Polish or Rhinelander?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neonangel

Reaction score
I'm new to the rabbit project and am trying to pick a breed...it's so hard lol! Well I've managed to narrow it down to either the rhinelander or the polish. There are breeders near me and I have until about Christmas to decide. I need someone with personal experience from either breed....please help? Or if theres a different breed your reccomend, preferably with a breeder in Colorado or Southern Wyoming? :D

They are fairly different breeds, so can't really compare them. Rhinelanders are around 8 pounds full grown, Polish are about 3 pounds. The size alone can steer people one way or the other. Rhinelanders are active and can be goofy, but do have good personalities. Polish tend to be more laid back and easy going. Both are good breeds and do make good pets. If you were wanting to show, Rhinelanders so have specific markings, so it can be hard to find ones that are good for show.

If it hard to recommend a breed without knowing what you want in a rabbit. I do realize it can be hard to narrow it down with all the choices out there, but even think about size, energy level, and general personality. Looks are not everything, but a breed or individual that you like the look of can go far, you do have to look at the rabbit every day and want one you like.

I would suggest to look at a few breeds to help you decide. If there is a rabbit show near you, go to it and talk with people. If you see a rabbit you like, ask about it. Seeing them in person does help. You might not see a lot of the personality at a show, but that can depend on the rabbit, some just travel better and are more themselves at a show. A show is typically local people, so does give you an idea on what breeds are easier to find in your area. Even if you are not wanting to show or breed, it is still a good place to look at breeds and meet breeders. Some breeders so sell pets that are not suitable for showing (wrong colour or markings, white toe nail, etc).

I don't know much about Rhinelander but I've seen them at shows. They aren't as popular as Polish. I raise Polish, if you have specific questions about them. They are small and don't require as much space as a Rhinelander. What criteria did you use to narrow your choices? That might help us to understand what you're looking for.

We just got our polish about 2 weeks ago today. I love our little buck. He's already owned my daughter and is really sweet. My daughter wanted a little rabbit. He's almost totally potty trained and isn't afraid of the hoomans in our house.I would read up. I did a lot of that as did my daughter. She's also doing 4-H if that what you're referring to about your project. Most of the kids in her 4-H have Nethie's and were all scratched up because of them. But my boy hasn't scratched except to get attention from us and never to hurt. I love this breed already!

Latest posts

Back