Please Sign if you support responsable small breeders!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't support breeders what so ever.
But this doesn't just effect breeders, so I have signed it.

If we don't support breeders of any kind a hundred years from now we won't have any domesticated bunnies left to snuggle :(

Signed!

There will always be breeders Samara. Not necessarily good breeders, which I know are much different than BYB.. but there will never be a lack of rabbits.
I'd rather support a rescue, or take in unwanted rabbits another way.

Rescues dont create diversity like breeders do. I meant to edit the title to say responsible small breeders like the petition title but it wouldnt let me.

Maybe once the homeless animal population goes down a couple million I'll care about breeders.

woahlookitsme wrote:
Rescues dont create diversity like breeders do. I meant to edit the title to say responsible small breeders like the petition title but it wouldnt let me.

I agree that it's a problem that posters can't change the titles of their topics, but have to get a moderator to do it.

Rescue organizations don't create any rabbits at all, they just deal with those already in existence. In some ways the oops, mixed-breed rabbits crease more diversity than do breeders, but in an unplanned & unorganized way. And many shelter rabbits were originally sold by breeders & there's no way to screen out potential buyers who'll turn out to surrender their rabbits later on.

So the main focus should be on education of potential rabbit buyers & education to prevent as many oops breeding as possible: alert to how young they can get pregnant, that you may not have only young rabbits of the same gender, etc.

If we could do more of this, the shelters wouldn't be bursting at the seams.

All breeders are not the same. Some have a greener agenda than others. Like me and others have said i have never taken any of my rabbits to a shelter. So yes once a rabbit is sold it is out of my hands if that rabbit ends up in a shelter. And yes i agree with orlena that education is what is needed but not everyone who breeds mix rabbits has an oops litter. I do not see many purebred rabbits in shelters except cals and NZs but there are a small few. Most arba breeders sell rabbits back into the show world and many of those people find other ways to retire their old or pet quality rabbits instead of selling because of the mass amount of people who want to buy because they want to breed and think it will bring in income.

Bottom line there are many types of breeders and its unrealistic to lump them all into one word and expect them to conform to one standard and way of raising their animals.

I own a breeders rabbit that a friends sister purchased and then 3 years later decided she was going to just let it starve to death in the cold basement.
So yes, I do know they can be some amazing bunnies. I -personally- will just never actively seek from a breeder is all.
This thing they want to pass doesn't just effect breeders though, it also effects people who take in small animals(as a lot of times they aren't speutered) and would make it difficult to place babies from litters that come in.

Yea i was reading the comments and I saw someone who was saying that it would affect her rescue dogs also.

Back