Please Think Good Thoughts for Emma....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
Despite Zoe having a host of digestive issues, it's Emma who was hospitalized for GI stasis today. :tears2: Please think positive thoughts for her fast improvement.

Per the vet, her gut hasn't stopped entirely, but it's very slow. She startedrefusing leafy greens last night; I only got a small amount (maybe 4-5 cc's?) of canned pumpkin into her between last night and this morning. (She's lost 20 gr, most likely due to a lack of fluids.)

At the vet's, she'll receive various injections and feedings, as well has have blood work and a fecal culture run. (We're especially curious to see if she has the same bacterial growths as Zoe's had in the past.)

Emma's fecals changed in color (and became odorous) after she started eating pellets, but her fecal quantity was good until just recently. (A fecal float detected no parasites, either.) I noticed, though,that she wasn't eating much hay in her cage at night--although she used to without issue. She was my steady eater with a cast-iron stomach. Not so much now...:(

I am literally stumped by these health issues. And my husband and I feel emotionally and financially drained.

Thank you,

Jenk

tonyshuman wrote:
:thanks:I'm not feeling as happy/ upbeat as this emoticon may indicate, but it's the only "thank you" that I could find. Your thoughts mean a lot to me. Thank you, tonyshuman.

Hugs and thoughts sent your way :pray:

I have had a couple in the pats get hospitalised for GI and they have been fine came home new buns

polly wrote:
Hugs and thoughts sent your way :pray:

I have had a couple in the pats get hospitalised for GI and they have been fine came home new buns
polly,

Your message brings me an immense level of comfort :hug:; I've been emotionally-torn and teary-eyed since arriving home with just Zoe (wholooked all confused, even frightened, when Emma wasn't placed back in the carrier with her for the ride home).

On the bright side, Emma'svet has high hopes that the extra fluids, nutrients and pain med's will make her feel a whole lot better. (Wish they could give me a few injections for the same issues! :?)

Awwww try not to stress to much. give her 24 hours or so the fluids make a huge difference. I have had mine in 4 or 5 times in the past and as soon as they get the sub Q in it makes ahuge difference. go have a bun cuddle it always helps me :)

I'm so sorry for the stress you're under and it must be hard missing your baby. I'll be sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

polly wrote:
Awwww try not to stress to much. give her 24 hours or so the fluids make a huge difference. I have had mine in 4 or 5 times in the past and as soon as they get the sub Q in it makes ahuge difference. go have a bun cuddle it always helps me :)
I'll try to set aside my worries long enough to de-stress a bit. Knowing of your experiences, though, helps me a lot.

As far as bun-cuddling goes, Zoe's definitely going to reap the benefits tonight. I'm going to hug and pet her until she's sick of me. :biggrin2:

Jenk

Update: Per the vet, Emma ismore active this morning (actually sniffing/ snooping around her cage area). She's nibbled a little hay and veggies(but not much) and has urinated. Still, she's not produced any fecals; I'm to call backlater today. If she hasn't pooped by then, the vet will keep her for another night.

For the past nine months, I've feltstressed over Zoe's manydigestive issues, but Emma's always been the strong ("normal") one. So her hospitalization drove home the fact of her frailty. :(

Jenk

For the past nine months, I've feltstressed over Zoe's manydigestive issues, but Emma's always been the strong ("normal") one. So her hospitalization drove home the fact of her frailty.

I second this.After what went on this past weekor so with my own buns I suggest keeping a closer eye on all your buns. You think they are doing fine one day and the next day..bam.. sick bun.

polly wrote:
is there any :litterfew:????
I don't know yet; I'm to call the vet between 3 and 4 pm (sobetween right now and hour from now ;)). Actually, I'll call in 30 minutes at the halfway point. My fingers are crossed.

If she hasn't pooped by the time I call, I'll just be happy if told that she's feeling even betterthan she was this morning. My hubby and I dread the expense of an additional night of hospitalization; but if Emma needs it, then she needs it.

Back