Possible ear mites/fur mites

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetie

Reaction score
Well I took a look at Pudden's ears and it looks like he may have ear mites or fur mites. When I took some flakes off his ears, a tiny bit of fur came off. He is not bald however. I am taking both Sweetie and Pudden in to see the vet tomorrow, Saturday, April 27, 2013 to see if they do in fact have ear mites/fur mites. I have enough on my care credit for both to be seen and checked. I may pick up revolution from the vet if it will be cheaper than doing the ivermectin shots. I have put mineral oil in their ears just in case. Which if it is ear mites I will do the treatment for three weeks, which is the lifespan of the ear mites. Anything I can do until tomorrow morning when I go to the vet with Sweetie and Pudden?

Onto the good news: Sweetie and Pudden are not fighting when I have them together on my bed. Of course the bed smells of the cats, but still that is an accomplishment. Sweetie went over to Kitty, one of the cats, and sat next to her as if to tell me "I am ready to be bonded". So I tested it and Sweetie and Pudden didn't fight at all. Today while outside, Sweetie humped Pudden, and they didn't fight. So I think that they will bond eventually.

Ear and fur mites aren't an immediate emergency, so you're good just waiting until tomorrow. One thing about if you decide to go with ivermectin. I couldn't tell from your picture, what kind of rabbit your white rabbit is, but some rabbits are sensitive to ivermectin, and it can cause a toxic reaction. So if your rabbit has dutch genetics or is a blue eyed white, then you may want to go with the revolution.

The white rabbit in my picture is no longer alive. He is a netherland dwarf. He passed away on August 31, 2011.

Pudden is a polish dwarf, same color as Sweetie, black.

None of my rabbits have dutch in them. Although I have to watch Sweetie if she get a shot of ivermectin because I don't know all the breeds she has in her.

Update on Pudden and Sweetie: No ear mites or fur mites, just ear wax. But the vet is concerned about Sweetie's right ear, which has two red spots right about where her eardrum is. The vet told me that it would be wise to clean their ears two to three times per week to keep them clean and healthy. Everything else is very good. Need to keep them on timothy hay to keep their teeth in good shape. I am glad that they don't have ear mites/fur mites. I am going to keep them very well groomed every single day.

Latest posts

Back