PLEASE HELP! Not sure if babies are getting enough milk!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimberly09

Reaction score
I am worried that the kits are not getting enough milk. To me their bellies don't look very round, and more flat. I have been watching over the past day a few times a day and they don't seem to get bigger. If anything they are getting more flat.

Any input on what you think, and what you think I should do would be GREATLY appreciated.

Here are a few pictures of 3 of the 5 kits. One is the largest and the other two are the smallest in the litter.

IMG_9143.jpg

IMG_9144.jpg

IMG_9145.jpg

IMG_9146.jpg

IMG_9148.jpg

IMG_9149.jpg

they are furred. they look healthy in pictures. As long as they are growing they'll be getting enough. She may be feeding them once in the middle of the night, then in the morning and during the day they won't look as full.

Just watch and see if they continue to grow.

If they don't, once they have their eyes open they can be supplemented with goat milk in a saucer.

They don't look undernourished. You could try supplementing with some goat's milk if they aren't gaining weight. We've only had one doe abandon a litter, at 1 1/2 weeks, and they started leaving the nestbox. At the time, we didn't realize what was happening because the kits were well furred and it wasn't obvious they'd lost weight. Early experiences like this taught us to watch kits closer.

I think they are looking healthy, as they get older their bellies will seem less round because they are getting more rabbit-like in appearance. Just make sure to watch weights and watch to make sure they are growing

Thank you guys! I went and bought a kitchen scale today and weighed them. I'm going to start weighing them 2x a day (morning and evening).

They don't look undernourished. You could try supplementing with some goat's milk if they aren't gaining weight. We've only had one doe abandon a litter, at 1 1/2 weeks, and they started leaving the nestbox. At the time, we didn't realize what was happening because the kits were well furred and it wasn't obvious they'd lost weight. Early experiences like this taught us to watch kits closer.

This is one thing that has be worried. They all keep crawling out of the nesting box. And I made a pretty high towel wall and they literally scale the edge to crawl out. It doesn't seem like they just accidentally "falling out". Today I was in there, an hour later I go back and ALL five of them were out of it.

I have some kitten replacement powder. Could I use that if I need to supplement? Or is goats milk better?

Guess I should add that they are somewhere between 8-10 days old. Eyes look like they are getting ready to open.

Last edited:
hmm maybe you could try adding cardboard around the sides, you don't want them to stray far from the nest because then they could get cold. And yep they should be opening their eyes soon! Around 10-14 days, 11 days is average for me. Once they open their eyes make sure to watch them to make sure they are clear. They can get crusted shut so it's important to watch them:)

Thank you guys! I went and bought a kitchen scale today and weighed them. I'm going to start weighing them 2x a day (morning and evening).

This is one thing that has be worried. They all keep crawling out of the nesting box. And I made a pretty high towel wall and they literally scale the edge to crawl out. It doesn't seem like they just accidentally "falling out". Today I was in there, an hour later I go back and ALL five of them were out of it.

I have some kitten replacement powder. Could I use that if I need to supplement? Or is goats milk better?

Guess I should add that they are somewhere between 8-10 days old. Eyes look like they are getting ready to open.

All I used when Chico and Chica were 4 days old up to 4 months at times was Kitten Replacement powder and when I could find it, the same Kitten Replacement Milk that was in cans. It will work fine.

In fact, they STILL love it!!

When I can find a short can I give it to them and they drink it like it was fine wine. Afterwards they don't even want to touch water!!!

With chico and chica I had them in a box that was covered by the top of a regular rabbit cage (the white with bars) and lined that was a towel. Other times, I put them in a cage, but you have the mother and in their case she died... Also, we used a rabbit fur lined winter hat to put them in to make them think their mom was still around. Maybe that is something you could do and
they would be a little less active. I know when my two were in there they would snuggle and sleep. How is the nest area that the mom put together?
My husband came up with the idea of the rabbit fur lined hat and it really worked best. After we would put them in there, they would instantly calm down and sleep. I would warm it up some times with a heating pad so they
would think it was mom...

Keep us posted!

Vanessa

It's one of two things...they're just rambunctious and ready to explore early or they're getting hungry and searching for food. You'd be amazed at what a kit can get through and how far they can go. Weighing them may be a good idea. I hope the mom hasn't stopped feeding them, but you'll know that way. You could use either. We've used KMR and a syringe or eye dropper, but I've heard good things about goats milk too.

Good News! They have gained weight! The first weight is from 12/29 at 5:00pm (when I bought the scale) and the second is 12/30 at 8:00am

A: 4.05 oz 4.40 oz
B: 3.45 oz 3.80 oz
C: 4.50 oz 4.75 oz
D: 3.95 oz 4.40 oz
E: 3.30 oz 3.60 oz

So as long as they are gaining weight they are good right? Or is there is certain amount they should be gaining? I know it is different with different sized rabbits, my guess is the mother is around 6 or 7lbs and the father is unknown.

It sounds like they're being fed. No set weight gain that I know of at this point. Ours usually open their eyes by 14 days and then they'll at least know where they're going.

The babies are still gaining weight. 3 of the kits have their eyes open, 1 had one eye open, and 1 doesn't seem to have either open yet.

I'm still a little concerned, since every time the mom is near the nesting box the babies literally jump out at her and instantly try to nurse. Now with their ears and eyes open they can tell when she is around. Mom does not let them nurse, and instead she runs away or jumps on her box to get away. I'm not sure if this is normal or a sign they are not getting enough milk?

Here are the morning weights, First number is 12/30, then 12/31, and then this morning 1/1

A: 4.40 oz 4.65 oz 4.90 oz
B: 3.80 oz 4.15 oz 4.80 oz
C: 4.75 oz 5.00 oz 5.35 oz
D: 4.40 oz 4.75 oz 4.85 oz
E: 3.60 oz 4.00 oz 4.55 oz

So in 48 hours gained they gained
A: .50 oz
B: 1.00 oz
C: .60 oz
D: .45 oz
E: .95 oz

That is normal. Momma will only let them nurse once to twice a day but the babies will try stealing as much as they can. At this point I would just watch the ones with their eyes closed and if it is passed 14 days I would help them open their eyes. Otherwise everything I'm hearing is normal:)

Okay thank you so much! I think I am just being over paranoid since this is my first time dealing with kits and I don't want anything to go wrong!

Latest posts

Back