Poop Issue

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madison

Reaction score
Hi there! I am Madison and am a first time poster here :). This looks like a helpful, friendly place so I thought I'd give it a go!

I have an issue and am running out of options, I hope someone here can help me! (And sorry if this is the wrong place to put this!)

My little Bonnie is a three year old female mini lop. For quite some time now, she has had issues with runny poop. It's not like diarrhea, usually is one large clump stuck to her.

I have been to the vet five times looking for help (not the same vet each time), no such luck. Each time they said it was a diet issue and three times gave her medicine, I followed their recommendations. (I do ask if the vet has had experience with rabbits, they say yes, but it's possible they're just saying that to get my business). They were aware of gastrointestinal disease, which is what they were treating, at least the three times she was given medicine.

As for her diet, it is very hard to get her to eat vegetables and she simply will not eat hay. I have tried different kinds. She does enjoy pellets but I don't give her too many of those. I don't give her chocolate or any human food and she always has access to water.

She isn't around any other animals and I don't think it's an environmental issue, as I recently moved house and it's still going on. She spends time both in and outside and when I am not watching her, she in safe in her hutch.

This doesn't happen everyday, but most days. It gets through her fur and isn't pleasant for either of us cleaning it up. Other than cleaning is up, it doesn't seem to bother her, she still runs around and plays, behaves normally, but obviously something is wrong or it wouldn't be happening.

I see a few people on here are from where I am, which is Christchurch, New Zealand. If you know of any good vet who actually knows about rabbits, please let me know their name and practice! And no, this didn't start after the earthquake, long before that. The shakes don't bother her!

If you cannot help me out with a vet, any clue as to what the issue could be? And any advice on removing it from fur would be great, I use lukewarm water and small soft towels, no soap as I don't want to irritate her skin.

Lastly, if you have had this problem or a similar one, would love to know what you feed your rabbit, and how much.

I think that is all... thank you so much for any advice or just for reading! Am really not sure what to do about it anymore :(. I just want her to be happy and healthy.

Welcome!:biggrin2:

A couple of questions...
What type of pellets is she getting?
Is it a healthy pellet or does it have seeds and coloured bits in it!?
Can you check the bag to see the % of protein!?

Our girl Butters...also a mini had the same issue.
Sometimes it really is a diet issue!
If your bunn is a bit of a pellet pig and she is eating too many pellets or they are too high in protein for her this can cause mushy cecals. They are def gross and stinky especially to clean off bunny butt! :D

With our girl we were having to wash her butt almost every other day...and none of us were happy! :grumpy:

Since you have been to the vet already...personally if it were me...I would decrease her pellets...a mini at 3 years...I would give a 1/4 cup per day...maybe split it into two feedings (morning and evening)...make sure shehas tons of fresh hay.
I know you said she doesn't like hay...but she isn't going to starve herself! lol :)
Sometimes with bunns who are really attached to their pellets it takes a bit of "tough" love to get them on a proper diet!
If she finishes her pellets and is still hungryshe will eventually snack on her hay...be prepared to be the least popular person EVER for about a week or so though! he he he :D

Once things start to settle poop wise you can try to slowly introduce veggies again! :)

Thank you for your reply! She had to have her top and bottom teeth removed (only the front four, not all teeth) so she has trouble getting the hay in her mouth to chew, I can chop it up though of course to help her. Even before she had her teeth removed though, she didn't eat the hay (and had this issue). Fussy bunny!

Her pellets don't have any of that fancy stuff in it, no seeds or anything! I'm not entirely sure what kind they are, as they're made by the owners of the pet store I buy them from. I don't have the bag anymore but can always pop in over the weekend and have a look. What would a good % of protein be for pellets?

So no veggies at all for a while? All she will eat lately is green carrots tops and silver beet, which is on the list of "not too many" anyway.

I will definitely try this, thank you!

Generally we try to aim for 14-15% protein, and at three years...timothy based!

If she is already eating veg you can keep going!
You just want to make sure that if you are trying to fix the mushy poop issue that you don't add anything else to the mix too soon!
For example...if you decided to give her Kale for the first timeand it caused mushy poops...is the new diet working or not? You wouldn't be able to tell! :)

So if she is already munching on greens...keep using the ones you know don't cause her any tummy upset...

First things first!
Check the pellets first...if you are lucky maybe it will only take an adjustment to the type of pellets she is getting!

If the pelletscheck out you can start to adjust the amount and other parts of her diet!:)

Hwy, I'm from Christchurch too- in my opinion the best vet here for bunnies is At The Vets, that's on the corner of Brougham St and Waltham Rd. They have an experienced rabbit vet, a rabbit ward that is separate from cats and dogs, they will board your bunny while you are away on holiday... they are just really great!

Oh thank you! I stumbled upon that one not long ago when looking for a new vet and thought about giving it a go. Good to hear you say you like it!

Do you buy any chance know where you can get Timothy hay from around here? I have tried countless pet stores and places which aren't really pet stores but sell food for both farm animals and pets. I have had no luck whatsoever. When I ask, they don't even know what it is :/. I have basically given up.

Oh! And the pet store I go to has been shut down following the earthquake. Where do you go for pellets? I went to mine to check out the % of protein following Danielle's advice, but obviously I couldn't :(.

Hi Madison,

I don't think timothy hay is available in New Zealand. Either that, or it's called by another name. Head back to one of the places that sells feed for farm animals and ask what type of grass hay they sell for horses.Get some of that. (Just not Alfalfa. Too rich for a full grown bunner.) They probably even sell rabbit pellets. Try to find one with 16% protein or lower.

Hope that helps!

Rue

Thanks Rue! Yes, I think I have to come to that conclusion :(. I have looked for years for Timothy hay. I saw it in America last year as my friend there uses it for her bunny, I haven't seen anything like it here.

That does help, thanks! Will ask about the hay for horses!

Hey Madison!

I have not been able to find Timothy Hay either, I have been thinking about ordering Timothy Hay pellets off the internet, hopefully they are okay with customs! At the moment, I have been feeding a mix of meadow hay from my parents farm, and sometimes hay from Animates as Murder seems to love it... for pellets, I have fed animates pellets for a bit as there is less of the rubbish biscuit pieces in it, but it isn't ideal... The animal feed store in Hornby (not the pet store) sells pellets intended for raising meat rabbits, they seem very good quality and Murder loved them... but Hornby is a long way to go... I was at a supermarket the other day (I think it was the Countdown at Church Corner) and they had large bags of rabbit pellets next to the chicken food, it looked decent, like the sort of stuff farmers would feed haha. I will have another look tomorrow

The guy who owns the local feed store swears the secret is to have the protein and fiber equal. He makes his rabbit pellets 16% protein and 16% fiber. He has rabbits of his own. Hershey has eaten them all of his four years and has little if any problems.

Latest posts

Back