Please help! (bunny fight)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chay

Reaction score
Toby and Bally fought this morning- we separated them as soon as we saw (we were in the same room) but not before Toby had taken an inch-sized bite up the side of Bally's ear. It's currently bleeding and Bally is breathing pretty heavily- what do we do? We don't have another cage, but should Toby just go into a box?

Can I use neosporin at first? Is this a vet-right-now emergency? We're getting ready to drive our rescue rabbit Stella to West Lafayette to her new mommy...but of course we'll put that on hold.

What does the bite look like?

If the ear is torn in a manner that could use stitches, I'd go to a vet, but otherwise it will heal fine on its own.

I use Betadine on all my guys' nicks and bites. Cleaning it with warm water and adding Neosporin (but not the kind with pain relief) will work if that's all you have.

Why did they fight? Do they live in a small cage? Can one just stay in the room free run while the other stays in the cage?

sas :clover:

PS: Re-reading it, it sounds like they're both males? If they are, there's bound to be serious fighting, at least until they're neutered. They're going to have to stay separated. And if you think one is a male and one is a female, might be an idea to take another look.

And just to clarify my above answer, if there are two flaps of skin not making contact, stitches will be the only way to have it heal properly, and that needs to be done within a few hours.

It will still heal without the stitches, but it will heal torn.

IMG_0275.jpg

That's the best picture I could manage ): Does it look like he'll need stitches? We also found a small cut on his shoulder and SOMETHING is bleeding on his paw, and there's a small nick on the skin around Toby's penis.

They are both males but this is the first time we have ever REALLY seen them fight...we're going to get a second cage ASAP (today).

Looking at the picture of the ear, there wouldn't be anything to stitch together there. I'd be more concerned with an injury to his penis though.

I agree with the above. One of our Sr. Mods had a bunny who required reconstructive surgery to his genitals following a fight.

If it stops bleeding, there's no reason to worry about the ear. Let it clot then do a daily routine of betadine wash followed by neosporin application.

I looked again at Toby and what wound is there seems to be very small- about the size of the tip of a pen? And is on the skin between his anus and penis- more in the fur.

However, once Bally calmed down and let us hold him, we also found a pretty good-sized bite (dime-sized) on his back, completely hidden by his long fur. We're probably going to have to take him into the vet for this one, and we're not looking forward to it ):

I wouldn't worry, then. If the wound on his back is bad, it may need attention, but honestly unless it's still bleeding I'd just do daily betadine followed by neosporin.

I agree. I've delt with my share of bunny fights and have never had to take them to the vet. Their skin is just so thin and really tears easily.
Personally, I'd be inclined to keep it clean and use neosporin, but of course use your judgment if you feel like it's more than you're comfortable dealing with, and keep an eye on its healing.

Okay, I'll try that, then. Any ideas for how to make sure they don't lick the neosporin off? We can probably wrap the ear, but not the one on his back. /:

You don't have to worry about them licking it off, as long as it's the neosporin w/o pain meds in it. If you let it sit on the wound for maybe 15 min before you turn him loose to clean it off, it should do its job.

Thanks for the help everyone; we did take them into the vet today because it was time for them to get their first exams anyway. I appreciate how helpful everyone here is; it really makes me think that if I ever have a real emergency, a ton of knowledge and experience isn't too far away :)

This thread can be deleted now, if the mods here do that!

Just a additional comment :

Many times after 2 rabbits fight it is next to impossible to find the small bite wounds onthe rabbits if they are small. Even small bite wounds, however, can become infected if left untreated.

Keep cheking both rabbit for several days after the fight ; inevitably scabs will begon to form which the owner will be able to feel and those areas can then be cleansed with diluted betadine.

Back