please help me help daisy, is she okay?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can just google "rabbit breeders in ___" (wherever you live) and you should be able to come up with something if there is one. most breeders (even small-scale ones) have some sort of website these days :)

You may even be able to get help from your local humane society. You need to phone them and tell them your circumstances and the problem. someone out there should be able to help you. I her tummy is hard, and leaking fluid, I would say that she is in labor. Have you checked to see if she has dilated at all. Will they vet not allow you to pay later.

I would be really worried about a kit getting stuck and killing her, it would be a horribly painful way to die. She should have had an emergency spay to abort the kits in the beginning. :(

i had a helpful tip earlier, someone said that the babies will grow to fit the size of the doe. i also did some research, and came up with the same answer... i dont think that should be much of my concern, but if she does have a fetal giant, then ill be concerned. ive been watching her every move. she may be 21 or 28 days pregnant today, but theres not too many signs of them coming right away besides last night, i noticed some weird behavior, but since last night thats all stopped, so we shall see.

and i have been checking her baby maker area, and she doesnt seem to be dialated. everything seems to be pretty closed up. and there was about six dime sized spot of fluid on my couch (its leather thats why it was so noticable to me) last night, but no action since. i can tell she is so so tired, and shes been drinking like three times the normal amount of water. i give her a bowl so ive refilled it like 5 times today to keep it fresh. shes eating and poopin, and peeing all normally, so i do think she is okay as of now, the fluids just freaked me out last night. i cant think of what it couldve been. i even thought maybe she did pee a little bit, but it wouldnt be in scattered little spots, she would pee in one spot.

Imbrium wrote
it can take a month or so for a male to no longer be able to knock up a female.

he was neutered, and with most animals that automatically means no more chance of knocking up a female

I would not be assuming males of any species immediately lost their sperm right after they were neutered.

Any nesting behavior going on? If you dont get babies by monday then she might have gotten hit on the 9th?

no, no nesting behaviour, she has unlimited supply of hay right now, im getting her a bigger cage also tonight. OKAY BUT NOW IM FREAKING OUT AGAIN!! so i let her out this morning, and because shes been moody, i let her stay out for about 4 hours, she was runnin round, happy hoppin, and being her cute little self. i picked her up to check her baby maker and it doesnt seem to be dialated, so i dont know what that clear liquid could have been two days ago.. NOW im noticing a little bit of yellow oozy stuff!! whats going on?? does this happen in pregnant bunnies? is it something to worry about? is she infected? aaahhhh!!should i clean it with a warm wash cloth? i dont know!! HELP please!!

theres not enough yellow oozy stuff to the point to where its dripping out of her that i notice, but its really yellow looking. i didnt like stick my nose in it, but i tried to see if there was some kind of odor.. and i didnt notice one. i figured if it was stinky maybe its some kind of infection, but i couldnt smell anything.

It is quite possible that her water broke the other night on the couch. A baby got stuck and died in her and now pyometria has set in. Please take her to the vet ASAP!

The idea that babies only grow to fit the space is crap. The breed and genetics are what determine that. They may grow slightly larger or smaller depending on room but the parents size is the largest determining factor. Please don't let your rabbit suffer because you are choosing the facts you want to hear.

Yellow doesnt sound good. Intact females can get uterine infections. I would really take her in at this point to someone. Im sure an xray can be done on her. This should show any fluids and if she is even preggo. When my lamb had pneumonia i took her to my boss who only treats dogs and cats and even they were able to help me out. It doesnt hurt to ask a vet but make sure to tell whoever picks up the phone your story. Let them know there arent any real rabbit vets around you and short of driving far you just wanted an opinion. It cant hurt to call around and ask. Good luck! But like i said i dont have house rabbits so unless its noticeable in their drop pans i have no clue what liquids come out of our preggo moms

I'm not sure since I've never bred rabbits, although the one thing that comes to mind right away is to please try calling a emergency vet. Even if you can't get the bunny there, they should be able to give you some advice. Call your vet, explain again you think this is an emergency and if they won't get you in, ask for their emergency vet number. Emergency clinics are pricey but you could at least call for advice. That can be a huge help.

MiniLopHop wrote:
It is quite possible that her water broke the other night on the couch. A baby got stuck and died in her and now pyometria has set in. Please take her to the vet ASAP!

The idea that babies only grow to fit the space is crap. The breed and genetics are what determine that. They may grow slightly larger or smaller depending on room but the parents size is the largest determining factor. Please don't let your rabbit suffer because you are choosing the facts you want to hear.

Have you ever bred a large rabbit to a small rabbit? Im just wondering.
When babies are born they usually grow to fit the space in their mom. This is why i ended up seeing a noticeably smaller kit size with a litter of 7. But When my tan had one baby it was abnormally large because it was the only one in the litter so it had more room to grow. I just wanted to know if you had specific experience with it or were just stating an opinion?

I worked in an animal emergency room and saw the sad consequences in other people's animals. Perhaps I am over reacting, but it really sounds dangerous to me and I have seen does die with the babies stuck.

I think your experience is from the same breeds, so yes there is some fluctuation. With the larger male the genetics will take over and make them too large for the mom to birth.

thank you guys for all of your opinions, im going to make a few phone calls and see what i can do for her. as of now, im not noticing her being in any pain, shes acting normal besides drinking alot, and being a little tired, but i think i can expect that being she is pregnant. im going to spend some extra time with her tonight. should i be concerned about her drinking so much water? and peeing alo?

We just had a similar situation happen with a person we know and the baby got huge and stuck inside the mom, she needed to have a c section to have it removed. She was a dwarf bred to a standard rex as well.

She really needs to at least be seen by a vet.

Back