pollys not acting normal and didnt eat much

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe it was the turnip greens BC I stopped feeding them last night but I've been feeding them for a while so I don't know why it would just start.

The picture is blurry so it's hard to tell. Is it watery and mushy? Do you see any mucous?

It looks like a black sludge. What would mucus look like? It wasn't real watery more sludgy.

Last edited:
Mucous would look like snot mixed in with the poop, or a clear jelly type substance. You can look at pictures here.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/drop/Drp_en.htm
And this one has some good pictures of what watery diarrhea looks like.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Bunny_201.pdf

I think it would be a good idea to stop pellets and only feed hay right now. And if she really is having diarrhea, then you need to get her to the vet today. Rabbits can dehydrate very easily with diarrhea and go downhill quickly, plus it is an indication of a bigger problem like coccidiosis or bacteria.

It didn't look like either. I changed her litter box after too but I'll keep an eye on her poop and if I see it again I'll take a better pic. I'll take away pellets then. Should I take away veggies too? She's not really eating hay. Also are the Papua tablets a good idea? Both peeta and Polly seem to be shedding more than normal maybe molting.

I caught her eating a little hay from a toilet paper roll. I also mixed the timothy and Bermuda in a box. I also put some cilantro in there to see if shed eat some hay to get to the pieces of cilantro I think I'm gonna put some papaya tablets in there too.

If she is having soft mushy poop now, it would be better to take away the veggies for now, but she does have to eat something, so I don't know. It would be much better for her to be eating hay at this point. Will she eat the timothy if she isn't eating much of the Bermuda hay? I would stop the tablets. She's not in danger of a gut slowdown from excess fur if she continues to have mushy poop. And it's possible they could add to the upset.

I just added a little bit of alfalfa hay too. Those are the only kinds u have. Ill call some local feed stores and see what they have tomorrow. Maybe I can find oat or orchard?

Can I add some rose petals to it? I read that sometimes that gets rabbits into hay. They're white roses from the front yard no pesticides and they just grow back every season

It might not be a good idea to be adding something new into her diet right now. So is she usually a good hay eater, before all of this started happening?

Yea. She would always be laying in her litter box eating hay. And sorry watermelon just trying to get her to eat hay. I can't feed hay and water if she won't eat hay. Should I stop veggies then?

I would maybe give it a few hours to see if she's just not hungry enough and will eat it a little later, unless it's already been several hours without her eating. If she absolutely won't eat hay, I guess you might have to go ahead and feed some veggies, just so she's getting something to eat.

OK at 10 if she hasn't ate any hay I'll feed her veggies. I'll also call and see if I can find some more variety tomorrow.

Well she just ate some hay. I guess I was feeding so many vegied to make sure she got enough water and stayed eating that she wasn't hungry. Should I go back to her regular feeding but leave out pellets? I probably won't feed more veggies today either.

With the removal of turnip greens are my rabbits still getting enough veggies with green leaf lettuce, parsley, cilantro, and romaine lettuce.

yup they were slowly introduced to everything. so polly's poops are looking normal. ive decided to move her back in after I give peeta his veggies. they're probably missing each other.

quick question. I have the bag of alfalfa hay over their little box cage area of their cage and peeta's going bonkers over it. can they have a sprinkle of it in their hay or is that a bad idea? I think im going to feed Bermuda as a staple and buy a bag of different hay every couple of weeks.

Back