Pooping outside litter box

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ancoal7

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have posted on here a few times this past week and have found it REMARKABLY helpful. I wanted to ask about pooping outside the litter box. When I first brought Stella home she immediately took to the litter box, not a single accident outside her litter box (neither in her cage or on the floor in my room).

However, after I brought her to my parents house for the first time she started pooping (not peeing) outside her litter box sometimes. I thought it was because of my parents dogs -- marking her territory. But, even when I got her back home she continued to do this. It seems to be getting worse and worse (it started over a month ago). She never poops outside her cage but constantly poops outside her litter box. This isn't the end of world, but it means I have to change/clean BOTH her bedding and littler box multiple times per day as opposed to maybe once per week. Where as before, I could clean her litter box once per day and be done.

Everything I found online simply suggested I take the poop and put it back into her littler box -- which I do all the time, but it doesn't seem to be helping much.

ANY advice is greatly appreciated, I would really like to get her back to staying completely contained to her litter box. (by the way, she does still poop in her litter most of the time, but still poops outside it quite a bit, too).

Very few buns are completely trained on poop. They make so many a day they'd have to sit in their box all day :)

She is more than likely marking her territory. Is she spayed? When I got Agnes spayed I was amazed at how her poop improved. She was near perfect, until I got Archie then she started marking her territory again :$

Anyway, keep poops picked up, get her spayed, limit the space she is allowed free run, that's pretty much all you can do.

agnesthelion wrote:
Very few buns are completely trained on poop. They make so many a day they'd have to sit in their box all day :)

She is more than likely marking her territory. Is she spayed? When I got Agnes spayed I was amazed at how her poop improved. She was near perfect, until I got Archie then she started marking her territory again :$

Anyway, keep poops picked up, get her spayed, limit the space she is allowed free run, that's pretty much all you can do.

She is spayed.

My husband complains about the constant supply of cocoa puffs. I tell him to be content, it means they are pooping, so no vet bill. :p

Mine are great at using the box in their enclosures, but when they come into common areas they feel the need to mark. At least they keep all pee to a box. In the common areas I give them a box to share so they can mark pee in that box. It works well.

ancoal7 wrote:
She never poops outside her cage but constantly poops outside her litter box. This isn't the end of world, but it means I have to change/clean BOTH her bedding and littler box multiple times per day as opposed to maybe once per week.
what stands out to me here is the word "bedding" - try lining the cage with fleece or (if she doesn't chew on it) a soft towel and skipping the bedding entirely. the bedding can confuse them into thinking the whole cage is a litter box.

Latest posts

Back