Please help, idk what to do

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunbunbee

Reaction score
Okay so I have had my bunny since july. He is not nurtured, and I keep his cage in my room. I dont know of that matters, but for the past two or three months I have been noticing a musty smell. I smell bad, and I assumed i it was my washer but my parents think it is my bunny. As time has gone on, the smell is getting worse .:confused:Before I had him I never had this problem. My clothes smell putrid, at school even my boyfriend notices the smell. Im a new bunny owner, and idk if im doing something wrong or not. Please help, thanks!

The musty smell could very well be from your boy bunny. Neutering him will reduce the smell. Intact males tend to have very strong, musty-smelling urine and they often like to spray it about.
He's certainly old enough to neuter, so you may want to check into that asap.

Someone told me if I get him neutered there is a chance it could kill him :/

Neutering is a very common procedure for rabbits, however like all surgeries, it does pose a small risk of something going wrong. It's something you need to weigh up yourself. I got my boy bun neutered around 3-4 months; the surgery went well and he recovered fantastically, he's now bonded with my girl bun (fixed) and I never notice any smells from either of them. Make sure you find a vet that's experienced with rabbits.

i got both my bunnies spayed (they are girls) and they were fine. make sure it is a vet that actualy knows about bunnies. i have heard that males have a strong smell
:)

I have a flemish giant buck, 17lb of rabbit and he doesn't smell at all. Neutering made the difference.

Yep. That corn chip smell is from the boy bun. I highly recommend neutering. As was mentioned, there's always risks with any surgery, but if you find an experienced rabbit vet, the risk is minimal.

Like everyone said, neutering would certainly help. Maybe he is spraying urine and you didn't notice.
The chances of him dying during the operation are pretty slight, especially considering your rabbit is young. There are around 0.3% of rabbits dying during this procedure, and females are more at risk, older rabbits too and the majority of the rabbits dying is caused by heart problems that the rabbit already had or allergy to the anesthesia. So, don't worry too much about the risks. The important thing is to have a vet who has experience dealing with rabbits (I'm not above asking a vet if they do that kind of procedure often or if they think I should make the rabbit fast before the operation to check if they know what they are talking about and please, ask something for the pain, like Metacam, after the operation if the vet doesn't give it to you).

About your current situation, do your rabbit have a litter box inside his cage or do you put litter all over it? How often do you clean it up? If you don't have a litterbox, I would advise you buy one and train your rabbit to do his business there as it is a lot easier to clean, it smells less and it is better for the rabbit who can enjoy the clean parts of his cage. It is a LOT easier to train your rabbit to use the litterbox once he is neutered.
Also, the litter is sometimes at fault in odor matters. I once tried corn and it was awful - it smelled something awful. What are you using?

Latest posts

Back