please help me help daisy, is she okay?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furrybutts

Reaction score
I have a four month old dwarf rabbit, she concieved on either august 2nd, or 9th. If she did concieve on the 2nd she is now 27 days pregnant. Today i noticed a very little amount of fur on top of her hay, i gave her cage one last good cleaning, seeing as how i think she will be having kits soon. I let her out for a bit tonight, and noticed she was leaking small drops of what seemed to be clear fluid on the couch. I put her back in her cage, but since then she is not building her nest. What was the clear fluid? Could her water have broke? If so, how long until the kits come? Also, this wasnt a planned pregnancy, i did happen to get my male neutered, but i introduced them too early, (after two weeks) not knowing that it would literallyonly take 2 seconds for her to get pregnant. He is a full sized rex, could there be a possibility of her dying since she is a dwarf having full sized rex buns? please, help!!

^^^ from last night, still no babies. Daisy is drinking way more water than normal, and she seems to be eating okay. the clear fluid seemed to stop leaking from her baby maker area, i'm just concerned that the fluid is a bad sign. someone please, any info is great!! ive done so much research, but this is the one question that hasnt been fully answered, and i want to make Daisy as comfortable as possible for the remainder of her pregnant. THANK YOU!!

personally I would take her to the vet and have her checked out. She has 2 things against her. She is way to young to be carrying babies, and the male is much bigger than her. She may not be able to deliver them, you need to know if she can or not.

I thought she may be too young aswell, I got her from the pet store, they said she was about 2 months old, she just came in. so if im doing the math correctly, she should be just over 4 months. however, when i brought her home, i neutered mister bunny RIGHT AWAY. i waited two weeks like i was told to, until i introduce them, there was mounting involved, i seen her butt go up in the air , and mister bunny made a squeak noise. I immediatley looked up what just happened, and read that he in fact is still fertile (says rabbit house asso.) and that the noise means they had indeed got it on.

after some much needed research, i thought that maybe she wouldnt put her rump in the air if she wasnt ready. so i figured that i had just made a mistake, got get pregnant, everything will be okay even though she is a dwarf having rex kits, and now im just nervous, freaking out, i want to cry, i feel like a horrible rabbit owner, and i just want to make sure SHE will ultimatley be okay

Calm down, you are not a horrible rabbit owner. I second the trip to the vet. Keep us posted on Daisy's progress.

i just dont know what i would do should anything happen to her, and it being something i could have prevented if i wasnt ignorant. the thing is i wont be able to get her to a vet until about a week or so from now, and she would have had her babies by then. im stuck!! i softly rubbed her belly, i dont feel much movement in her tummy, its kind of hard though, i notice if shes not sleeping shes drinking lots of water, and if shes not drinking, shes grooming herself. lol usually she is ALWAYS biting at her cage to get out but she doesnt have AS MUCH of an interest to come out and play. even my male rabbit seems a bit lethargic lol. could male rabbits have like sympathy pregnancy symptoms? interesting .. ill post the pictures i have on hand right now in just a second.

Did you tell them at the vet's it was an emergency?

And who told you the male was no longer after 2 weeks? After 2 weeks it would be ok to put him with a spayed female, but not an unspayed one?

I do not have house rabbits so I do not notice if clear fluid leaks from our girls when they are pregnant. The only things I would notice is if its visible in the drop trays under them. I am not sure if rabbits go through a water break but they might. What we do notice before is a bunch of nesting behavior such as the normal gathering hay in the mouth. We put nest boxes in our cages on Day 28. Usually moms don't use them as litter boxes unless we put it in too early for the bun or she isn't preggo. Momma rabbits usually will pull fur from their belly/hips or dewlap if they have one. This varies on the rabbit as far as when it happens, it could be weeks before or hours before but the majority of hair pulling happens right before. We notice a day or two before our does appetite will decrease and they will lay around a lot changing positions frequently.

If she is biting at her cage try giving her bedding material such as hay to gather and work on a nest. That might be causing it.

Dont think males have sympathy symptoms but ours always feel content and relaxed after a breeding session.

As for the size difference. I havent had much experience with it but the babies will grow to fit the size of the doe. Since she is dwarf (if she truly has the dwarf gene) and the dad is normal you wont have any dwarf babies (this gene is recessive). We had a doe give birth to 7 babies and they were all just super small but all survived. The thing you would have to watch out for or might want to research are fetal giants. Of course also any birthing complications can be experienced but i'm not sure a vet can help you determine if she will have them. You can try being there when she kindles and help if any kits become stuck by helping. I dont have any experience with this but you can research it also just in case.

Good luck to you!

yes i explained to them the situation, and thats the response i got!! i even called around, but in my area, i dont have any vets who specialize in rabbits, i was even told to not give my bun any food or water before he got neutered, but i knew better than to do that so i called back, and then the vet said "oh yea thats right" basically. im trying to work with the resources i have, the closest vet that specializes in rabbits is an hour away, and between mine and my fiances jobs, theres NO way. im literally stuck. and i keep watching her trying to notice signs of pain, and such, but we all know how hard that is!!

also the vet i took mister bunny to is the one who said two weeks, and his hormones should be gone, well im glad i researched, because i woujld still think this today!!

LakeCondo wrote:
Did you tell them at the vet's it was an emergency?

And who told you the male was no longer after 2 weeks? After 2 weeks it would be ok to put him with a spayed female, but not an unspayed one?
well the female would've been too young to be spayed at the time the male was neutered (females get spayed around 4-6 months of age), so it was a recently-neutered male with an unspayed female... and yeah, it can take a month or so for a male to no longer be able to knock up a female.

please don't beat yourself up or feel like a bad owner! you're doing lots of research and working your butt off to make sure your bunn is happy and healthy - that makes a GOOD owner in my book! we've all made a preventable mistake now and then when first starting out with bunnies (I used pine bedding for a couple days before I learned what a HUGE no-no that was). he was neutered, and with most animals that automatically means no more chance of knocking up a female - you made an understandable mistake and are doing everything you need to in order to fix it!

I'd offer advice if I could, but I've never dealt with a pregnant bunny so I'm clueless ><

woahlookitsme, you have no idea how comforting your response was to me. lol i LITERALLY took a deep breath and said to myself, "okay we can do this". so i shouldnt worry much about her being "too small" to give birth? also, i didnt know much about genes and breeding, actually i know nothing at all, but im learning as much as i can!! so they will all be normal sized rex?

IMBRIUM, thank you for the compliment, i really am working as hard as i can! :) but please tell me what you found about pine bedding... ive used it for a while but i usually mix it with the softer stuff.

it can cause respiratory problems and even liver problems (source: http://www.rabbit.org/journal/1/liver-disease.html ). I made the switch away from pine a day or two before my bunnies' first vet check-up and he could actually tell just from looking at them that I'd used the wrong kind briefly.

the best thing to use for bedding is something like carefresh or critter care - recycled paper pulp, which is at least as soft as pine and won't cause any health problems... or if you have a NIC cage, most folks skip the bedding entirely and line the cage with fleece which cuts down on the mess (and expense)

for litter boxes, avoid wood shavings (pine, cedar, etc) and ALL types of clay cat litter. carefresh, wood pellets (as opposed to shavings), paper pellets and all sorts of other beddings/litters will work just fine. the page I linked to above also has a list of which beddings and litters are good to use :)

They might not turn out as big as full grown standard rex but they will be equal to or bigger than mom full grown. As far as birthing size. You will not get any peanuts (only seen with a dwarf to dwarf breeding where the recessive dwarf gene is aquired from each parent). Runts are a possibility and so are giants. The giants create problems and usually dont survive because they end up being stuck or just grow to large if i remember correctly. We had a doe that had a super long kit and people from another forum concluded it was a fetal giant that just got stuck. Sadly it was stuck so long the other babies she gave birth to died also.

Here are some discussions about giant kits
http://z13.invisionfree.com/RabbitHabbit_Forums/ar/t31408.htm
http://z13.invisionfree.com/RabbitHabbit_Forums/ar/t13007.htm
Im sure you can find more info on it but the best thing would be to just be there during the birthing process.

EDIT: Are we talking about a standard rex (10-11lbs max) or a mini rex (4-5lbs max)

i was told hes a standard rex, but he def doesnt weigh 10-11 lbs yet, hes about 5 months, and hes larger than a mini rex. could he still be growing? and when the fetal giant was stuck, did you help get him out? or is it best to just let her do her thing? i just took 1,000 pictures, i need help posting them!! how do i do that??

and i knew cedar was bad, i thought pine was okay cause the bag says dust free, okay now i know! ill be making this change IMMEDIATLEY. mister bunny only have the pine shavings in his litter box, but daisy still uses the pine for bedding, better make that change before the kits get here!! THANK YOU!

at 5mos old he is still growing. I just wanted to make sure. It was my moms himalayan that had a stretched and enlarged baby. She had him on her own we have never been there during the actual kindling (it usually happens in the early morning or at night) and havent had to pull a baby so I do not know how to do it but im sure you can google search something.

I post pictures via photobucket or you can link them to your gallery

Latest posts

Back