Please help me identify the colors of these to fuzzy lops

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to see other pictures of these bunnies at earlier ages/stages there is a thread in the bunny blogs calls that has lots of pictures.

attachment.php

This top picture looks like the kits eyes are Brown? (correct me if I'm wrong)... if the eyes are in fact brown... here's your litter's colors(Left to Right)...

attachment.php

Black (or Self Black Chin) / Smutty Orange / Black (or Self Black Chin) / Sable / Black Chin / Black Chin

Nice Variety!

~Sunshine

Edit: Something to also keep in mind, you "Black" Buck may possibly be a Self Chin - you now know that at least the buck or the doe carries the "c[sup]chl[/sup]" gene ;).

Thanks everyone. Are you sure the smoky colored guy is a sable point. I have a sable point and he doesn't look anything like it. My senior sable point buck has a creamy white coat with dark points.

This is what is says in my Breed guide book I got when becoming a member of the AFLRC. Identifying colors page 94 Shaded Group sable point: These are born pink and turn to a cream or light beige color. There may be an appearance of ticking on the body with development of the baby wool. This ticking then develops into a more defined shading of sepia brown. Shading of brown will appear on the nose, ears, flanks and tail. Eye color is brown.

This guy's eyes are brown but he wasn't pink at birth and hasn't turned to cream or light beige. He was silvery gray with what looked like tort shading. I thought for sure he was some sort of tort because of distinct flank shading.

Are there different types of sable points? Do you think this guy is showable?

Please forgive my ignorance. I'm just getting started in this breed, only inmy second year. The national convention for fuzzy lops is in my state this year and I don't want to look like a total idiot (not sure that will be possible, but I'm going to try with the help of you all).

Thanks again.

I'm sure he's a sable point.Thebody colorcan very widely from dark to very light, especially if the rabbit is heterozygous shaded cchl and REW "c"-- this combination produces a very light coat and very light eye color with a ruby glow.

All the sable points we had were darker like yours because ours were homozygous shadeds.

Yours will also lighten up quite a bit as the wool grows. His color is showable.

There is a photo of a sable point AFL at the top of this site

http://www.mysticalmistminiatures.com/fdoe.html

Pam

Thank you Pam! What about the other one?. Am I right that it's just a smutty orange?Personally, this is my favorite one of the litter, although all the others are not too far behind.

I so appreciate all your thoughts. The color coatgenetics part of fuzzies is so facinating and fun. :)

I love the website you linked to for the color examples. I've visited that site before many times.

Here's todays picture of Diablo, my senior sable point (virgin) buck.

I had to take a picture of him today because he is looking smoking hot! Seriously, this is the best I've ever seen him. No grooming. I know, his ears are too long. Can you see the red tint in his eyes that Pam is talking about?

Your Fuzzies are all so pretty.

Maybe your little one is a darker sable point like my Toby:

TobysFirstBirthdayMarch152006015.jpg

Although, I'm still not certain of his color. The fur on his back seems to be getting darker. His eyes have the ruby cast, too.

Here's a baby pic of him:

Day1Toby.jpg

Sorry to butt into your thread, but your little one reminds me of my Tobyas a baby.

You're not butting in at all, Laura!Thanks for sharing the adorable pictures. The mother of this litters name is Toby, what a coincidence!

bojay wrote:
The mother of this litters name is Toby, what a coincidence!

I noticed that a few months back. I thought it was funny, too.

Thanks, Pam. Here's what Toby's back looks like after a haircut:

RabbitsDecember172005006.jpg

That fur on his back is not like the wool on the rest of his body. Of course, his breeder culled him for a pet, probably because of his coat, so I'm not surprised.

I actually prefer that darker fur. It'snice and easy to manage

Latest posts

Back