Poor Ack!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatsMySimi

Reaction score
Well, it has been hot here - really hot here. And Poor Ash is stuck in my room, where I can't/don't open windows, with only a fan to keep him cool... I've got a bottle of water freezing for him right now, but is there anything quick I can do for him while I'm waiting for the water to freeze?

Thanks

Do you have any tile flooring, a bathroom, etc? That usually helps as tiles maintain a temp. lower than room temp. You can very lightly mist his ears.

We don't have any tiling really, none that would cool him down...

His water is probably mostly frozen now, I hope... Then I'll put a few more in right away - this week is going to be a hot one!

Any particular reason why you wont open a window? Doesn't your room smell awefully stale :shock:?

Misting his ears is a great idea, as above, it will really help him until the water is frozen.

NZminilops wrote:
Any particular reason why you wont open a window? Doesn't your room smell awefully stale :shock:?
If, and just if, the reason you don't want to open a window is in case something gets in, you could maybe get some sort of screen to cover the window with? That's just if though, you may have some completely different reason lol...

A ceramic tile put in the freezer for a bit I've heard is good, and some people have reccommended hanging damp towels/sheets over the cage? Never tried it myself though...

I'm just weird. I don't like bug and such getting into my room, however, they haven't been bad, but I need new screening in my room...

He has his water bottle now, and has 3 freezing for after, but he's trying to chew the bottle... I'm thinking of putting an ice cude in his water dish...

I always put ice in my bunnie's water when it's hot out. I take a big ol' bucket of ice, LOL, cause I've got 25 bowls to put ice in. I also use a mister bottle to spray cool water on their ears, that seems to make them feel much better. Their ears are basically their "air conditioners". Like a human being sheds heat through the top of his head, bunnies shed it through their ears, so cooling the ears cools the bunny.

I agree with the tiles. All of mine love them. You can get them really cheap at Home Depot .99 cents or less.

A window air conditioner too would be good. They are also really cheap now. I've seen them at Wallymart for $99.00. Gosh when I bought ours a few years ago (for our bedroom because Buttercup's cage was in there) it was like $399.00 for the same BTU. If I were you you should tell your parents you need an air conditioner in your bedroom. Hey they are great if you have allergies.Just my :twocents

Susan:running bunny

Personally, I'd say apart from keeping him cool with the A/C and other ways. you really should try and get a window open if you can, even if only for a bit. If nothing else, it will give him some fresh air, which can't do him any harm! Especially if it's as hot as you say over there right now... it'd be good for him to have some fresh air in there :)

I would KILL to have a portable air-con unit here... Even though we get nowhere near the high temps.... it gets really stuffy and humid here.... :(

You can buy screens that just fit in the window opening and spread apart for the width of the window. They are inexpensive and you can usually find them at Walmart or a hardware store. It can't be too healthy for you never mind the bunny to not have any fresh air in your room.

Roger

OK, lets see if it will post this time. Run a few towels or sheets through the wash on cold. drape a towel over the top of the cage and hange one in front of the fan between the cage and the fan. This will help drop the temp in the room. You do need to get your window open though to let some fresh air in.

You will need to change the towels out a few times throughout the day depending on how hot it is in the room.

Hope this helps!!

troy

Latest posts

Back