Poop Issue -- ISC?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thatkiidsean

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Haven't been on in a while because everything with my bunny Einstein had been going well! Recently we had moved, and one of our biggest concerns was hoping that Einstein would adjust to such a drastic change. Earlier today, we discovered clumped, wet stool in his pen. When we took him out for exercise, he continued to produce these clumped poops. He did eat (when encouraged) hay and roam around as he normally would, but the stool he produced was wet, clumped, and had an awful (and I mean AWFUL) odor.

After online research, one of the things I found it could be is Intermittent Soft Cecotropes (ISC). It doesn't look like it's a serious situation, but I've still taken caution. I've removed pellets and greens from his diet and have restricted him to the hay (timothy-based) he's been eating until his stool returns to normal. I am wondering if these are all the right steps thus far, and would like to know:

1. Did the stress of moving have anything to do with this? If so, what can I do to help him ease into his new home?

2. He is producing his stool mostly not in his litter box, but rather next to it. Is this concerning?

3. Would it be wise to contact my veterinarian to ensure it's nothing serious?

4. I've read about possible butt-baths to give to rabbits for when the poop sticks to their fur. Should this be an option? If so, what's the best way of giving him a butt-bath (he is a Lionhead, and I don't want to get him wet too much)?

5. Have I missed out on any precautionary measures?

I hope to hear back soon, so that I can get poor Einstein back to normal!

:cry1:

My female rabbit is prone to cecal dysbiosis (basically, the bacteria in the cecum is all messed up so they produce lots of cecotropes). When this happens, it's because I gave her a food which did not agree with her. She is still eating, active, and doesn't even seem to notice. If it persists for more than 1 week on a diet of nothing but Timothy hay, I bring her to the vet just in case (since she's had this before, I'm not usually that concerned about it in my bun's case). It can DEFINITELY be caused by stress- so it is probably induced by the move. I'd make sure he is eating at least a few (which would be normal) if you can catch him at it.

If for any reason you stop seeing any normal poops or he stops eating, take him to the vet IMMEDIATELY.

Latest posts

Back