Poll - Did you start out with Rabbits for You or for Them...?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is/Are your Rabbit/s for You or for Them?

• My rabbits are for my kids but I care for them.

• My rabbits are for my kids & they care for them.

• Yes! My rabbits are totally for me!

Results are only viewable after voting.

nattyw

Reaction score
Just wondering how many people started having rabbits for themselves or for their children!?

Well I got our bunnys, for me really! I wasn't worried what the kids wanted, I wanted some bunnys! :) And they are lovely, the kids love them too, talking to them, wanting cuddles and playing with them. I do all the work (my kids are almost 4 & almost 6). So I feel I can't give them too much responsibility, but I chose to have the bunnys - I give them little care jobs.

Let me know how you started with your bunnies & for who! (orginally!)

Haha. Well my dad got them for me and I guess I'm a kid :p I'm not at his house all the time so he cares for them when I'm away. We have a cat, a budgie and two bunns. He would never have gotten any pets without me. It took years of persuasion to finally get my cat (4 yrs ago), she rocks.

Yup I bought the bunnies myself with my own money for me :)Any bunny I've owned I bought myself except Misty who I got for free :)I do all the caring for them except my mam gives them pellets in the morning and that's it.

teenage daughter and i thought long and hard before we got buns. i had always wanted them tho':Dwe checked out different breeds, bunny care, costs , time needed for bun care etc. can honestly say she does her fair share of the care:biggrin2:husband and son are also involved to a lesser degree (not that they'd admit it:rollseyes)

:soapboxi would say to anyone getting a pet for their children -:disgust:- only get a pet that YOU can care for.

hartleybun wrote:
:soapboxi would say to anyone getting a pet for their children -:disgust:- only get a pet that YOU can care for.
:yeahthat:
I help out at the shelter sometimes and when somebody comes in with a hyper 8-year old wanting a bunny for them to be primary caregiver for, I get very worried. Someone wanting a pet that a kid that young can take primary care of should look for a hamster, gerbil, or maybe rat. Bunnies are so good at hiding their ailments that even adults can't see small changes in behavior that indicate illness. I think kids of age 13+, if they're the observant type who keep a close eye on their pet, can be good primary caregivers for rabbits, but they have to have 100% financial support from their parents as rabbits can sometimes be very expensive.

Scone was originally supposed to be my son's rabbit - he was bought by Joe's girlfriend at the time - but as he was 21, that doesn't really count as "the kids". Very quickly, though, Scone decided I was his human and that's where it's stayed.

i got my first ones when i was 5. my parents looked after them but they were for me. as i grew older, my bunnies are with me for me, or for them (the bunnies). im 26 and don't have kids, although i do still live with my parents, and they get a lot of pleasure from particular buns of mine (Summer, Badger, Cloud, mainl,y) so everyone benfits from my hoarsd of bunnies :D

I totally agree with everyone! I had NO intention of having my two kids look after the rabbits, so I had to be fully committed to having them - and I am! They are so complicated little creatures there is no way you can expect a child to understand all of that and expect them to keep uo with everything!

One of my bunnies, Thumper was supposed to be my brothers, he was twelve when we got him, he played with him for about a week and hasn't looked at him since. I don't know what would have happened if I didn't take responsibilty for him, just goes to show.

I got Ruby and Millie when I was 11 years old, and for the past 7 and a bit years since that dayI have cared for them (now Millie) totally by myself. It has actually gotten to the extent where I physically cannot lie in on a morning, as I have it programmed into my brain that I have to get up at 8am to feed the pets.;)

However, I wasa very dedicated 11 year old. In the vast majority of cases I don't think pets should be the sole responsibility of a youngster, as many children will just not giveanimals theadequate care they demand. Parents should always be there to watch over things.

I have to say that the reason I have a rabbit now is that my daughter wanted one. She was six when we got him and I never expected her to take care of him, only to help out. He lived in her room and was a lovely rabbit. It is because of him that I have a rabbit now so I would have to say that it is because of my kids but the one I have now is mine. However, since the reason for the rabbit was my daughter, I'm the one vote that says the rabbit is for my kids, although that really isn't the case anymore, it was the reason to begin with;)

For Them. Our Church was raffling off for free a live baby bunny giving tickets to only those families that "would give it a Good Home".
With having dogs for years and being involved with rescue knew many people did not realize what they getting into when they got a pet and did not take the time to find out more. I didn't know how to care for a bunny but knew if we had one I would find out everything about them.
Took a ticket and prayed God would give the bunny to the best home for it. We won. Immediately removed the bunny from the room to stop children from poking at it. Then went and bought a book and whatever it said was needed. Found out bunnies should be inside so that was that.
Joy now enjoys her five story condo with a bond mate Love (from rescue) in their own room. We might be one of the only homes with a outside glass door on a room allowing us to always see them. And thanks to the members of the rabbit lists we belong to, the help of a very special rescuer (Pam from Sweet Binks), and books they are getting the best care we can give.
Today is their annual vet visit so have to go.

Sorry, when said for them, meant for the rabbits sake.
Agree totally, in our rescue we never adopt out a dog for a child. The parents must be the true adopters and take full responsibility for it for the rest of it's life.

Mom of Joy and Love wrote:
For Them. Our Church was raffling off for free a live baby bunny giving tickets to only those families that "would give it a Good Home".
With having dogs for years and being involved with rescue knew many people did not realize what they getting into when they got a pet and did not take the time to find out more. I didn't know how to care for a bunny but knew if we had one I would find out everything about them.
Took a ticket and prayed God would give the bunny to the best home for it. We won. Immediately removed the bunny from the room to stop children from poking at it. Then went and bought a book and whatever it said was needed. Found out bunnies should be inside so that was that.
Joy now enjoys her five story condo with a bond mate Love (from rescue) in their own room. We might be one of the only homes with a outside glass door on a room allowing us to always see them. And thanks to the members of the rabbit lists we belong to, the help of a very special rescuer (Pam from Sweet Binks), and books they are getting the best care we can give.
Today is their annual vet visit so have to go.

oh my god i would have had a bird if i saw this,lol a rabbit as a raffle prize, i would have immediately raised Cane about this so it never happened again, thank god you got the bun,lol. My buns are mine, the kids call me stingy,lol. But they are kids and cant handle the responsibility of them. I got them because i wanted them, heck all the an imals that have come into this house come in cause I want them,lol. I am finding that alot of rescues out there will not adopt to houses with kids, i have put in apps to three, two of w hich have this p olicy in hopes to talk to the people to make them understand that my kids dont torture the rabbits and i am primary care taker of them , hopefully a bun wont loose out because of this policy

We did everything we could to keep them from doing this again. Gave them a large stuffed rabbit for the next Easter and asked them not to do it again. Also reported the raffle to rabbit rescue who was going to contact them regarding this being a very bad idea and the state especially since raffling a live animal without a special permit was against the law.
Unfortunately we were unable to stop them from giving away goldfish at the Holiday Bazaar at a children's game. Tried everything including offering to buy packages of goldfish crackers but they wouldn't budge.

I got my bunnies knowing they were for me. Nobody else here will look after them. I pay for their upkeep and everything. x

Mom of Joy and Love wrote:
:censored2::tantrum::banghead:whatthe only 'good' to come out of it was that you won.:biggrin2:

Back