Poor Lea

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSAR

Reaction score

Earlier tonight I took Kalea out of her cage and she fell/jumped from my arms. She was not very high up, only about 3 or so feet, but anyway she did a couple of bun flips and her mouth hit a bucket.

We picked her up and made sure she was fine and then we noticed that she was licking her mouth and we opened her mouth and found a relatively deep cut on her lip. My sister took her up to the house and rinsed it and cleaned it all up. She is doing fine except it is hard for her to eat because her lip is swollen. We gaver her some of the bunny salad we made and it was pretty cute to watch her try and eat it. Her lip is pretty swollen and we are watching to make sure she is ok.

My other doe Autumn has jumped out of my arms before and twice she got a cut of her nose, not bad, and then the other day she jumped and did like this back flip thing and I saw her licking her teeth and I looked and she was bleeding between her two teeth. I never want to see another bunny fall like that again, all I remember is her leaping from my arms and I saw this fawn colored body flying thru the dark room and then hearin the thud of her body. They luckily never hurt themselves any more then a little cut. So far Autumn and Lea have been the only buns to do this. Autumn has issues when being put down somewhere and she doesn't let you finish getting down no matter how tight you hold her or what way. In these instances I wasn't holding them very tight, and ironically it has been only me that they have jumped off of or whatever and gotten hurt. I am going to be more careful when handling them now and hold them better. ;)

If you have any advice on how to keep the swelling down or anything else please let me know! Thanks.

Rabbits do this so easily, so you really have to be aware and ready for it, in a way.

You might be best taking her to the vets for pain medication and also incase she has done more damage than you can visually see.

Yesterday when it happened it was to late to go the the emergency vet I think, I don't know when they close. Today I have know idea what emergency vets are or aren't open. Plus it hard to find a rabbit savvy vet down here. I don't even know of one. There are ones in the phone book that say they take small and exotic animals but I doubt they would even know what to do.

I will update this as soon as we do the morning feed rounds. That should be around 11 am Pacific time here. We wake up late on weekends (and spring break) and then we usually don't go until 10 or 11. I may go earlier just because I am wondering how she is.

Okay we got back in from checking the bunnies and Kalea seems fine. She has been eating and drinking, she was running around, normal poops. Everything a baby bunny would do! However her lip is stillpretty swollen, we are going to keep aclose eye on it to make sure it heals nicely.By the way she is eight weeks old today!

The vet we are able to take our bunnies to is Fords Prairie Animal Clinic, Amanda. And it's a 24-hour Emergency Clinic, which means someone is always on call,and they are rabbit savvy. Just only like 10 minutes away from us, too. :)

Emily

Well, I still stand by what I said about getting her to a vet to look for damage you can't see and pain meds. It must really hurt the poor little girl.

I don't think it hurts her as much now, and she's been eating, drinking, playing, doing everything. There's not much a vet can do (since the cut is inside the lip) and it's already begun to heal over very nicely (as cuts inside the mouth tend to do). We'll be watching her though, to make sure, and if she seems in pain, we will take her to the vet ;)

Emily

Rabbit's will hide pain as much as they can, so just because you don't see it, doesn't mean she isn't feeling awful.

As for what the vets can do, they could check inside her mouth to make sure she hasn't done any damage inside, because if there is damage inside presumably her teeth could be misalignd or she might have cuts or an area that might be prone to abscess that might need to be watched.

I'm only saying what I would do if that was mine. I would also be bathing the cut, depending on where it was (I know it was described but its a bit hard to know exactly how or where it is and whether bathing would be possible), with cooled boiled, salted water.

Ok thanks Flashy.

We are bathing it (it's like on her left upper lip) and keeping it clean and all. We will check it when we go out to clean cages after we get home from running some errands. :) And we'll take a picture of it, the best we can.

Emily

Back