planting grass for the buns and piggies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luvmyzoocrew

Reaction score
Ok so i know that the rabbits and piggies can eat grass, i would feel much more safer planting it myself then letting them out on a patch of grass to eat the lawn. Not that we use anything on the lawn but we are around farming area and i dont know what others use on thier crops and what is getting washed onto my grass during our rains and such, and the fact that i am OVERLY paranoid.

Where do you get grass seed like oat grass, the stuff that they sell in containers in petsmart and such? Is it just regular lawn seeds, or should i use special grass seed?

You can get wheatgrass seed at natural food stores--it's a real animal favorite. You can just buy plain grass seed at the hardware store too. That's a good idea (especially considering the raccoon parasite thread recently!)!!!

I just so happened to of gotten some of the pet grass from petsmart and I decided since it would be cheaper and more logical to grow some of my own. I went to target nursery and found a few packets of what they call "cat grass" which is wheatgrass and is the same type they use at petsmart and its alot cheaper to do it this way :)

You can also grow other rabbit friendly herbs and yummy treats too if you so do wish :) This way you know where your rabbit's munchies come from and you know its safe for them. Good luck ^_^

wheatgrass is even cheaper by the pound at whole foods

Like said cat grass is wheat grass and you can buy the seeds for it. Last year for the rabbit and guinea pigs we grew timothy grass, wheat grass, oat grass, orchard grass, mint, parsley, barley, "tuff grass", lawn grass, coriander/cilantro, round carrots, chick weed, milk thistle, dandelion leaves, romaine lettuce, agrimony, yarrow, nettles and kale - was really easy actually, just get a seed tray put in damp soil, put in grass seed then a very thin layer of soil over the top and water, cover in cling film put outside in the morning sun and in the shade in the afternoon and it should grow quite well, fertilize with rabbit and guinea pig poop aswell!

Cool my sister works at Whole foods,lol, and i can get a discount from her,lol. I have grown in a window box cilantro, basil and parsley, but will try my hand at grass growing this summer for my guys.

Latest posts

Back