Please help me. Breathing Issues again.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flashy

Reaction score
It's 1.40am.

I've got a problem with Badger and I'm terrified and don't know if this warrants an emergency vet, or even what I should do until then.

Three weeks ago (well, three weeks on Thursday) Badger had a dental. He had it because every so often, when he was asleep, he would make a funny, squelchy, gaggy noise from his mouth. It was very occassional, maybe once every 24 hours.

He has been fine since.

I spent from 4pm to 11.30pm with him continunously and do this everyday (he's bonding with Rosie), and he has been fine today.

Since going to bed, in my room he's done that funny noise four times and when I was watching him he had his nose in the air as far as it could go, was breathing super quick, and at one point even looked like mouth breathing, then he would do that noise and settle a bit more.

I've brought him out of my room and given him some food in case he as something caught (and he has eaten stuff). I have checked his gums and they look pink. He's very alert and lively and running around.

What on EARTH do I do? Does this warrant an emergency vet? Given it's the middle of the night and that he seems ok when awake.

I'm so, so scared I'm going to lose him.

- Location UK

- Description (Breed, color., weight) Vienna marked black, nethie. Roughly 1.6kg, good healthy weight.

- Age 3 years, 2 months

- spayed/neutered? Neutered July 2007

- Notes on Fecal and Urinary Output
- are the bunny's poops and pees normal? Yes
- When did they last use their litterbox? Well he didn't us the litter tray, but just now
- Any unusual behavior? Not with poops and pees

- Medical History -- has s/he been to the vet or been sick before? He's had two dentals, the most recent was 3 weeks ago. They also did a skull x-ray then and he has no tooth root issues

- Diet - what does your bunny eat? hay, excel pellets, occasionally some fresh
- when and what did s/he eat last? Just munched some pellets

- movement - any unusual movements? Is s/he hopping normally? Hopping fine.

- are there any plants, chocolate or other substances within reach? Nope

- has the rabbit been outdoors? Nope

What could cause this in my room and why is it not affecting the others?

He will go to the vets tomorrow at the very latest.

Well I have had Beau do this strange thing with his mouth where he stretches his neck way out as if he seems to want to dislodge something in his mouth ...but it doesn't involve breathing
Badger Stretching his neck upward is also a way for him to get more air if he is having difficulty breathing.

if he was having difficulty breathing he may become panicy trying to get more air.
I think that you may want to watch him a little more, however if this continuesI would do the emergency vet.

he could be having some kind of drainage down histhroat or esophageal problems like Babette....

Does he look like hs is gasping ???

Thanks Maureen.

Someone on another forum helped calm me down and suggested what I had been thinking.

I stayed with him all night in the living room. I heard no more of his coughing noise, and other than very fast breathing, he's been fine.

At the time yes, he was gasping, and I think you are right when you mention Babette; I do think something is draining, but the question, is what, and why. Unless of course he did have something caught that the food shifted.

He has a vets apointment in 2 hours.

Let us know how it goes!

I know I will be interested as sometimes, Snuff will be laying down and make a weird cough/sneeze noise too. I don't worry about it as it is not often, but this will be interesting to find out.

Good Luck T!:)

It's all happening here.

Badger seems ok. The vet said he can't hear any signs of infection but is concerned by his damp nose. So Badger is on Septrin for now to hopefully, at the least, keep him safe and stable over Christmas.

We discussed the next step, which would be a chest x-ray, but that won't be done until the new year unless he deterioriates.

He is currently living it up in our living room, where it is warmer than my bedroom and will prevent any air changes. He might be about to experience his best Christmas ever :D

However, now Cloud is struggling with his breathing (Cloud is known to have problems-I think this horrid weather is seeking out the vulnerable), and Roger is not eating much. Marvellous.

Thank you for asking :)

Badger is his normal perky self. He HATES Septrin with a passion, but he will just have to get over that. His nose is a bit damp but I haven't moved him from our warmer living room since we came home yesterday and we haven't had any more coughing, mouth breathing, tilted head breathing, or anything else that is cause for concern :D

Cloud seems less stressed with his breathing today too. The temperature has gone up a few degrees and the snow is finally starting to melt and this has helped. I did, however, have a chat with my vet this morning (because we already knew Cloud had issues, or else I would have taken Cloud in) and he agrees with me in that I have started doing the same for Cloud as I am for Badger (Metacam and Septrin), and my vet said that was all fine and the right thing to do. So that's ok.

Roger is also doing better today. He is taking losing Tilly both quite well and quite hard, but seems a bit better today.

And completely unrelated, but our cat had a blood test yesterday and her H4 levels (related to her thyroid), have come down from 144 to 13.5 (they should be between 13 and 65), so this is great.

Hopefully today will be a better day here at Flash's Place!

Sorry I haven't been around to help. I think it sounds like you handled it well. Breathing things worry me a lot, so I probably wouldn't have helped calm you down at all. Hope things are better today...

Latest posts

Back