Please help! (RIP JoJo)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clean teeth

Reaction score
My daughter said she fed Jojo about 10 raisins yesterday while training him. This morning he has diarrhea. Not super runny, but noticably runny. He is normally very active (mini rex). He's hunched up and not moving. I fed him some hay last night after she told me about the raisins. What do you think???:cry2

Is it true diarrhea, or uneaten cecals? If it is truly diarrhea, he needs to go to a vet soon

This is our Library article on Diarrhea . It is entirely possible that overfeeding the treats led to an imbalance in the gut microbes, causing the diarrhea. It is unlikely that it's an intestinal parasite, as it came on so suddenly and after all those raisins. I recommend getting him and a poo sample to the vet ASAP, offering him pedialyte (syringing by mouth if needed), lots of hay, and possibly giving him Bene-Bac as well.

I don't mean to scare you, but diarrhea is on my list of "true emergencies" that require vet care ASAP. It's mostly because the rabbit will require sub-Q fluids and that is something I don't know how to do. This is a good link: http://www.thenaturetrail.com/Holland-Lops-and-Diarrhea.htm

edit: pla75 is right that gas meds may also help, since it sounds like he's in pain. You can give simethicone solution for babies (1mL per hour for 3 hrs) and see if that helps.

I think that he has severe GI upset .

This is what you need

!) a probiotic. probioticsare microoganisms that ordinarily live in the gut of mammals ;when an animals (rabbits) eat something like rasisins which are high in sugar it will totally disturb the normal gut flora and cause diarrhea . You can get a probiotic called benebac at any chain petsore ; it comes in gel form and powdered form ; the probiotic will help reestablish the gut flora that has been disrupted.
if you live near a farm store you can use a probiotic for horses. There is one called probios ..you want to make sure that it contains the microrganism lactobaccillus casei.
2) Simethicone
This can be bought at a pharmacy or walmart etc. You want to get infant liquid gas x or infant liquid mylicon

look at the back of the package and make sure the only active ingredient is simethicone . you don't want anything with aluminum hydroxide or magnesium just simethicone. You can give your bun 1 cc every sevral hours.
if your bunis outside bing her in

3)Does she seem cold? if so warm her up
You can put rice in a sock and heat it in the microwave to warm evenly and lie it next to her. make sure there are no hot spots.

4) Fluids Ideal would be subqutaneous fluids but pedialyte electrolyte drink for infants will do ; you may need this later after if you give the probiotic and simethicone . you would syringe it by mouth

If you cannot do what is recommended and you do have a rabbit knowledgeable vet take her to the vet . if you can do what is suggested you can try this first.

Also feel her tummy ; if her tummy feels hard she probably has gas and is uncomfortable ; the simethicone should help that

take away her pellets and feed only hay and water.

Raisins are fine as treats, but 10 at once is too many. I'd give no more than 3 a day.

I would give about a dime or nickel-sized amount of the probiotic, and for the Gas-X, I'd give 1mL every hour for the first 3 hours.

:nerves1well.......here it goes he's almost gone ...but he won't even swallow anymore.....:tears2:

:cry1:

ps this is the daughter talking now.....i feel horribloe since i fed him so many raisins.......:pray:i'm praying that he will stay alive.......:nerves1:cry2:cry1::pray::tears2::cry1::cry1::cry1:

:cry1:i think from now on....if he makes it ......i'm probably just never gonna give him anymore if he makes it.....:cry1::cry1::cry1:

Sometimes they can look really bad and still comeout of it

a vet could give himsq fluids
i'm so sorry

it;s not your fault because you didn't know. all of us have don things that we didn't mean because we didn't know
We all learn that way

how is he ?

I know only mods are suposed to answer but I just went through this is took storm about 3 days to even come around.

Everyone has already given you great advice make sureyour bun get 3cc of water ever two hours. The gas meds are a life savor rubb his tummy going down fromhis chest to his bumbum.

It gets worse before it get better but if you follow everything everyone has said your bun should pull through

This is the thread from storm.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=47341&forum_id=16&page=1

I am sending thought and so is Storm

:pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

Hoping your little guy pulls through.
Don't beat yourself up over making that mistake, honey - all of us at one time or another have done something similar - we're only human.

Latest posts

Back