Please be nice. Nutrition question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jap08m

Reaction score
Reddit and Demitri are only 4 months old. I've just put them into the same cage and they are getting along well. Since I've gotten them I've given them all the pellets they want until they're 6 months old. They split a bundle of parsley every day between them. They also get kale every couple of days as well as all the hay they want as well. Is there anything else I should be adding to their diets. They don't get carrots very often and I don't give them any fruit. Any suggestions?

I free feed Derby pellets. Have done it with all our bunnies. They basically eat what they want and leave the rest. Tends to prevent them from becoming piggy and eating until it is all gone. Kale is very high in calcium and should only be given as a treat, same with carrots. Rabbits have a tendency toward bladder sludge which is caused by too much calcium in their diets. That is why alfalfa pellets are usually only given until they are 6 months and weaned off to timothy pellets. Same with the hay, my vet suggests timothy, oat or grass hay from the start. She has seen alot of rabbits with bladder sludge, according to her. There is a long list in the forum library of veggies that are safe to feed rabbits.You may want to print it and tuck it in your purse for reference when shopping. Just a few come to mind- arugula, carrots and carrot tops, chard, ciantro, parsley, clover, dandelions ( these are usually in the exotic veggie section ) endive lettuce ( the heavy leaf stuff ) kale- as I said in small amounts, spinach- same thing as it is high in calcium, lettuce - romaine, red and green, spring or herbal mixes ( not the type with extra spinach ), treats of fruit such as bananas, strawberries, raspberries ( they can also have the leaves from these - if the plant is insectaside free ) apple - not the seeds!!, slices of peaches or pears ( not seeds or pits ) grapes must be mashed or sliced so they don't get them stuck in their wee throats. That approximately it. As I said find the list and print it. I have one in my purse.

Hello! It's great to hear they are getting along so well. Two bonded rabbits are so loving to each other and take such good care of each other.
Since they are young rabbits, they should be eating alfalfa hay. At 6 months, that should gradually be switched over to a lower-Calcium hay like Timothy, Orchard grass, Meadow grass, or a blend of these. Kale is very high in Calcium and a better choice for every day is a green-leaf lettuce like green leaf, red leaf, chickory, arulgula, etc. Their parsley should be a smaller amount of their diet, but is fine to be given as part of their daily salad. Celery tops and carrot tops are great for every day as well. Carrots need to be limited due to Vitamin A toxicity in rabbits. So if you get the shredded carrots, maybe a tablespoon a day between them is OK, but it's best to keep it to a minimum. Pellets should only be fed in small amounts as most of their diet (80%) should come from their hay. A fortified pellet, such as Oxbow, needs to contain at least 22% crude fiber.
The fact that you don't give them any fruit whatsoever is great. I have heard that it actually changes the composition in their gut.
I am not a vet, but I have had rabbits starting about 25 years ago, and 3 of my 4 are over the age of 9. It sounds like you are doing a great job! If you go to the House Rabbit Society website (www.Rabbit.org) there is a lot more information on diet.
Have a great day!

They're both of the same gender, right, so there's no chance of pregnancy?

That seems like quite a lot of veggies at this age. How much of their unlimited alfalfa pellets do they eat daily? The more they're growing right now, the more pellets they should be getting. The current thinking is for more pellets than had been the case a decade or more ago. Per Rabbit Nutrition, too many medical problems were the result of little or no pellets.

Latest posts

Back