Poopy Bum

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bammalone

Reaction score
Hi, I have 2 dwarf bunnies, possibly lion head mixes, who are sisters. I’ve had them since they were babies and they’re approximately 5 years old (can’t remember exactly the year right now). One of them has been having a poopy butt where she has cocotropes in mass on here bum. Then I have to try and clean it off as best I can and it’s terrible. I feel so bad for her. I’ve changed her diet some, but this is what I feed them.
Something green in the morning, like celery or green beans, parsley. In the evening I give them a big bowl of spring mix, minus the spinach, parsley or cilantro, sprinkles of shredded carrots on top (not a lot). Of course they have plenty of hay, usually Timothy, but right now I have a mix of Timothy and orchard grass. They have a little bows of pellets and at bedtime I give them a tiny piece of dried apple, like a half inch by half inch. I’ve stopped giving them broccoli and the carrots. They are both pretty good hay eaters and Daisy has no problems, but Daffodil is constantly having a messy butt. What should I do?

If I were you I’d cut out all the leafy greens entirely and just do hay and pellets till her poop became more solid. After it was under control I’d slowly reintroduce a green or two while monitoring to make sure her digestive system can handle it.

Hay only diet (get a variety of grass hays), nothing else for at least a couple of weeks. Then gradually add in tiny amounts of other foods, wait two weeks between introductions and keep a food diary so you have a chance of figuring out what sets it off. Avoid fruit and carrots. Don't give more than 1 tbsp pellets a day.

Okay, I will do that. They’re not going to be very happy with me though. I do have an appointment at the vet next week too. Thank you so much for your advice!

If I were you I’d cut out all the leafy greens entirely and just do hay and pellets till her poop became more solid. After it was under control I’d slowly reintroduce a green or two while monitoring to make sure her digestive system can handle it.
Thank you so much. I will do that.

Some rabbits are just much more sensitive about what foods their gut will tolerate. So what works fine for one rabbit apparently isn't working for the other. As has been suggested, it's a matter of playing detective and figuring out what she's having trouble with. Some rabbits can't handle too many (or any) pellets. Others can't handle a particular green or fruit.

By feeding just hay for awhile, it allows the tummy to get back to normal. Then, as you add greens back into her diet (only one type at a time) you should be able to figure it out. When you add in your first green -- cilantro for example -- offer it one day and monitor poos. If all is well, offer it again the next day, checking those poos. Keep offering the cilantro for about 5 days to be sure she's tolerating it. After those 5 days, you can switch to (or add in) a different type of green. Follow that procedure for each type of green so that you'll know which one(s) is/are causing the problem.

If you want,, before you try a complete diet change, I would try the most likely culprits, the apple, carrot, and anything else sugary/starchy. If there isn't improvement after a couple of days, I would next remove pellets. If it's not cleared up after a few days with that change I would remove all the veggies and just feed unlimited grass hay. In severe cases it can sometimes take several weeks on hay only, for the cecums microbial balance to be restored and cecotropes to not come out mushy anymore.

https://rabbit.org/intermittent-soft-cecotropes-in-rabbits/
https://rabbit.org/disorders-of-the-cecum/
With these diet changes, it's important to ensure your rabbit is eating the hay really well and to monitor body condition and weight for unhealthy weight loss. I would also offer a salt lick since your rabbit won't be getting dietary sodium from the pellets(if they've been removed). And of course monitor for any abnormal changes of behavior or deteriorating condition, and call your knowledgeable rabbit vet if you have any concerns.

Back