Please help!! (Smelly rabbit)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSketchyBunnies

Reaction score
With My Rabbits... Where Else Would I Be?!?!
My rabbit Lucina got spayed on the 4th of this month and she smells really bad. The incision looks fine. Normally she lives in my room in a spacious cage and I don’t have problems with any smell of any kind coming from her. (Unless I don’t clean her litter box for a few days...) My Dad & I are redoing my room & it is going to take a week or so. So we moved my rabbit’s cage into my parents room (yesterday) and I promised she wouldn’t smell bad at all, but she got spayed on the 4th and she has started to smell bad ever since. I called the vet and she said it could just be the meds she got or it could be something with her skin or something. It is pretty strong and I don’t know what to do. I clean the cage everyday but it still smells. I had to get her litter box & water bowl and put her in her carrier for now (in another room) because it is so bad. Has anyone else had this happen before? Any advice?

Thanks so much! -Kaylor

Yep. It’s only her. (But it could be her urine... Not sure) I don’t know how to describe the smell, but it is very strong and it makes my mother nauseous.
If it's her urine, maybe try switching litter to one that doesn't absorb odor as well. That may give you an indication if it's her urine.

Just giving some thoughts here, if it is her urine, why would she be all stinky. From what you described I'm sure this won't be pleasant, however when you sniff on her is the stank more pronounced toward her back end?

I tried smelling her back side and I smelled the odor although it wasn’t very pungent. Next I tried taking her litter box in the other room and tried smelling it. I didn’t really smell anything. But I had been smelling the odor for a few minutes before hand so I can’t be sure. Also when I picked her up and took a look at her incision (which looked fine) I noticed she had quite a large bald spot on the side of her left foot. I had never noticed this before. I decided to look around all of her body carefully to see if I could spot anything else of the sort. I only noticed two little bald spots on the tip of her heel on each back hock. Here are some pictures: (By the way she has pretty large feet for a rabbit so the marks are bigger then you might think.) D0F6A1F2-47F8-4466-AB9A-61F96CE25303.jpeg26AD2E10-4FD1-4E1E-BB26-0163386E74C0.jpegE65E17C4-6E04-4E4A-B072-7F6DADC4B6FD.jpeg

I tried smelling her back side and I smelled the odor although it wasn’t very pungent. Next I tried taking her litter box in the other room and tried smelling it. I didn’t really smell anything. But I had been smelling the odor for a few minutes before hand so I can’t be sure. Also when I picked her up and took a look at her incision (which looked fine) I noticed she had quite a large bald spot on the side of her left foot. I had never noticed this before. I decided to look around all of her body carefully to see if I could spot anything else of the sort. I only noticed two little bald spots on the tip of her heel on each back hock. Here are some pictures: (By the way she has pretty large feet for a rabbit so the marks are bigger then you might think.) View attachment 47519View attachment 47520View attachment 47521
Could it be her scent glands?

The bald spots on the back on the feet are quite normal, a lot of bunnies get them. As long as it doesn’t split open or get infected they should be okay. I’m not sure if it’s because of the IV

Update! I took her to the vet and had them look at both her incision from her spay and her foot. Basically they said that her incision looked fine and her foot was making the bad smell and it was an open wound. They gave me medication to give to her twice daily.
Ah okay. I’m glad she’s getting treated 🙂

Latest posts

Back