Play pen set up and cardboard house... Will he jump out?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mubunny

Reaction score
So I have a playpen that is about three feet high and have built my bun a little cardboard house that is about half of that. He just loves it and has been remodeling but now I have a big fear that he might jump on it and try and jump out of the cage. Should I get him a box so high he can't jump on it?

My dear, you will be very surprised by the capacity of a bunny to jump.
They can clear 3 feet easily, given the motivation :D

I think that your best bet is to leave him with the little house for now.. If you were to get a bigger box, I think Winston would simply think, "ooh, I can hop THAT!" and do so.
Little box will keep him thinking that it's too far to go.

By the way, PICTURES of the new baby are needed ASAP!
Welcome Home, Winston!:D

:bunnydance::wave::pink iris::bunnydance::wave::pink iris::bunnydance:

I've been jumping at every little sound I hear out of his room. I sneak in there just to see him staring at me in mid bite. I think he thinks the window I made for him should have been a door.
I will keep a close eye on him, he seems so smart and cautious I don't think he will do it. Or so I hope.

The first night we had Gus, I think I got up 3 times to check on him. It's a bit like having a new baby in the house. ;)

I'd probably just put his cardboard house right in the middle of the pen, so that if he does hop up on it, it'll be harder to hop over the fence.But I think the only way you'll be able to know for sure he can't jump out is if you put a top on his pen.Still lots of buns live in pens and don't jump out.

Hope that helps!

Rue

I think it boils down to you either have a jumper or you don't. If you have a jumper, then he'll get out whether you have the house or not. I've only had one jumper and I had to put some flexible garden fencing over the top of the pen.

I've been watching him and the most he has done is put his paws on top of it. He seems to be more interested in playing or hiding in it then jumping on it.
I'm being a bit of an overbearing mommy I think.

It really depends on the bunny. Mine can be contained with a 14" high fence - he is just not a jumper and it doesn't occur to him to try to jump out. Some bunnies will easily escape from a 3' pen. It totally depends.

slavetoabunny wrote:
I think it boils down to you either have a jumper or you don't.
Bebe can jump overthe 4 foot pen.

Pebbles won't jump out of her cage base (the bottom part which is6 inches, so I don't need to cover it with the top.

Latest posts

Back