Play time

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

addy

Reaction score
I have a 1 year old free roaming rabbit. How much time should I be spending with her daily whether it be me at home lounging with her in my apartment or actively playing with her?

It is recommended to let them have at least as hour to run around and play, but more is obviously better! Bunnies don’t often “play” as such, especially when they get older, but you can clicker train them, and just lounging and cuddling will be nice for her too :) and if you are out for a long while you can put pellets or veg in a puzzle toy to get her mind working and encourage her to work for her food and keep busy.

I am not sure if I am spending enough time with her every day. I am at home just to sleep. How could I tell if she is bored? She is free roaming and I give her a lot of toys and hide veggies for her to look for lol. I love how she follows me!

Last edited:
Being "with her" and "playing" are two different things. Some rabbits don't seem to need much actual "play" or one-on-one interaction. (Though your rabbit sounds like a sweetie following you!)

Since she is free roam, exercise time isn't really an issue. For rabbits that spend most of their time in a cage, 3 hours is usually a minimum because they seldom exercise on our schedule. That means that if bunny isn't in the mood to exercise during the hour his cage door is open, he'll end up with zero exercise. Hence the suggestion for 3 hours. (All of which is irrelevant in your case :))

The nice thing about rabbits is that you are spending "together time" if you are simply in proximity of bunny. For example, as I'm typing this, I'm just a few feet away from my bunny who is lounging in his open cage. In his eyes, we are hanging out together (since we're close [proximity] to each other). So we are spending together time even if it isn't face to face interaction.

If you're concerned about her while you are away, Popsicles has some good suggestions for activities. You can also set up cardboard boxes with doors cutout for exploring and climbing. Changing toys and activities regularly can keep that interest level up.

You could also spend more time on the floor when you are home (whether reading, or on computer, or watching tv). That way she'll have more opportunity to be close with you even if you aren't giving her your full attention.

Blue eyes always articulates everything so well :D couldn’t agree more haha

Thanks for the input.

In the morning and before bed I make sure there's enough hay/water and feed some veggies. I might spend a few mins playing tag if she's in the mood.

I leave toys and toilet paper rolls stuffed with veggies before heading to work.

Because of my work schedule I basically go home to sleep. except for weekends I am in for at least half a day. Am I neglecting her?

I would totally have a second rabbit but I don't know if my place even allows for rabbits in the first place and I am in a small studio. :(

I feel like a bad owner.

Latest posts

Back