Please help, very urgent!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NZminilops

Reaction score
Hello, a girl who bought a rabbit and I know vaguely from a message board has emailed me and is really worried about her rabbit. It's the sister to my BunBun and is around 9 weks old. This is what she has said:

Hey
Can you help me out here? Im not so good with bunnys and our little REW doe isn’t looking too well at the moment.
She is very lethargic and flops when you hold her.
She never runs about like the seal point does.
Today she didn’t come out of the house part of the rabbit hutch, and when my mum picked her up she flopped on her back and closed her eyes.
Also her stomach feels sort of strange, not full and tummy like, the seal points tummy feels firm, like a tummy should, the REW tummy is squidgey.
There is always food and water available for them, so it isn’t a lack of food.
Any ideas please I am really worried, I have never experienced this before.
Melissa

I don't have much of an idea on what to say to her, except to get the bunny to a vet as soon as possible. She's only 15 but very loving and caring with her pets. Does what she describe fit any known causes of illness?

The main indicator in rabbit health is most often what their poops are like, and whether they've been eating and drinking. That's pretty essential info.

Any idea? Bunnies can be dicey at that age. Hope she's okay. :(

sas

Not good signs. May be a genetic neurological defect or other organ failure. There is probably not much that can be done, but I would encourage her to get the bunny to the vet ASAP.

Pam

After a talking to her via email a few more times, it seems that the doe has always been slightly strange. She has never really run or frolicked like the other rabbit. She has two sisters living in a hutch together so couldn't tell if the REW had pooped. She has seen her drink water. The rabbits live outside during the day then are taken in for the evening and sleep by the heater.

She says though that yesterday she was a lot worse than usual. I told her what you guys said but she must have been asleep as it was night time here when I posted. I hope her rabbit is ok! I said she must ask her mother to take the rabbit to a vert first thing in the morning.

Back