Poor Bambam =:(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyMummy

Reaction score
My poor little girl is lying on an operating table as I type. Bambam is being neutered and I know it's the best thing for her, but I can't help worrying for her.

Has anyone got any after care tips to make my little fluff ball more comfortable?

XX

Make sure to get pain meds for Bambam. If the vet doesn't offer them, then ask. She should recurperate in a quiet place where she can't jump around and hurt herself (if there is a second level in her cage, remove it). Have hay, food and water within easy reach. Keep an eye on her output - she should be pooping within 24 hours. Some rabbits enjoy a warm rice sock to snuggle up to.

Here's hoping for a quick, pain-free recovery for Bambam!:sickbunny:

BunnyMummy wrote:
Thanks guys, whats a rice sock?????
It's a homemade thing.
Take an old sock (NO HOLES!!) and fill it 3/4 with uncooked rice (Carolina, Uncle Ben's, etc).
Then heat it in the microwave until it's warm....not hot.

Well the vet finally called at about 10.30pm and we went to pick Bambam up. She was all groggy, and tried to stand but kept falling.

Finally she gave up and went to sleep, we kept her in the carry case by the side of the bed, and I kept checking she was okay. I was terrified that she would stop breathing.

This morning at ten to seven, I opened the lid and there she was lifting up her head to see what was going on. She is very delicate still, but we put her in her own pen in the basement so she can be near Pebbles, but they cant get to each other. she is back at the vets tonight to get a painkiller injection, and to be checked over.

She's such a brave girl.

Update - So I took little Bambam for a check up this evening, and as the doctor gave her her painkiller and anticeptic injections, she sat there like a brave girl.

I''ve been given some food, anibiotics, and a collar for her despite the fact that I hadnt seen her bite her stitches.

However all that changed when she got home, I fed her the liquid food, and sat with her on my lap, she seemed calm.

So I took her downstairs to her pen and arranged the blanket in there so she would be comfortable. As soon as I put her down she started to bite at her stitches the silly girl, so I picked her up and took her upstairs.

We tried and fumbled for ages with the collar and my poor lil bun was so distressed it broke my heart. When we did fit it after cutting it down ( she is ever so small) and tying it with a pink ribbon, she was so disorientated and agitated that she kept bumping into things and eventually got herself into such a tizzy that I just had to take it off her.

Next we tried to put a bandage around her midsectin but that just slipped down leaving the scar and stitches for her to bite at.

Then my husband hit on a genius idea, and ran upstairs.

He came down with a long football sock, cut off the toe end and cut four holes in it.

She is now sporting a lovely warm jumper that completely covers her wound and she cant lick or bite at it. Plus she looks adorable.

Hopefullly that will give the wound time to heal with no pesky little teeth biting away at it..

Thanks guys for your kind words, will try to get some pics up soon.

Love

Sammi and Bambam

(Not forgetting Pebbles) =:)

Your vet gave you an e-collar for her? Rabbits do not do well at all with those, as you just found out. Is your vet rabbit savvy? Best wishes for your little girl, I'm sure she will be bouncing around like normal in a couple of days.

14082008322-1.jpg
Feeney08

Im so glad shes doing ok! I was just going to suggest the sock when I scrolled down and saw your pic. Would you mind if I save that picture for our Library files? Im doing a thread on alternatives to e-collars (since they are so horrid for rabbits).

We'd be happy for you to use the pic Hayley. xx

Thanks guys for all your support, bambam is not quite herself, but she is getting there, she is feeling a little bit sorry for herself, but I'm giving her lots of cuddles (gently of course) xx

Latest posts

Back