pollys not acting normal and didnt eat much

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your rabbits should be just fine with those greens. Normally veggies are just supplemental nutrition if a normal amount of pellets is being fed. If for some reason a reduced amount of pellets is fed, then the nutrition from the veggies is more important.

As long as she seems to be eating the hay ok, I think it might be good to hold off on the pellets and veggies for a few days, until you see an improvement in her poop. Then if it gets back to normal, you could start reintroducing one thing at a time in small amounts. Maybe start with pellets and gradually increase the amount. Then if she seems ok with those, try reintroducing one veggie at a time. This way if there is a problem food, you will be able to discover what it is.

It might be best to hold off on the alfalfa for now, until you get her digestive problems sorted out. Alfalfa can sometimes cause digestive upset if introduced too quickly, and you probably don't want to be complicating her digestive problems at this time. Maybe just move the bag so it isn't sitting there tempting her :)

yea ill put the alfalfa back up. if I do the different hay every couple of weeks will it need to be introduced slowly? so you think I should introduce them slowly? so ill have to feed separately. im going to be feeding 1/3 a cup of pellets for each rabbit. I really think it may have been the turnip greens. after I took them away she seemed better but ill introduce the veggies slowly if its needed. she looked so sad when peeta had veggies and she didn't though :(

Well, with the way her poop looked today, it had to have been the last of the turnip greens coming out, or another veggie is causing an issue, or maybe something else is going on. So since that mushy poop this morning, have her poops gotten any better? She may not like not getting veggies, but it should only be for a few days, and it's for her own good.

Usually grass hay doesn't need to be introduced slowly. Most of the time it doesn't cause any problems, except for maybe oat and other grain hays that have grain heads in the hay, because the extra carbs from the grain could cause digestive upset. So with oat hay, an early cut is better to feed, or a mature cut with no seed heads. But I think now that she is eating hay, you may be better off just sticking with the grass hay that she is used to eating, while you are getting her digestive problems sorted. No need to risk upsetting things by introducing a new hay at this time, since there is really no need, as she has started eating her usual hay again.

ok and her poops looked normal and have returned to the litter box. I haven't seen any abnormal poops.

That's a good sign! I would give her at least another day or two of having normal poop and only eating hay, before slowly starting her back on pellets.

Is that right? I'm about to feed so I need to know if putting slowly back on veggies is the best idea and how fast to reintroduce veggies and pellets?

If it were me, I would wait til tomorrow before starting to gradually reintroduce pellets first, then gradually increase the amount each day til back up to the full amount. Then after that, start gradually reintroducing veggies one at a time, starting with a small amount and increasing if there's no upset. Maybe over a weeks time to get back up to the full amount for each thing, unless you encounter poop or digestive problems.

Last edited:
So a week for pellets and then a week for veggies? I mean I feed a very small amount of pellets. That'd be like 3 pellets a day or something.

Didn't you say you will be feeding 1/3 cup a day? That would mean that you would start giving 2 tsp. the first day, or 1 tsp. for two feedings, then increasing by that amount each day for a week. You can go faster if you want but, I tend to be more cautious when dealing with digestive problems, since they can turn into a serious problem so quickly.

And that would be at least 3 or more days for each veggie. Taking it one veggie at a time gives you the chance to catch it early if one veggie starts causing digestive upset. It's up to you how you want to do it. I'm just sharing what I would do if it were my rabbit.

OK I'll do 2 tsp the first two days and add an additional 2 every day after so it'd be 8 days. Then introduce each veggie slowly in a 3 day period?

and also with peeta im kind of convinced hes saving food for polly. he left like two little leaves of green leaf lettuce and like half of his pellets. although I usually don't feed pellets and their veggies together I am until im done transitioning polly bc I don't have time in the morning to let her out and measure it and then wait for her to get done to put her back in. is it possible peeta is saving some for polly? its been an hour since I put it in.

never mind he was just pacing himself. I guess I just give him too much credit. hes not that much of a gentleman.

A few of their poops have some hair connecting the. They seem to be shedding and maybe starting molting? Peetas. Bad shedder from his Angora side I guess. I'll pet him and fur will fly. So do I need to do anything? Like add pineapple juice? I know its a bad idea to add stuff t diets but I don't want anybody clogged up either. They're both eating hay though.

Maybe brush them really well. I have become really diligent about brushing my rabbits probably because I just can't stand stasis...
and remember that it is really hay that moves the GI contents through the GI tracts. Veggies do not provide the same roughage to rabbits that they do to humans but they do provide water.

Peeta hates being groomed though. He was OK with it when. We first got him but not he bits the comb or brush. Polly will sit there and let you do it though. I need to get her to trust me more though.

Suri isn't fond of being grooming so I brush her for as long as I can and the go over gently with a lint roller to remove as much loose hair as I can and this seems to help. You can also get brushes a but like gloves that can be gentler if this helps?

I saw an abnormal small poop today. I don't know if it was from today or not though. It was underneath a box. All other poops are normal. She's still eating her 2tsp or pellets and drinking water and eating hay.

Latest posts

Back