possible gi - how to make it through the night

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tam O Ham

Reaction score
My little lionhead Fizz isn't eating. She doesn't seem to be in pain if laying all stretched out and chill is any indication, its just that I can't even tempt her with her favorite treats. Her stomach isn't swollen or hard so I don't think its gas. She lets me pretty much touch her anywhere and doesn't pull away or indicate pain. There's no vet available until tomorrow morning. I've been syringing her some water between her teeth and she's peed (when I was syringing her) but I suspect it may be gi as she is a very hairy bun and I stupidly switched her hay earlier this week to something healthier that she wasn't interested in eating. What can I do to keep her doing well through the night until we can get to the vet? I have critical care as well as meloxicam left over from her leg incident. The last time I know of that she ate for sure was late this morning when she mugged me for some treats. I also just got 3 ml of critical care into her about ten minutes ago.

okay, update:

I ended up giving her the meloxicam because why not? And got another syringe of water in her. About two hours after that I went in with the syringe of critical care for her second dosing and she, in sheer self-defense I'm sure, ate some of her favorite treats I'd left out. Well, that held me at bay long enough for her to move on to a few mouthfuls her now restored favorite hay. Its been an hour since then and we've moved on to parsley and romaine (and some more papaya treats) and gotten a few smallish but still decent sized poops as well as a spot of discolored pee. Then, since its way past her usual time, she demanded to be allowed outside to play (in the dark), briefly snooped around and now we're eating another stalk of parsley. I'm still fretty but we're both doing much better and things are looking good.

Since she's eating leafy greens and veg, I would keep offering those. Sometimes a rabbit that won't eat hay or pellets, will still be inclined to eat leafy greens/herbs. Feeding those will also help hydrate your bun.

I will usually try gas drops at the start. If none of that works, sometimes I will try meloxicam, but only if the rabbit doesn't have bloat. Meloxicam has to be accompanied with some food and fluids. I will only ever syringe critical care if the rabbit absolutely doesn't have bloat and I know for certain the lack of appetite isn't being caused by a blockage, because you don't want to be syringing food into a rabbit with bloat or a complete blockage.

Remove all the treats and pellets. Make sure she has lots of hay and water. She can have some veggies but soak them in water first so she gets water from them. I hope she gets better!

Latest posts

Back