Poppy @ Marquette MI Humane Society

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK you all tomorrow I want to be working on times and places for everybun to meet and getting Poppy's place ready here but tonight I have cages to keep up on after having to run for supplies all day here.So far Poppy will be here the 12th and we have this run set is where we last were at(and then the snow storm set in YUK!)...Can anyone tell me how to do the details part of it..???

I will look back at all post tomorrow and try to coordinate something(AHHHH) to the bets of my ability for this little girl:) I am so excited to see her(and get her on PAIN ANTIBIOTIC/DRUGS)

Poppy arrives today at 4 PM(along with a little female DEGU)
I wanted to get everybuns phone numbers. I think McDonalds are great places to meet because every town has one....I was planning the run for when??? When can we do this? Deb Golfdiva goes on Vacation the 18th. Debbie Golfdiva driving to Chicago, Naturestee picking up there and driving to meet KRSAS to Sheboygon/Appleton Area...right? Please leave phone numbers for me-let me know if Sunday would work you guys:)

How is Poppy doing?

If you are planning on transporting yet next week, I'll see what I can do. Otherwise I return home on Jan. 3 and am available most anytime. I believe you have my phone numbers?

You might want to do this via email, as people may be hesitant to post their phone number on line!

OK Debbie:) I should have thought that....I am sorry to be such a rookie-WELL AND::))))hahahahahee!!!!
POPPY!! IS!! HERE!! YOU!! ALL!!!
:((( OH SHE IS THE SWEETEST LITTLE DARLING-such a nice bunny....but someone has hurt her-I think there is more going on but have just had her such a short time I should not be making assumptions yet.....what a cutie pie little STINKER:)Got her started on PAIN MEDS RIGHT OFF THE BAT!!! and baytril...and veges and some papaya enzymes...will give her an injection later as I could not bare to now....She has the "TUB" room all decked out safe and warm with a cat "HUGGIE"....so glad she is here ALIVE and safe you all...so glad and thankful!!
ALSO a little female degu came named Luna-we lost our Magenta last week-heartbroken as I was I knew I had better pickup and find Angel a friend ASAP...and did!! She came with Poppy:) They have taken off together amazingly and are flying high in their super silent safety spinners as we speak:)and little Poppy rests next to me here....
Ok you guys-please tell me a day that is good for you. I have the mediocations all down and purchased to send with our Poppy...I will make sure she has them PRE roadtrip...I dont know how to properly put this together and need help...certainly I dont wana "kick Poopy outta the bath tub" but thats not fais or her there either...Help in any way shape or form is so much apprecitaed:) THANK YOU!!

I can do pretty much anytime tomorrow if that is still an option? Otherwise I will be in Oshkosh at our vet all day on Tuesday with our gang if Tuesday works and maybe she could meet us there? Otherwise just keep me posted and I will work something out!

Can you give me a little more info on her medical condition (or at least what you can see so far what is going on?) Just trying to get prepared for her and make enough room on our vets schedule for what might need to be done (xrays etc...)

yes but I am not sure yet what I am seeing --now--after seeing her a couple hours so I evaluate.....she is not what was described to me(whats freakin new)XRAYS A MUST I will take her in Tuesday and digitally email you them if I have to-and she is still here) I am syringing feeding CC which Poppy gobbled down like she was starving:( even after offering fresh parley and green wonderfully fresh clean romaine:(( I am so sad.It is as if her pelvis bone(s) are fractured:(( I do not want her put down...she is on pain drug Metacam and I will send some along with baytril(small animal injectible) unless I find out I have time to order banana/raisin flavored edible 40mg.baytril and I will get some to go with as her she gobbled up a 40 mg baytril banana real good and too sadly had to have a shot as well(HT-she needs both):(( of PenG(1/2cc)Please pray for her...something has happened to this bunny...someone HURT her....her one back leg works but the pelvic area is where lies the problem. She gives KISSES AND KISSES AND MORE KISSES and licks you up and loves you back what a baby...doesnt deserve to die-my God...where ever you hold her (like up by your neck or on your lap)she finds your skin to give KISSES to YOU....precious precious little entity oh my gosh..

Poor Thing... I know shelters do the best they can but sometimes I just feel like they treat rabbits as disposable. If this was a dog don't you think something like X-Rays would have been done?
If you can get some Banana baytril I would LOVE to get some from you! Our vet has never even mentioned this as an option for ordering!?!? I just picked up more of the injectable which I mix with yogurt but you can tell they still hate it! Id be happy to even buy some off of you as we use Baytril all the time with our sanctuary buns and it is a battle every time.
Is it possible she has splay leg? I havent seen her obviously but we had a little bun come to us like this who couldnt use three of her limbs and they all looked "broken" until we X-rayed her and discovered it was splay-leg. Her head was on sideways as well, but this was due to her condition rather than a head tilt. Take a look at our website (www.krsmallanimalsanctuary.vpweb.com) Walter and Flipper were the two splay legs that came in, both with very deformed looking legs and Flipper had an OBVIOUS sideways head (and gave more kisses than I have ever gotten in my life!!) Look up the Max factor Gene or Splay Leg as well... some good pics of splay-leg Bunnies.... Might give you something to compare to. Again, usually these bunnies have STIFF limbs as oppossed to floppy which indicates a break.
Obviously if they are floppy we are probably looking at a break somewhere.... But if it is splay leg, she likely doesnt need any of the meds as these bunnies live completely happy, generally pain free lives, they are just a little "broken"
If you have a digital camera, do you think you could shoot me a pic of her? Id love to see her and maybe I can try to help you get an idea of what is going on with the leg if it is anything I have seen come through here.
Just a thought?!? Lol... I know it is frustrating, thanks so much for getting the first legwork done on her!
Keep me posted on her! I work most of the week, but I can probably get Kristin to do a short drive if necessary or if someone wouldnt mind keeping her overnight, I could pick her up some morning before noon-ish

I can keep her here in kenosha becca... if you need.. my week is hectic so I can't drive but I can house if you need an overnighter or two.
Betsy

I have put in an order for 100 banana tabs(40mgs ea.)....I will be sending Poppy with at least 40 to continue the care I have started for her-she is on bicillin(inj), baytril 2 X's daily) and 1/2 cc of metacam 2 X's/BID...I am trying to get a smaller thing of metacam to send with her-the large ones we get are anound $110.00 and I just cant afford to do that and send the baytril and have the exrays done with ck up on bun we wont adopt out and ask for donate back(I AM SORRY BUT WILL PROMISE YOU TO DO EVERY SINGLE THING I CAN) but along with Poppy we hoped to send a fully vetted(wellchecked and already fixed bun) from here...I am sorry and I HATE to sound like money is an object because to me it is NOT and I will BEG if I have to to help(but am on a WALK BY FAITH AND NOT BY SIGHT trust with God)...I do NOT want to pass on a vet bill to you and am so grateful that Poppy is now not just dead...Oh and for your help to keep her alive....You have to believe me on that:)AND she is the sweetest little thing in the world...On her ppw it says they do not think she is in pain-WELL I AM SORRY-SHE IS and has cont. to stop eating when no pain meds are admin. except a small amt./ for her to sustain her very life in my humble opin. I syringe fed CC and she gobbled it like she had not eaten in days!!! Since then fresh greens are offerd twice a day-we get special pellets sent in that have "yucca" from Kent. Grass hay, tim. hay and 2 others(Orchard and Brom)-I feed a pecan or walnut twice a day and a peice of banana too...UGH...let me call the person that brought her to the MHS and see what info they offer(tho honestly in my exper. these surrenderers do nothing but lie
:(..the MHS noted when she was surrend. they brought her to a vet that said she was not in pain-I am sorry-I beg to diffe and she nees to stay on pain meds and I will provide her them to go with her...and of course abx too.
I hope you wont think I am obnoxious here...just want th best at this point for a little bunny thats a sweetheart and so worth every ounce of energy I have to give to her!

Any idea when this will be happening? When can someone get her to Chicago? Like I said, I can pick her up from there and then it's only about 2 hours for KRSAS to get to me.

I can also overnight her if needed, but preferably not more than a night or two as she'd have to be in my cold basement. I can give oral meds no problem and can do sub-q shots if needed.

KRSAS, can your vet get flavorings to compound with other meds? My vet does this routinely. His favorite for rabbits is green apple. My second-favorite vet at the clinic likes bubble gum flavor for rabbits. I've had one bun try to steal the syringe from her bondmate with that flavor, although the one needing the meds much preferred green apple.:)

OH GEESE I wanted to write to you and forgot...Yogurt being a milk product will "deaden" or take away most of any theraputic relief from the antibiotic mixing it together and bunnies cannot digest "milk" products/proteins-the yogurts live cultures or "probiotics" that work so good for us humans do not at all impact bunnies ....Better to mix batril injetible with baby rice ceral or even corn syrup called Karo syrup.... we have the dose to mix it here-shall I send it along?? ASlso I have ordered extra banana baytril 40 mgs ones for your buniies:)0 They dont have a long "shelf" life-I found out with the raison ones it was less than 2 months tho we still effectivly used them....I ordered 100(figuring 2 times daily for 4-6 pound bun) for one month will be about 50-60...maybe you need more...If you do no problem...let me know....some of ours LOVE the rais...some HATE it:(( some LOVE the banana ones...which I feel like we have had the best luck with.....why I ordered you them too for yours there(OH MY GOSSSSH THEY LOVE THEM)...If you need the other that is fine let me kow or more nana Flav:)

Oh, totally missed the yogurt comment! Agreed, it's not good for mixing with antibiotics for any animal and it's not recommended for use in rabbits at all any more because they can't digest milk products easily. If you need a probiotic (given several hours after oral antibiotics), use Benebac. It's more effective than acidophilus, the bacteria in yogurt.

My preferred mix-in for oral meds (or Critical Care, or a fast syringe feeding while CC is soaking) is canned pumpkin. I feed it as a treat to my rabbits and also when they are shedding heavily to help move everything along.

I hate to say this, but I thinkyou better talk to Haley and see if you can find another way to get Poppy to Chicago. It's getting too close to our leaving on vacation, and I just don't think I'll have time to drive 6 hours!

If this hasn't happened yet when I get back, I'd be happy to help then!

Sorry!

Wow... So I go to work for a few hours and this page goes crazy! WOW!

Ok.. We got some injectable Baytril, only 20cc of 100mg but at usually only around .25 or less, that should last awhile, at least till we get another bottle in! So Dont worry about sending the injectable, the banana flavored would be awesome if you can, but again, dont worry if you cant! I have plenty of access to Metacam as well, so dont worry about sending a bottle... Enough to get her through transport should do!

Thanks for the Yogurt advice. I only did that for a few days to no avail anyway. Found that CC or Organic Applesauce/Banana Baby food were a little better at masking it! Good to know about the yogurt though. I was told to use it years ago by a different vet and never really questioned it. We used to use it on our hamster every time he got sick so I never even thought twice! I have given it to my buns on antibiotics ever since... I have benebac by the caseload, I should probably use that instead! Thanks!

Ill have to check on the flavoring compounds... I dont know if either of them can or not. They have never offered it despite knowing we struggle with especially Baytril. My rabbits love the flavored liquids, especially Sulfatrim which is Cherry flavored. I lose more syringes to rabbit teeth with that stuff!!!!!

If we can get this bun transferred in the next few days, I can definitely get the xrays done, but I agree that it would be a priority to determine her treatment course if the transport wont be able to take place for some time....

Ok... I think I hit all the points lol! If not... yell :)

Oh geese I have been so worried about saying anything about anything anymore I simply dont know what is ok and whats not...I so want just the best for this little sweet thing..OH GOLL u will LOVE her...shoot...she is a heart bunny and heart breaker and I want to get you pics to get you a better idea ASAP...it looks like I will have to ask Haley for help Deb is going on vacation(and we love you sweetie HAVE FUN) but and too I have already ordered stuff to send with Poppy for you....I dont want to just send you some work and a special bun with another vet bill-gee:(...I want to send you help with this little darling becuz I dont have room...I so appreciate YOUR offer...I want to help too however I can...OK???:)))
As I said YOU WILL LOVE HER-she has been sleeping me all night EVERY night(so I could eval. breath/heart etc...which are seemingly good thru steth and thru just side by side...she lciks up all my tears....every single night when I cry.....she is quite the little bun I will tell you!

Latest posts

Back