Poll - Did you start out with Rabbits for You or for Them...?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is/Are your Rabbit/s for You or for Them?

• My rabbits are for my kids but I care for them.

• My rabbits are for my kids & they care for them.

• Yes! My rabbits are totally for me!

Results are only viewable after voting.
No kids here.

My husband was the one who really pushed for getting the rabbits. He was used to having cats, but I'm allergic to cats. (Also allergic to dogs.) We researched rabbits, after seeing the cute baby rabbits at the pet store down the street. Luckily, we came across HRS, and discovered they have a chapter here. We went to a couple meetings, and armed ourselves with information and petitioned our apartment complex to allow us to have rabbits. (They lump them with rodents, which are prohibited.) We were able to talk them into it, getting a special permission for rabbits, and started 'interviewing' rescue rabbits. Nick and Amelia chose us, and we brought them home about 2 months after we first considered getting rabbits.

I will say, even though it was Jason's idea at first to get the rabbits, and he really pushed for them, they seem to be my responsibility more than his, as I do ALL rabbit-related chores. It is a good thing I love those bunnies!

I talked Jason into taking in Tobi, she was supposed to be a temporary visitor. She bonded to him, though, so she's here for good now. (Yes, I do all of her care, as well.)

My rescue group will not adopt to people who want bunnies "for the kids." We will, however, adopt to families where the parents agree to be completely responsible for the care of the rabbits. We do try to do education before we'll adopt to someone, including requiring a home visit to make sure the environment is safe and appropriate for a rabbit. Of course, since there are a couple pet stores in the area that sell baby bunnies, the people who are rejected for adoption probably just go buy one. :(

I just started out with rabbits maybe amonth or so. As I am 17 I can't really say that they are "for the kids" as I have none! :p

A few years ago we did get a rescued rabbit for my little sister whoI think was nine at the time. I knew nothing about rabbits other than the fact that I really liked them. I dunno what was going through my parents' minds when she adopted Rags (he was a lop, cute little thing), I told them it was a bad idea as my sister never ever kept her room clean enough to house such a critter and I knew that even if they did get it immaculate it would be just as messy the next week. They weren't convinced. About two weeks roll by and of course the bunn is miserable, the room is not only messy, but stinky, and I consistantly hear my sister yelling at the poor thing just for playing in the morning or late night. So the people "rescued" it yet again. It was a very stupid thing to adopt a rabbit "for the kids", and I always remind people that rabbits aren't "cage pets" and they need exercise. Well, predictably after seeing all the pics of your adorable critters and having my little rabbits outside she wants another. She says she's older now and can handle it now; right............. I justcan't wait to have some in my room so Ican see bunnies whenever I want! She can visit when she wants. :rollseyes

LOL! Oh dear - don't tell me this poor bunny was loose in your sisters room..... and she wasn't cleaning up after it!

Anyways, my boys get lots of variety, they are in there hutch at night and if the weather is terrible but still warm enough to be outside, in their run during the day mostly on the grass, and in the evening have been coming in for a run around inside or during the day sometimes when the kids want them too - they are just so lovely and cuddly and cute so enjoy being in for a run around you can't resist! I have decided on cold winter days (when that comes!), I will bring them into the bathroom during the day so that they have that area to hang out in for the day - not sure what I will do on winter nights, will see how that goes, not sure how much cold they would tolerate....?

We don't have kids- we got them just for us! :D

I think that even if we did want kids (which we don't yet) there might not be room for them! Bunny toys and litter take up enough room without adding mini-humans, toys and nappies to the mix! :shock:

Well we don't have kids, so the bunnies were and are most definitely for me. I love them so much! I share a deep bond with all of them. My parents bought me my first rabbit when I had just turned 10 years old, and I was expected to do 100% of the care but my parents paid for his food, litter, toys, vet visits etc. It seems like a bad plan to have a 10 year old as the sole caretaker of a bunny, but if I may say, I was a great bunny mommy. Cleaned his cage every day, was careful he got good food in the right amounts, and showered him with love and attention and time out of his cage. I read all the rabbit care books I could get my hands on and convinced my parents to have him neutered when he was 6 months old. I think I was a better bunny parent than the average adult bunny owner! I never remotely lost interest in him- he was my darling baby. I had a few friends that had bunnies they'd lost interest in and their parents cared for, which just astounded me because I couldn't imagine someone not adoring their bunny and still can't. So yeah, some children can be good rabbit parents :)

Latest posts

Back