Please Help!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lola123

Reaction score
Hi there.
I have an American Fuzzy Lop Rabbit (Female, 1.5 years old)
I am unsure if she is spayed, and I got her half a month ago from someone who did not want her.
When i came down to check on her half an hour ago, her back right foot was bleeding. She was licking it for 10 minutes and it stopped, but i think she lost 1 tablespoon of blood. I had cut her nails a week ago, so they should not be too long.
She does not seem to be in any pain, and right now I am sitting beside her cage in the dark to make her feel less stress. She is grooming all her legs and her face fine now, and hops without a problem, but i want to know if there is anything i can do. Now, the blood is minimal, with a few dabs as she hops. For the last half hour I have not seen her eat, drink, or go to her litter.
She is playing with her toys. At the moment she is in her house resting.
Is there anything I should do to help her?

Side note: She does not have sore hocks.

Sorry your bunny's not feeling well, I hope you get some answers :C

She becomes a little skittish when i hold her, i only got her a little while ago.

The bleeding is coming from the nail area, from the most inner nail. I don't know how to describe this nail, but it is normally pointing toward the body on rabbits.
the blood is coming from the right hind leg.

She may have ripped off her nail by accident or she has been chewing them (my Faye has ripped hers off once, idk how, and she frequently chews on her front ones). If it's still bleeding you can put some styptic powder on her nail (this will stop the bleeding and I believe most or maybe all of them have a mild painkiller included) which you can get at most pet shops or pet supply sections in larger stores, or you can use a little bit of flour. If the nail is only partially broken off, you may need to clip the little dangling piece of nail with some clippers.

I recommend picking her up with a small blanket or towel, wrapping it around her securely (a 'bunny burrito'), make sure the blanket is wrapped around her so once you have her sitting back on your lap you can unwrap it to see her leg & examining the nail as well as you can. If her foot hair is too long don't cut it, simply dab it a little with a moist rag to wet it down.

She should be okay and the bleeding should completely stop soon. So long as she's eating and pooping the rest of the day and isn't lazing around like she's in pain from it, she'll be fine. It will most likely grow back soon enough.

If the nail/where the nail was isn't bleeding and it's actually the skin between her toes or something like that, then that's a different problem.

if it is the nail area, see if you can wrap her in a towel and if you don't have any powder, try some corn starch, i've done this before when stewie snagged his nail on a blanket and it broke off to the quick, it seems to work pretty well, if she is skittish(stewie is too, amybe try luring her into a carrier with some hay or putting a towel over her head so you can have a close look at it(i have had to do this with both stewie and my chinchilla kishi who cut her foot on a sharp peice of wood)

Thanks for your help, guys!

Fortunately, my bunny, Lola, is doing good now. She has been checked by the vet, and the vet said it was nothing serious (phew).

The bleeding has completely stopped, and now her foot is blood- free. I do not suspect any pain, as she is grooming with that paw and doesn't seem to be stressed.

:peace , and thanks bunches!!

Back