Possible cause of bunny death?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My bunny Noodle died this morning, and I am very upset about it. But I don't know why she died at all. She was happy running around the last two days when we got back from holiday, but then the night we put her away she wasn't moving around or eating but then drinking a lot of water, then she went up to the top of the hutch where she lay down when no one could see her. Then in the morning she was just lying there eyes open on the floor of the hutch. Can someone tell me if it sounds like anything? I know we can't do anything about it now but it would be nice to know so we can prevent it or at least know the signs in our other rabbit if it happens. Also, get a new bunny as company for the other or not? :cry1:

This was from your other thread "we have removed the hawthorn and all the ivy now."

Ivy is toxic to rabbits. I know from experience that ivy is practically impossible to truly get rid of. If any roots were left, then new sprouts can come up and bunny might be eating them. Common signs of poisoning from ivy include lethargy, diarrhea and loss of appetite.

So sorry for you and your bunny. It's hard to tell what could have caused it - the signs you describe just indicate a very unwell rabbit. From your other thread it sounds like either there was some unresolved issue which slowly got to her or she was weakened by the first problems she had and caught something else. The only distinctive sign you describe is drinking a lot, which can indicate a kidney or liver failure. Considering you have another bunny, I would thoroughly desinfect everything Noodle touched with bleach just in case. Also, from what I gathered, you let your bunnies run outside in a garden. I would keep the remaining bunny inside from now on - while being outside is certainly exciting for the rabbit, it's also a source of danger (contamination by other species, more exposure to mosquitoes and flies, poisonous plants, the heat, not being able to control pee and poop or food intake which makes it hard to detect problems early on...). Considering you don't know what killed your bunny, it might still be out there. To be perfectly honest, I'm the kind of person who worries a LOT so I have a garden but my rabbits will never set a foot in it... too many death traps there.

Thanks, Yes, she had a problem before that could have weakened her. They have lived outside for most of their life and now we don't know if it is smart to try introducing a new sister to her? But bubble is very nervous bunny and is more scared now she is alone as Noodle used to be the one that would literally eat anything that tried to harm them. Now she is alone she goes and sits on her sisters grave which is sad to see and she won't stop sniffing the ground and digging holes to sit in, I don't know if it is fear but maybe a new bunny would make it worse?

My dad wouldn't get rid of the ivy when it came back and told me I was being stupid trying to put a fence up to protect them from it,

It's normal for a bunny to grieve. They all do this in different ways - I heard of a rabbit who was screaming everytime someone attempted to touch him for weeks after his friend's death and Aki was a mess after her first companion died. Some rabbits don't do well alone. You need to let her calm down to see if that's true for Bubble, it will take time. It is often advised to leave the bunny alone for about 2 months before attempting to bond again so that the rabbit has the time to recover from the stress of losing their friend before entering the stress of establishing a new hierarchy and stuff anyway. Is Bubble spayed? If she isn't, you have to do that first before thinking about another bunny (it's for her health too). Second, I would not attempt to bond her with a female - 2 adult females not knowing each other is not likely to go well easily. Third and that's the main concern I would have if I were you : from what you say, the conditions in which your rabbit live aren't ideal. You don't know what killed Noodle, but living outside is not the best for rabbits to have long lives. So is it really wise to add another bunny in the same conditions? One day you won't live with your parents anymore and you can have bunnies in a correct setting but right now it sounds doubtful, from what you are saying... So I say wait and think it through...

Latest posts

Back