Please Rescue Me!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristin McCann

Reaction score
D8B0CEAA-BAAF-421E-BE96-5B89DB82BF84.jpeg My cute lil sweet male Lionhead, Chewbacca- aka Chewy, is about 4 mos old, I’m so very allergic to the point I cannot keep him at all. A friend bought him as a gift to me but she didn’t ask me 1st, he heart was in the right place but it wasn’t very well thought out as I’m a 1st time bun owner & I fell totally in love with him. We live in Hershey PA. He’s a sweet, sweet little bun, not aggressive at all, loves loves attention & is so silly with his high hops & sideways kicks! He hasn’t been neutered yet as I’ve been told wait until he’s 5-6 mos old. He’s litter trained, inside bun with free roam in our living room. He has the original small cage I bought when I 1st received him, a pop up play pen, a few toys. hay, pellets, paper litter. I was in the process of looking for items to make a larger home for him when I found out just how seriously allergic to him I am . He was bought from a pet store at the age of 2 mos old. Gosh, I’m bawling as I’m posting this. He just started shedding & since then my eyes, face & throat have been swelling up. Went to my dr who sent me to an allergist & the testing done-I absolutely cannot keep him . My heart hurts. Please help me. I don’t want him going to a shelter or back to the girl that bought him for me. She has a grown Lionhead & just neglects him, it breaks my heart. Thanks so much for any help.

Hi, I am allergic myself and know what you mean, although I have a problem with some kinds of hay and when cleaning their toilet, but I use a medical face mask now when have to change their litter and add hay, also I don't buy hay that caused most allergic reaction, just buy another type and it's okay. Generally just wearing a mask when I know there will be a strong smell, especially hay soiled with urine. It helps.

My rabbits don't smell themselves, except of if Leo sprays his territory or yesterday he peed on me it was very unpleasant, but I understand he's 5 months now and needs to be neutered then he will stop marking his territory. Neutering is very expensive but I know if you go through rescues they can direct you because you are low income and your rabbit is at risk of becoming homeless. I know many problems would go after neutering.

Also I am using wood pellets now and they absorb smell very well I have the same rabbit as you I only change his toilet once a week and there's no smell at all. It is very important making a proper toilet otherwise I remember first weeks it was so stinky I couldn't breath.

If he's shedding brushing his coat would help a bit, but also you can keep him away from your face.

This is how I am trying to reduce my problems related to keeping rabbits but of course your situation probably different. I am not taking any medication but I feel my allergies improved since 3 months ago, I don't know why, it was really bad in February and beginning of March. I am not even wearing mask now as I've learned how to make his toilet not stinky.

I am not saying you must do the same and keep him, your health is very important and maybe you will find a nice family for him and will visit him sometimes, just wanted to share my experience.

Good luck, for now just maybe keep his cage out your bedroom at night to reduce your allergy. Hope you will get better soon :)

I find with my rabbit shedding I do get allergies.

I find that paper pellet litter works better for me than pine. Pine pellets drive my allergies nuts.
A few months ago I had bronchitis, I was on all sorts of meds even an inhaler. The hay wasn't helping my illness.
What I was doing was misting the hay down with water. Not making it soaking wet, I misted it lightly so that the dust from the hay was going into the air.

What I have found that helps is an air purifier. It does collect a lot my rabbit's fur and other dust in the air.

Back