poopie butt

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BertNErnie

Reaction score
hi everyone today i noticed that ernie has got a poopie butt its quite light brown and very squidgy, sorry for the info but i need to know whats caused this is it too much veg?

many thanks :nurse:

what's your bunny's diet? How old is he/she? And diet changes recently? Is he/she on any meds?

Bunnylova4eva wrote:
what's your bunny's diet? How old is he/she? And diet changes recently? Is he/she on any meds?

he is around 5-6months well before i got them the lady next door didnt feed them very well and now i think personally that im feeding them very well they get unlimited hay, a mixture of dried food and pellets and fresh veg and herbs each day, so i guess them living with me has been a diet change totally i have had them for just over a week and would hate to think that i have done something wrong :pray:

neither are taking any meds either :?

The change may have been a bit sudden for their digestive system. Ernie may be just a little more sensitive.

I would suggest to cut out the greens for a couple days, then start re-introducing them slowly after his poops go back to normal. Try one vegetable at a time for a couple days. If all poops good, then go to the next one. This way you can figure out if he's reacting to a particular food or just the sudden switch.

When you say mixture of dried food and pellets, what does that mean? Pellets should be very plain, just the pellets. If it has colored bits or seeds in the mix then it's not a very healthy food (the bag or pet store may make it seem good, but it's honestly junk food).

Unlimited hay is excellent :)

its that dried commercial rabbit food has a mixture of dried veg and some pellet looking things in it i dont think they like it very much to be honest, the pelletts i give them are excel and they seem to like them much better just thought i would try and see which they preferred obviously i want the best for them so i think sticking to pellets and fresh veg and herbs would be much better :confused2:

I would recomend Oxbow or another better quality food. When I first got Becky I thought I was giving her the best by getting the kind that said it had lots of fruits and vegetables in it. Turns out that kind of thing tastes good, but they put cheap fillers in it. It's better to have timothy based pellets rather than alfalfa based because they are lower in calories and calcium (avoids bladder sludge). Also if they list corn in the ingredients steer clear.

I think of a good quality pellet more like vitamens, you don't have to feed much but it should cover the spectrum of nutrients. Then the hay is your roughage, very important. Vegetables and herbs are excellent because they are low in carbohydrates but high in water and nutrients. Fruit is an occasional treat. Buns LOVE to eat constantly, and their GI system needs that. We just have to give them good choices or they end up "fluffy". Just ask Fraggles LOL (love you Fraggles!)

just throwing this out there, but I'm also wondering if its not the veggies. (as others already kinda said).
5-6 mo. is when they say to first *slowly* introduce veggies. My Ripley is 5 1/2 mo. and I still haven't done veggies because I tried a teeny bit of something and it totally got his GI tract messed up. I'm pretty sure that' the issue with your bunny. ALso, try to get him to eat as much hay as possible. that seems to help. (;

Hi, my sisters rabbit has the same problem that started recently. He is a little over a year, and a minilop rex mix, he hasn't been getting ANY veggies since it started, he eats the rabbit pellets and yogies, but we stopped giving him yogies(1-2 a day is what we had been giving him) it his getting very painful for him, we have been trying to get the poop that is matted with his fur almost every day, but it keeps getting worse. The poor rabbit doesn't like it much at all, please help!
also I forgot to put that he to has an unlimited amount of hay, and gets plenty of water.

My dwarf has poopy butt occasionally. He used to have it alot until we figured out which foods were causing it. I have had to give him many butt baths. He is so used to it after 3 years that he doesn't mind anymore. Butt baths soften up the poop and helps it come right off. Rabbits should only be eating hay and veggies. Pellets actually ruin their teeth! I would take away the pellets (they can also cause poopy butt) and introduce one veggie at a time to find out which is the culprit.

I had a problem with Cinder like this too. Found out I was overfeeding her. My vet said to give her a 1/2 cup of pellets 5 days a week, a veggie or fruit amount the size of their head once a day and two hand fulls of hay per day. I give her limited treats now too. So twice a week she and Ra-Ra have what I call "hay days". It has helped with the poopie butt a lot. Hope this helps for your buns bum:)

ok so i limited the amount of veggies and within 2 days its cleared up so instead of giving quite a variety i stick to under 4 in small quantities for now as ernie is such a gobbler :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back