Poll: sexes of your bonded rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sexes of your bonded rabbits? Choose 1:

• Both/all neutered males

• Both/all UNneutered males

• Mix of neutered & some UNneutered males

• Both/all spayed females

• Both/all UNspayed females

• Mix of spayed females & UNspayed females

• Spayed female(s) & neutered male(s)

• UNeutered male(s) & UNspayed female(s)

• Single male

• Single female

• Other (please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
btw, they have to both be fixed before they can ever be considered bonded ;) (unless juvenile, then they've got a baby-bond but have to be rebonded for real after surgery)

I voted "both spayed females" although my two aren't fixed yet - they're still technically juveniles for the moment, so they're still allowed to enjoy their baby bond. we've got an appointment on october 16th for their spays. they may or may not have to be separated sometime between now and then - I'm monitoring closely for the first sign of fighting.

I have 6 rabbits- They are strongly bonded in three M/F pairs but all 6 play nicely together (most of the time). I'm not sure if that makes them bonded or not as a group. Everybun is fixed.

For now I have 1 spayed female (Beauty) and 1 unspayed female (Shiny Things). Shiny Things will hopefully be getting spayed on Friday (reminds me I need to prepair for that). She was supposed to get spayed the same day as Beauty but had a feaver so they would not do it (still cost me $300 for her that day). Once Shiny Things has been spayed I will be trying to bond her with Beauty. They have run around together many times before either was spayed. They do fight a little bit but am hopping that goes away soon.

I voted one single female, recently spayed, and a spayed & neutered m/f pair who have been bonded for a few months. Hoping to bond them all eventually.

Btw - my m/f are not getting on tonight. He absolutely worships her but she's SO bossy. She keeps chasing him away and trying to fight if he doesn't move fast enough. Is this normal? They had their first sniff of our newly spayed female, perhaps she's just reasserting her authority over him.

bethepoet wrote:
Btw - my m/f are not getting on tonight. He absolutely worships her but she's SO bossy. She keeps chasing him away and trying to fight if he doesn't move fast enough. Is this normal? They had their first sniff of our newly spayed female, perhaps she's just reasserting her authority over him.
Cotton Tails Rabbit Rescue, in the UK, thinks it's very difficult to introduce a 3rd bun to an already bonded pair. However, I believe there may be some on this forum who have done just that.
I think it's great that minilops pairs can all play together.

I'm currently bonding 3 bunnies together. I had a spayed female who lost her mate and, at the rescue, she took a great liking to 2 neutered brothers who had NOT been housed together. It's been one and a half weeks, and I think they are doing very well. They share a 4x6' temporary x-pen and are in it together. I'm going to give them lots more time before bringing them downstairs to Sapphire's "territory."

Blue Eyes, I hope that the bonding goes good for them all. Could you clarify for me. Are all 3 of them in the xpen or is it just the 2 boys? Sorry if this seems like a stuped question. :)

Blue eyes wrote:
bethepoet wrote:
Cotton Tails Rabbit Rescue, in the UK, thinks it's very difficult to introduce a 3rd bun to an already bonded pair. However, I believe there may be some on this forum who have done just that.
I think it's great that minilops pairs can all play together.

I'm currently bonding 3 bunnies together. I had a spayed female who lost her mate and, at the rescue, she took a great liking to 2 neutered brothers who had NOT been housed together. It's been one and a half weeks, and I think they are doing very well. They share a 4x6' temporary x-pen and are in it together. I'm going to give them lots more time before bringing them downstairs to Sapphire's "territory."
I am VERY nervous about letting them meet. Harriet gave Jessie an ear piercing last time. We've put their crates right up against each other but they can't see each other, is it useless unless they can see? I thought the smell would be a good enough start point, but not one of the three have shown ANY interest at all. Don't know if that's good or bad.

Also, are the boys quite laid back? I ask because it's not the fact that there's three of them to bond, it's more that the female in my bonded pair is a very strong character and even if she were to accept the new female, I don't know if she'd allow her boyfriend to, haha. If she were more laid back I wouldn't be so worried, but she's predictably high strung.

ldoerr wrote:
Blue Eyes, I hope that the bonding goes good for them all. Could you clarify for me. Are all 3 of them in the xpen or is it just the 2 boys? Sorry if this seems like a stuped question. :)
Yes, they are all 3 together. They rode in the carrier together on the way home and have been together in the x-pen ever since I brought them home.

It's been quite interesting to observe. They often cuddle in pairs, but the pairings are always varied -- sometimes just the bros, sometimes the girl with Mocha or with Chip. Sometimes they are all 3 snuggling.

bethepoet wrote:
Blue eyes wrote:

I am VERY nervous about letting them meet. Harriet gave Jessie an ear piercing last time. We've put their crates right up against each other but they can't see each other, is it useless unless they can see? I thought the smell would be a good enough start point, but not one of the three have shown ANY interest at all. Don't know if that's good or bad.

Also, are the boys quite laid back? I ask because it's not the fact that there's three of them to bond, it's more that the female in my bonded pair is a very strong character and even if she were to accept the new female, I don't know if she'd allow her boyfriend to, haha. If she were more laid back I wouldn't be so worried, but she's predictably high strung.
Here's that site I referred to:
http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/matchups.asp

But regarding your question, your Harriet sounds like my Sapphire. (I joke that I should've named her Spitfire.) She is very bossy and territorial. I first tried her with a different boy from the rescue and she wouldn't have him. I even have the scars on my wrist from stopping her from attacking him. (And this after she allowed him to groom her at the rescue!)

Yours ignoring each other is a good sign. The site details possible scenarios that one can expect at first meeting.

The brothers are very laid back. I think that's what put her so at ease with them at the rescue. I also realized I'd be sabotaging the bond process if I put the 3 together anywhere that she's already been. She's just too territorial. That's why I have them upstairs in an x-pen. My plan is to let them bond strongly before bringing them downstairs.

Ironically, though, their first week was one of changing hierarchy. While Sapphire started out as top bun, chasing the other 2 from the "prized" area of the pen, that has all changed. It's looking like she will be the bottom bun! I am so surprised.

Blue eyes wrote:
bethepoet wrote:
Blue eyes wrote:

Here's that site I referred to:
http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/matchups.asp

But regarding your question, your Harriet sounds like my Sapphire. (I joke that I should've named her Spitfire.) She is very bossy and territorial. I first tried her with a different boy from the rescue and she wouldn't have him. I even have the scars on my wrist from stopping her from attacking him. (And this after she allowed him to groom her at the rescue!)

Yours ignoring each other is a good sign. The site details possible scenarios that one can expect at first meeting.

The brothers are very laid back. I think that's what put her so at ease with them at the rescue. I also realized I'd be sabotaging the bond process if I put the 3 together anywhere that she's already been. She's just too territorial. That's why I have them upstairs in an x-pen. My plan is to let them bond strongly before bringing them downstairs.

Ironically, though, their first week was one of changing hierarchy. While Sapphire started out as top bun, chasing the other 2 from the "prized" area of the pen, that has all changed. It's looking like she will be the bottom bun! I am so surprised.
I read your post and felt quite uplifted, then clicked on the link and now feel very pessimistic, haha.

It's so funny that you mention the changing hierarchy, actually, because Alfie was a very aggressive, territorial bunny when we got him. My boyfriend did lots of work with him (it's like a boys only club, I never got a look in!) and he mellowed out but was still very much his own boss. Then he met Harriet and he is totally under the thumb! That makes me worried though, that he'll think Jessie is a chance to be above someone, and she'll end up being picked on.

The pair came out earlier and we let them get near to Jessie's crate, Alfie (who up until now has just been indifferent towards Jess) was aggressive, whereas Harriet was fine. She even chased him out of the room, which was cute. Maybe Jessie's new smell has confused them both.

Do you find that they ever just have 'bad days' for bonding? Or does it ever seem like they remember a fight and act defensive, which just leads to another fight?

Rabbits are like people, they can have grumpy days. I try to always end a session as positive as possible but know some days they just don't feel like playing nice. Try to avoid out right fights because they can remember and hold a grudge, which makes things take longer.

There are days where my 6 squabble so they can't all be out together, so they are always supervised. Historically it is two of my males that can't quite decide who is king.

Oh yeah, by 'fight' I mean like a squabble. But my two girls have fought properly before and my boyfriend thinks they'll remember and we should just cut our losses and get our lone girl a baby to bond with.

BTW - Six?! Wow. That's a lot of bunnies, I hope they're all well behaved for you most of the time, lol.

bethepoet wrote:
d we should just cut our losses and get our lone girl a baby to bond with.
I totally agree with Minilop. Sometimes they have grumpy days (or times of day), but it's important to try to end on a positive note - even if that positive note is nothing more than them ignoring each other for awhile.

Girls can be sooo territiorial, so you will have to deal with that. :(

If you decide to bond her with a new bun altogether, I would not recommend that you get a baby. You could just be setting yourself up for problems. Yes, a baby can bond quick, but it's only temporary until those hormones kick in. Then you'll have to spay/neuter her/him and then start all over again (and hope for the best.)

Ideally, you should go through a rescue and find a neutered boy (possibly a spayed girl, but males are easier) and let them have some bunny dates. See who she likes and go from there. Most rescues will help you through and will allow trades if the first boy doesn't work.

Oh, and to answer your other question about whether or not they remember squabbles... yes, they do. With the first boy that didn't work, there was a tussle started by my girl. She started a few tussles until the boy finally had enough and gave it right back. From there, things got worse each time I put them together for a bonding session.

By contrast, with the current bonding, there were some tussles between Sapphire and the top brother, Chip. They would then separate from each other and keep their distance for a half day or more. Then eventually they'd get over it and get back together.

Latest posts

Back