PLEASE HELP RIGHT AWAY

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PixieMillyMommy

Reaction score
Just brought Milly home and kind of introduced her to Pixie. They are getting along and all of a sudden Pixie is on Milly humping her. I am very panicked because I dont know if Pixie is really a girl or just horomonal. Please Help. I have them seperated right now, but I would like to keep them together.

By the way.......new pics of Milly in "my 3 precious girls" blog.

I think your best bet would be to keep them seperate until you can get Pixie spayed. It is most likely hormonal, whether Pixie is a boy or girl. If she's a she, then she's trying to tell Milly who's boss, and if she's a he then he's trying to mate. Both caused by hormones.

Pixie should be old enough to spay now. Have you found a vets office who can do it for you yet?

A long time ago, before I knew much about rabbits, I bought a cute little baby. Since it was a girl, my friend and I decided it would be nice for her to play with his bunny. Well, little baby bunny ended up almost getting disemboweled and we ended up having to euthenize her.

I would not risk Pixie attacking Milly.

--Dawn

I did find a vet, so I think I will keep them seperate until shes fixed. I will probably set up an appointment right away. Will the vet tell me the sex?

These are the only photos that I could get of the **. Its really still too hard to tell by these pictures, but I guess you can see a little. :?

Things021.jpg

Things024.jpg

I'm having a hard time telling because the photos aren't really clear, but the bottom one appears to be a doe.

Does the part that is protruding when you push down gently have more of the apparance of a sloping taco shape (doe)? Or is it a full and complete circle donut shape (buck)?

Pam

PMM, how old is Pixie?? If she is really a he, you might be able to see testicles if he's about 4 months or older.

Making an appointment asap would be a great idea. The vet should most definitly tell you what sex Pixie is! They need to know so they know what operation to perform...

After Pixie is fixed and healed (about 3 weeks minimum). You can start trying to bond with Milly. Milly may become grumpy once she reaches sexual maturity but you should be able to get her fixed at that point.

--Dawn

Sloping Taco!

pamnock wrote:
I'm having a hard time telling because the photos aren't really clear, but the bottom one appears to be a doe.

Does the part that is protruding when you push down gently have more of the apparance of a sloping taco shape (doe)? Or is it a full and complete circle donut shape (buck)?

Pam

Well, I am glad you got Milly home. You must be sooo excited :biggrin2:!

I would definitely keep Milly separated from Pixie for a few weeks. You should have done a quarentine, to make sure that Milly doesn't have an illness that she can give to Pixie.

Milly just got home, allow her a few weeks to relax and get used to all the new things and attention. This will allow you a lot of time to bond with Milly.

Once Pixie is spayed and healed, you can try bonding again. It would be ideal, though, to wait until Milly is spayed as well. You could bond them after Pixie is spayed and healed, but once Milly hits puberty, they could start finding...which would break the bond.

First of all, congrats on getting Milly home. I know you've been dying to get her home wtih you. She is a cutie - then again - I have a fondness for broken (pattern) lionheads!

You have to understand that rabbits don't think like us. Pixie sees Milly as "intruding" into HER space....so she is going to hump Milly to show dominance. She may also try to hump her if she wants to breed - I have does (and bucks) that will hump anything - even my arm - when they want to breed.

But no matter how close she is - or isn't - to you .... Pixie is going to see Milly as an "intruder" and until she's neutered and calmed down a bit - she may be aggressive to her at times.

I have had mama does try to hump their baby bucks when the bucks were only 5-7 weeks of age - mainly because the mama wanted to breed so badly and that was the only buck she could get access to.

If you want them to get used to each other - you could put their cages side by side and let them be close that way. Also - I would let them see each other when one is out playing and the other one is in the cage...

Finally, Amy had a reallyi good point about quarantining Milly. Even though she came from a breeder - I've know of breeders who brought in a new rabbit (from another trusted breeder) only to wind up losing animals because the rabbit brought in something unexpected. I usually quarantine for 3 weeks if possible - although there have been times when I've made exceptions.

Congrats on bringing Milly home - I'm sure you'll enjoy both your bunnies. Just remember when they do stuff like this - it isn't that they're "bad" bunnies (not that you said that) - it is that they ARE bunnies and bunnies think and act differently than we do. What is normal to us is strange to them....and what is normal to them may seem aggressive or angry or bossy to us. Yet - it is in their nature because this is how they survive. At least, I try to telling that to myself when Popcorn chases the cat.....finally last night Mitzi stood up to her and hissed at her and Popcorn looked at me like, "What the .....? How DARE she stand up to me and hiss?". Popcorn even chases the dog away sometimes. Part of me goes, "Bad girl" and part of me goes, "Well...that just would be what would keep her babies alive if she was living in the wild...so its her nature".

But I ramble far too much.....

Peg

Back