Please help! Giving birth? Preparing?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumperina

Reaction score
We have 2 young rabbits, born inJanuary, so they should be about 5 months old. Not sure about the breed, but femaly looks like brown rabbit under letters "it" in the word "rabbit" in the header (with ears up). They have a hutch where they go for a night. Otherwise they have fenced backyard to run around where they spend a day. We live in Kansas, it will begetting really hot soon. In the hot daysin the past I was taking them inside when I saw they didnot do very well.

We have several problems with habitat. I would love to have the hutch in the backyard as well, butbackyard faces west and there is absolutely no trees so it gets miserably hot in the afternoon. There is a large deckon the backso the rabbits like to sit under it on the cooler cement. The hutch is located at the side of the house. Another problem is that rabbits can't get in and out of it by themselves --- it has opening only on the top. So I take them out and in every day (have to pick them up).

The male has been mounting the female during the last month. I don't know if she is pregnant or not but she is acting strange. We have AC unit on the back that stands on the piece of cement. She digged a long hole going underground under that cement. Strange thing is that she is opening and closing the hole with the dirt back and forth. If I take a shovel and open the hole, in a little bit I will find the entrance covered with dirt. So I left it along. Today she spent a day bringing hay and grass in her mouth into that long underground hole. Is she making a nest? I haven't noticed any hair pulling so far. Are babies going to survive in that tunnel if she constantly covering the entrance with dirt? How should we use AC unit? it makes a lot of noise. We haven't been using it for the last week as it was cool.

I know it is cooler underground. But otherwise that spot is under direct sunlight. Forecast shows 85F for the next 10 days. I will try to provide shade in that area making a canopy.

The main question is: should I keep taking her to thehutch for a night? We are trying to modify the hutch so they can get in and out without being picked up. The fence is also needed around the hutch, this is a question of time.

Should I let her have babies in that underground hole? How to use AC then? Should I restrict the male from that area? Does mama rabbit need privacy? Is there any way to say how soon the babies are coming? I am desperate. I don't want to harm my dear Thumperina, she is so smart. And I don't want her children to die. Thanks God, semester at the college is over so I can contribute more time to this problem.

Please help me with advise!

I would leave well enough alone, for now. She found a place to have them. My personal opinion is that she was too young to be bred, but it sounds like you didn't do anything to keep them apart. Unless you want a growing population you need to either keep them apart or get the male neutered. That would be cheaper than get the female spayed.

LakeCondo wrote:
Though spaying costs more, it increases life expectancy while neutering a male may not.
Thank you. I agree we were notvery wellaware and prepared for everything. People we got them from had the first litter when their rabbits were about 8 months old and they always stayed together.

We did want them to have at least one litter. Didn't think it was going tohappen that fast though.

What did you mean saying about "life expectancy"?

Thumperina wrote:
LakeCondo wrote:
Though spaying costs more, it increases life expectancy while neutering a male may not.
Thank you. I agree we were notvery wellaware and prepared for everything. People we got them from had the first litter when their rabbits were about 8 months old and they always stayed together.

We did want them to have at least one litter. Didn't think it was going tohappen that fast though.

Does unfortunately do get cancer of the reproduction organs. More than males. Spaying a doe will possibly extend their lives. Males being neutered, well, just really good to get rid of marking and hormonal agression. Will not really extend their lives as much as spaying a doe will do.

If you are planning on just experiencing one litter, I would then after weaning the babies have the female spayed. That will stop more pregnancies and also give your doe a possible longer healthier life.

K:)

majorv wrote:
I would leave well enough alone, for now. She found a place to have them. My personal opinion is that she was too young to be bred, but it sounds like you didn't do anything to keep them apart. Unless you want a growing population you need to either keep them apart or get the male neutered. That would be cheaper than get the female spayed.

Thank you. Should I leave her out for a night then? I am afraid of predators (have never seen anybody though, our house is close to the gas station and the main street, so this area is not very secluded).

Last night I put the female to thehutch and gave her lots of hay and the box... shedid not do anything with the box. Do theyalways give birth at night or early morning? Ihope she hasn't had her babies yet in that tunnel.How oftenbabiesneed to be fed?

The male spent a night separetely, inside the house.

Yes, we will need to fix one of them. Forright now my concern are thepregnancy and the babies.

ZRabbits wrote:
Thumperina wrote:
LakeCondo wrote:

Does unfortunately do get cancer of the reproduction organs. More than males. Spaying a doe will possibly extend their lives. Males being neutered, well, just really good to get rid of marking and hormonal agression. Will not really extend their lives as much as spaying a doe will do.

If you are planning on just experiencing one litter, I would then after weaning the babies have the female spayed. That will stop more pregnancies and also give your doe a possible longer healthier life.

Thanks! in general, is parenthood good for them? I guess it makes no difference for the male, but I thought the female benefit from a few litters. So, they get cancer IF they have babies,but donot have it whenthey are spayed?I know that pregnancy is good for
a woman. Are rabbits different?

Thumperina wrote:
ZRabbits wrote:
Thumperina wrote:
LakeCondo wrote:

Thanks! in general, is parenthood good for them? I guess it makes no difference for the male, but I thought the female benefit from a few litters. So, they get cancer IF they have babies,but donot have it whenthey are spayed?
Generally parenthood does give does a sense of accomplishment and will mellow them.Some will get aggressive when not pregnant. That's when spaying can help. Removes the hormones that surge. My rule of thumb after reading everything under the sun and also thinking of future plans for my own doe, is if not breeding you should spay. Even after breeding my own doe, I'm thinking of spaying once she retires.

I see. I found contradictory info about mating rabbits from the same litter. Some sources say it is OK and even good as they get along better, others - it should never be done. So what is the truth?

I have to add that both my rabbits are mellow, not aggressive at all.

Thumperina wrote:
I see. I found contradictory info about mating rabbits from the same litter. Some sources say it is OK and even good as they get along better, others - it should never be done. So what is the truth?

When mating brothers and sisters, the bad traits of the bunny usually comes out. IE: bad teeth, bad forming fur on socks, bad crown, pinched hindquarters. Something that you don't want to continue in your rabbitry. That's why getting two unrelated is more proferrable.

If you are just breeding for pets, as long as their is no underlying problems, and your bunnies are mellow, I don't see the problem. Just make sure if any breeders or show people are interested in your bunnies to be up front and honest and show them what you did. But sounds like they will be perfect for pets. Non-aggressive is definitely a good trait to pass on.

majorv wrote:
I would leave well enough alone, for now. She found a place to have them
There are many reasons why that spot would be awful: no decent shade and very hot, airconditioning will need to work with noise and vibration, exposure to predators, etc.

If she is forced to stay in a different spot when it's time (which should be also comfortable -- lots of hay, protection), will she givebirth all right?

She's young and a first time mom, so you run the risk of losing the litter if she's stressed out too much. If she hasn't had them yet then you can try to move her to the hutch and give her hay to make a nest. Just have to see.

Recommended breeding age is 6 months. You said yours are 5 months so I would think just a months difference isn't too large. From everything I have read even older mothers can be bad mothers, its all up to the rabbit.

Have to agree, first time mom's do have a stressful time. It's "Party Time" if one successfully raises and weans her first litter. One month shy of the recommended breeding mark, won't hurt. I would also move her to the comfortable spot. Put hay in it and a nest box. Being it's her first time, hoping she makes a nest. Don't be upset if it doesn't work out. Many people have been through this and I am nervous as well at what Luna will do her first time.

Wishing you luck. Just watch her and hope she is one of the those "easy" first time mom's. But don't beat yourself up if she fails. It's a part of life in rabbit breeding. That's why you will see ads with "Proven" doe. Means she made it through that first time.

Keep us posted.

Thanks everybody for being here and talking to me! It helps.

Oh, I don't know how to force them into the cooler place. In the past I was just forcing them from under the deck, catching them and taking to the basement. now, I don't want to force but it's hot out there. I opened the garage door a bit, turned on the fan in garage but they are not coming --just laying under the deck breathing hard. They for some reasons don't drink water or drink very little. But they eat lots of grass. Almost all the water remains in container. I am using regular tap water.

Also they don't really eat Timothy hay I bought in the store. Should I try alfalfa?

Thumperina wrote:
Thanks everybody for being here and talking to me! It helps.

Oh, I don't know how to force them into the cooler place. In the past I was just forcing them from under the deck, catching them and taking to the basement. now, I don't want to force but it's hot out there. I opened the garage door a bit, turned on the fan in garage but they are not coming --just laying under the deck breathing hard. They for some reasons don't drink water or drink very little. But they eat lots of grass. Almost all the water remains in container. I am using regular tap water.

Also they don't really eat Timothy hay I bought in the store. Should I try alfalfa?

The reason less water consumption is they are getting the water through eating the grass. I find my boys will drink less if more greens are given. If you want them to drink more water, have you tried a little apple cider vinegar in your water. A few drops does change the taste. And all my bunnies love it.

The alfalfa is sweeter than timothy. Maybe they will eat it. It will definitely benefit your pregnant doe. Alfalfa should be given to help keep weight and also help her with lactating.

melbaby80 wrote:
Recommended breeding age is 6 months. You said yours are 5 months so I would think just a months difference isn't too large. From everything I have read even older mothers can be bad mothers, its all up to the rabbit.
You know, this rabbithas proven to be the smart one. Will bevery sad to lose the litter because of lack of organization from our side (didn't provide a good spot where she would feel safe). People who made us a hutch keep their rabbits outside in the cage all the time -- we chose to havethem differently, this is why we are having problems with that hutch.

melbaby80 wrote:

Generally, recommended breeding age is 6 months. Her rabbit is 5 months now, so she was 4 months old when bred.

I sold a trio of rabbits to a teen ager and asked her to not breed the youngest one yet - who was 4 months. She agreed, but evidently didn't follow my advice. She was calling me a month later telling me that the young doe had 2 babies, both dead. I'm certainly not saying that always happens, but moms that young are basically like teenagers having babies. I hope everything works out for yours.

ZRabbits wrote:
Thumperina wrote:

When mating brothers and sisters, the bad traits of the bunny usually comes out.  IE:  bad teeth, bad forming fur on socks, bad crown, pinched hindquarters.  Something that you don't want to continue in your rabbitry.  That's why getting two unrelated is more proferrable.

If you are just breeding for pets, as long as their is no underlying problems, and your bunnies are mellow, I don't see the problem.  Just make sure if any breeders or show people are interested in your bunnies to be up front and honest and show them what you did.   But sounds like they will be perfect for pets.   Non-aggressive is definitely a good trait to pass on.

There are varying opinions about breeding siblings. Line breeding is common (breeding father to daughter or mother to son). Then you bring in an unrelated rabbit to breed to their offspring. We avoid breeding full siblings, but we breed for show rather than pet.

No nesting behavior today at all, except for some hair pulled out under the deck to the cement. But it was hot all day, even hotter tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back