please help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucylocket

Reaction score
hi guys

we have a problem with molly the hamster

she has always been a very nurveous hamster but recently has started biting us quite alot

she lives in the bathroom due to her having allergies where we have a wooden floor so when we have a bath or shower tony puts her in adrians bedroom but always comes out of the room bitten

she always cowers when we go to stroke her and that is when she stasrtd to bite us

she is no way like toffee he is so laid bk

we cant get her out of her cage as she riggles to much and im frightened incase we drop her

any advice woyld be great

love varna xxxxx

Since hamsters are nocturnal, you could be waking her up and she probably dosent like it. Use treats to help her get used to you. Let her come to you, dont just pick her up. play with her on the floor but in a pen (so she cant get away). rub your hands in her bedding to get some of her scent. this will help her feel more relaxed

I dont have much expirence with hamsters. I do have gerbils and think they are wonderful. I have only been seriosuly bitten about 3 times in 4 1/2 years.

She probably does it because she knows she gets a reaction (be it bad, or good), so the best way is to ignore the behaviour and carry on as if it hadn't happened. Easier said than done, yes, but some very thick gloves (gardening gloves are quite good, I got mine from B&Q, but I don't think they were called gardening gloves) will mean that you will be able to hold her, and if she bites you won't need to flinch, or react in anyway. She will soon learn that biting does nothing and should stop doing it.

She could also be sick.

Most small animals don't want to be bothered when they are sick. They also can go downhill so fast.

Small animals, like Molly, hide their illness until the last stages...this is when you have to act fast.

Make sure you wash your hands really well before touching the hampster (And after ofcourse, for your hygiene). If they smell any type of food or anything on your hands you could be asking for trouble.

All the hampsters I've had in my life have been very friendly, but I did learn to make sure you don't have any smell of food on your hands before handling/petting them.

That's my 2 cents :)

Crystal

Latest posts

Back