please help me help daisy, is she okay?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no yellow, and no clear liquid. its so weird how all these weird things are just coming and going, im going to be taking her to a vet soon!! shes eating and drinking, peeing and pooping, and i know thats the most important thing about rabbits.

Good Luck! I hope that there isn't anymore problems! I bred my male holland with my mini lop (the mini lop is bigger, so no probs there i hope) and I think she got an opening to nip at his private part... it bleeding still, and it happened at like 4:30 this afternoon, I'm keeping him in my room until I know that he is okay!!! I have never bred rabbits before, but I did make sure that I put my doe in the bucks cage, but she is still aggresive I think...

Ok I really wanted to figure this out so I posted on a forum that has most of RO's past rabbit breeders and got two replies. Also I was wondering if there was an update on the doe. Here is the actual forum. Im not sure if you can see it unless you join but it is
http://s4.zetaboards.com/Rabbit_Addict/topic/9694337/1/#new

And here are the replies
"yes, it can cause problems. In the dwarf breeds a small true dwarf doe can have trouble delivering larger false dwarf kits -- we had one JW doe who's largest kit was always stillborn (3 litters - each litter with one stretched, one peanut and 2 normal kits) and looked stretched. In one case the entire litter was lost, probably because the other kits died while she struggled to deliver the largest first (course she also had that litter on the wire and we didn't find them until morning).

That said, scaring people who made an honest error with horror stories isn't helpful. While I've lost kits and in the one case the whole litter, I haven't lost a doe to this. And I know plenty of alternative cases where everything worked out just fine. "

"With my Holland Lops, I have used a larger false dwarf buck with smaller true dwarf does with no ill effects. Dwarf does can have larger 'normal' kits even breeding dwarf x dwarf, so a swarf birthing a 'normal' happens pretty regularly around here without any problems.

I have also had very large false dwarf does bred to small dwarf bucks have issues with large stuck kits-- so in my experience its not really the buck/doe/dwarf/nondwarf relation between parents that has been the source of any issues, its something with each individual pregnancy. It seems that most often, the doe's body regulated growth of the fetuses inside the doe so she can give birth safely, and those that will be much bigger grow much bigger once born. When something goes wrong with that regulation, it doesn't seem to matter if the doe is bigger or smaller or the same size as the buck she was bred to.

However when breeding dwarf x non-dwarf Hollands, the largest size difference between parents has been 1 to 2 pounds. If your friend's dwarf doe is a small true dwarf or 2-3 pounds, perhaps the 8-9 pound size of an adult Rex could cause more issues.

Even so, I would be more concerned about the younger age of the doe meaning her reproductive tract was not yet as mature, than I would about the size of the buck. "

Has anything happened? Have you got Daisy to the vet? I think we'd all really like an update! :pray:

that post really helped woahlookitsme!! thank you!! so you were right on that, and i havent noticed any more yellow. that was only the one time, i dont knnow what it could have been, but nothing since. the water leaking stopped, again only since that day have i seen anything, and trust me i check her ALL the time lol i think shes starting to get annoyed with me because she is one rabbit that DOES NOT like to be picked up, never has. cant blame her, if i was a ground dweller, id feel the same!! now, ive been feeling her tummy for some activity, and i cant feel much, sometimes i think i feel movement, but not 100% positive. although her belly has gotten a bit bigger, and more firm. her nipples are getting a bit larger, and she still wants NOTHING to do with Mister Bunny <she did before they mated>. so im still pretty sure she is pregnant, and since today is the 4th.. im 100% she concieved on the 9th. so that makes today DAY 26! and i am hoping for a good delivery. also, i must add, that i am not sure if she is a true dwarf. when i got her they lady didnt know what breed she was, i was only told she was a dwarf mix. so i dont know. but all in all daisy seems to be doing well, shes taking it like a champ! and im giving her so much attention i think im causing bad habbits! lol. so we should be expecting anyday now.

only thing that concerns me now is that she is not nesting. ive given proper nesting materials, and she is just not taking advantage of them. what to do about that? id like to think she is just go ahead and nest when she is ready, it is instinct right? should i be concerned?

i think daisy will be okay. i may have jumped to the worrying too fast, but i just care too much for my babygirl to let anything bad happen to her!! i dont know what i would do. i actually decided to get a bunny because i lost a dog last march, and i needed another animal to help me cope with my loss, but i am not ready for another dog!! so i did some basic research, and found a bunny would be perfect! but when i got mister bunny, i jjust HAD to get him a friend and then came daisy! i SO did NOT plan for any of THIS lol. but its a learning experience and i wouldnt be able to do it without you guys, thank you!!

okay, ive never been so sure until now. I FELT ACTION IN HER TUMMY!! yay. she was lying next to me, i put my hands under her belly from her sides, and waited.. i very gently rubbed a bit, and BOOM, i felt movement in her tummy. i didnt know who else to share this with.. :) :) im SOOOO happy.

yay! And if today is day 26 dont worry. We give our does nestboxes on day 28 and thats when they start seriously gathering hay. Usually 29-30 is when youll see it unless the bun is extra prepared and nests before that. Try to find a place where she can feel comfortable having the babies. Like a plastic shoe container or something so you can get it ready to give to her when she starts gathering hay

My computer isnt workng right now but ill try to find a picture of the nest boxes we use. The top is only half covered but the does love to rest up there and get some me time away from the babies that love to feed at all hours of the day lol. the babies also love to get on top and hang out

791611015704C.jpg

Back