Poor Nibbles!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am so sorry Leanne. I dont know what myxi isbut it doesnt sound to good. I will be praying that both nibbles androxy recover from this terrible illness. :sad:

[align=center]MYXOMATOSIS HELP LINE[/align]

[align=left]THINGS YOU CAN DO TO HELP.

1. [align=left]Use a small aromatherapy Oil burner in the room where yourrabbit is staying and burn a mix of 2 drops of eachEucalyptus, Tea Tree, and Elemi oil this will help the Rabbit to breathas the swelling around the nose can sometimes cause breathingdifficulties.
    [/align]

2. [align=left]Put 2 drops of each of the oils mentioned above onto asmall cotton wool ball then place that near his or her cage over nightto aid them through the night not wanting to leave the burnerunattended and risk a fire.
    [/align]

3. [align=left]Smear Vapor rub (Vicks or similar) onto a piece of card andplace on top of a hot water bottle, the heat will help the vapor riseinto the surroundings and this can help the breathing.
    [/align]

4. [align=left]Place a saucer of water in the cage because sometimes theswelling around the mouth can make it sore for them to use their usualbottle, or if your Rabbit is a house Rabbit place several saucersaround on the floor in what ever room goes to give him plenty of chanceto drink.
    [/align]

5. [align=left]Try to keep their eyes free from discharge by using lukewarm black tea or luke warm water and cotton buds (the kind forcleaning your ears) to very gently wipe with a rolling motion away thedischarge. If the eyes are too swollen and sore then wrap your bunny ina towel and place another on your lap then gently hold his or her eyeopen and get someone else to use cotton wall balls and soak them in theluke warm black tea then squeeze the cotton wall ball letting the teaflood the eye from one end and the white discharge will be washed outthe other end then using clean cotton wall balls with a little teaclean the rest of the face area near the eyes to soften the crustysores then when your rabbit washes he or she will get some of it off.

[/align]

6. [align=left]If your rabbit stops eating then you can try to feed himwith a mixture put through a blender or liquidizer made up ofthe following

1 part rabbit pellet (Excell) or some thing similar try to get a pellet with a good content of fibre
    1 part pumpkin flesh
    1 part unsweetened pineapple juice

mix together, then blend into a purée the pineapple juiceshould soften the pellets enough then with a large gauge syringeavailable from your vets or chemist feed this to your rabbit thisshould help keep his strength up.
    [/align]

7. [align=left]If your vet gives you medicine that needs to be put in yourrabbits mouth try putting it on a cut up seedless grape our rabbitloves this and is now hooked on grapes. [/align]
[align=left]General advice.
Keep a check on your rabbit and their cage or hutch for any signsof fleas as rabbit fleas are one of the carriers of the virus also youcan use Vet kem Acclaim (which you should be able toget from your vets) to clean out your cage or hutch this helps controlthe chance of fleas. If you have cats or dogs then regularly check andtreat them for fleas because they can bring rabbit fleas home on themif they go out into the fields or gardens which have other rabbits in.In Europe the mosquitoes are a major vector of the virus in Britainthere is strong circumstantial evidence that mosquitoes or gnats cancarry the virus so just keep a good eye on your pet, also be aware thatif you get foxes in your garden at night looking for food they couldalso bring the fleas in to the area if they have been near rabbits thathave got the virus. Even if you live in a town area as we dowhich is very built up you may still get them as we do.[/align][/align]

Radar wrote:
Smear Vapor rub (Vicks or similar) onto a piece of card andplace on top of a hot water bottle, the heat will help the vapor riseinto the surroundings and this can help the breathing.
When I was a kid and got a cold, my Grams would take an empty coffeecan, put a tablespoon of Vick's in it, and then fill the can abouthalfway with boiling water. She would leave this on the night stand atnight to help with the congestion. It worked kind of like a vaporizor.

:pray:

~Jim

Oh Leanne, I'm so sorry to hear about Nibblesand Roxy. I'll be praying that not only both will pullthrough, but also for the others not to get it too.

Oh Leanne what terrible news! :(:(

I hope Nibbles and Roxy come through okay..

Ill be praying for you and all youre bunnies..

..and speaking of Vicks, they now make a Vicks plug-in .. you dont even need the humidifier anymore!

Thinking about you, Leanne.

-Carolyn

Wow thanks for all the great advice. I will be sure to try a few things later.

They dnt seem to be any different today than yesterday unfortuntely andi have the vets first thing tomorrow morning so we'll have to see bythen,

Thanks for all the thoughts

leanne x

Oh Leanne, my heart goes out to you andyour babies, were your bunnies vaccinated against myxo? I know here inAustralia there is no vaccine against it which is just plain dumb, butanyway I hope that there is some sort of medication that you can getthat will help them.

I'd definately be talking to your regular vet when they return to work if I were you.

I sure will be thinking of you.

Goodluck:purplepansy:

Dear Leanne,

You, Nibbles and Roxy have been on my mind all weekend. I knowyesterday you were meeting with the vet. Didn't want to write you thenbecause I wasn't sure you'd be up for responding.

Just know that you and Nibbles are Roxy are continually in my thoughts and prayers.

-Carolyn

Sorry i havent written in a while.

The vet didnt put either of them down, although thats not to say theyare better. he explained that it can take three weeks to clear and thatif it were his rabbits, he'd keep trying with the treatment.so thats what we have decided to do. We have to take them into the veteveryother day for an injection and see how things go .

They are both eating and drinkin which is good(but Nibbles doesstruggle so i have to chop it up into small bits, she doesnt eat herregular food - just fruit and veg) , but Nibbles in particular stilllooks really bad (i will try and upload some pictures of them later)she has a lot of discharge coming from her nose and a bit from her eyestoo, she doesnt really open her eyes either. i have been told toregularly bathe them in salt water. I am also continuing tosteam them and its a lot of work but i am hoping it will pay off.

Leanne x

ariel wrote:
Oh Leanne, my heart goes out to you and your babies,were your bunnies vaccinated against myxo? I know here in Australiathere is no vaccine against it which is just plain dumb, but anyway Ihope that there is some sort of medication that you can get that willhelp them.

I'd definately be talking to your regular vet when they return to work if I were you.

I sure will be thinking of you.

Goodluck:purplepansy:

I think there is a vaccine against mycomatosis but none of my rabbitshave it as it is quite expensive but hopefully if they get throughthis, i will try and get them vaccined it the future.

I forgot to mention in my last post that the rabbits have fleas andthats what has caused myxomatosis. So i havetreated all 4 of my rabbitsfor fleas in hope this will help the problem and to prevent the otherrabbits from getting it.

Leanne x

No news is good news! dont forget that! as long as the situation is not declining its a good thing :):)

Oh I am so happy you have a compassionate vet that wants to go the hard route and treat the sickness so agressively!!

I will continue to keep NIbbles and Roxy and you in my prayers!

I, too, will continue to keep Nibbles, Roxy, and You in my thoughts and prayers.

Praying - so hard, Leanne. :pray:

Keep your Hope alive.

:kiss:
-Carolyn

You sound as though you have a good vet there,Leanne. It does take time, and hard work, with myxi, and I am so gladyou are giving it a try. Just remember, we are all here for you. I willbe keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers again.

Jan

Back