plans for ms. bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimboshippos

Reaction score
looks like for easter my husband is going to get me a rabbit. yes i know its typical that someone would get a rabbit on easter(or around) but that gives us time to get everything for her. I got those 14X14'' grids today, i have like 20 and a million lil connectors. Im curious, how do you make a door?? im having a hard time figurin that out.

and i was curious whatall i should get to get the cage ready ETC

Congrats! I don't think it's bad getting a bunny for Easter as long as you know what your getting into, have done your research on rabbits and plan ahead. It's when people get them on the spur of the moment and don't know how to care for them that bunny lovers hate :)

i bought a book a year and ahalf ago when i decided i wanted one, then we got married, moved and ran outta money for a lil while. but im constantly looking up stuff like whats poisonous, whats good roughage, etc. we raised hamsters a while back and really enjoyed it and i got my hubby sold by telling him theyre like big nicer and smarter hamsters, hah. so ive done a lot of research and i just want to get everything for her before hand.

You will need more of the grids. 20 would make you a 2*3 pen that is 2 high, but no top or levels. I would get at least 1 more box, more if you want to make a pen or something. You do have time to play with them and see what design you might like. Use zip ties for the door. Lots of people don't use the connectors and just use zip ties to hold the whole thing together. What you use to hold the door closed is up to you, I have short bungee cords, carabiner clips and binder clips to hold various doors together. Chloroplast is good for the bottom of the cage.

I don't really like water bottles and prefer to use bowls. I have also found that bowls that attach to the side of the cage can't be tipped over. If you want to use a bottle, that is your choice, I just don't really like them all that much.

You should buy some toys, but I would not spend too much until you know what the rabbit likes. Cat ball with bells are popular, as are baby toys, wooden blocks, cardboard boxes, toilet paper rolls, phone books and generally things that can be thrown or destroyed. I would buy a couple different things to start with and more when you know what the bun likes.

You can buy litter for the litter box now. Lots of people use wood pellets and wood stove pellets are available now. Horse stall pellets are also a good option. Yesterday's news is also popular and comes in smaller bags fro you to try. There is also wood pellets made for cats that might come in smaller bags so you don't have to buy 40 pounds and find you don't like it.

I would not buy food until you get the rabbit. Ideally, you should use the same food as the breeder/shelter to avoid upsetting the stomach. Some will give you a sample or you can buy a small bag. If you want to switch to something else, you can do that, but do it slowly. Pellets don't keep for long, so you will want to get it as close to when you get the bunny as you can. Hay should also be bought closer to when you get her. For now, I would look at store and online to find the best food at the best price.

I like to use blankets in the cage and I don't use shavings other other similar bedding.
Also look for rabbit savvy vets in your area. Compare some prices like an exam and spay/neuter as well as the care given and how good they are with rabbits. You can always find a different vet if one doesn't work out, but it is good to know your options.

The best thing to do is lots of research. You want to be prepared with the supplies but also with knowledge. Reading good rabbit books and websites and great.

i like cozy den horse stall pellets, they fluff when urinated on and since i have horses, i have those pellets, i may consider that for litter box.

can you freeze pellets???? weird question i know, but i freeze a lot of things (dogs meals, humans meals, ETC) and if i had extra pellets i didnt want to go bad could i possibly freeze them? i dont know if anyone has tried..

Definitely get yourself some more NIC grids. Having a top makes the NIC cage that much sturdier and prevents any possible escapes. Like this one: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTvC0jyAS38&feature=related]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTvC0jyAS38&feature=related[/ame]:p

What else you'll need:

-Litter box (a basic rectangular cat litter box seems to work best) and litter (lots of rabbit people like the wood pellets because they eliminate odour well, are very cheap, and are easy to use)
-Food dish(es) (either the stoneware crocks or the kind that attaches to the side of the cage seem to work best as bunnies seem to like to toss their dishes around) As, an aside, I bought Gus's food dishes at a thrift shop for $1 each, instead of $6-8 at the pet shop.
-Water bottle (if you don't want to use a water dish)
-Hay rack or hay basket (I buy cheap wicker baskets at the thrift shop for 10 cents each, that way he can eat the basket AND the hay!)
-Fleece baby blankets or grass mats or indoor/outdoor carpet to cover the floor of the NIC cage
-Soft brush and/or flea comb for when bunny starts moulting!
-Toys!
-Optional: harness and leash, outdoor playpen/run, cardboard bunny castle, pet bed.

Bunnies DON'T need:

Salt or mineral licks
Yogurt treats
Wood shavings
Vitamin drops for their water
Pellets with seeds and other stuff in them

I recommend also putting togethera bunny emergency/first aid kit:

-canned pumpkin (with no additives) or unsweetened fruit/vegetable baby food (pumpkin is preferred because it's high in fibre)
-Oxbow's Critical Care (or similar product)
-unsweetened liquid or powdered Pedialyte
-several syringes of varying sizes (1cc, 3cc, 10cc)
-Ovol simethicone drops (or similar product)
-Prozyme or chewable papaya enzyme tablets (with bromelain) or pineapple juice (pineapple contains bromelain which is believed to help break down blockages)
-Bene-Bac (or similar product) or powdered acidophilusor children's chewable acidophilus tablets
-plastic thermometer (preferably digital)
-KY jelly (or similar product) for the thermometer.
-styptic pencil, styptic powder or corn starch
-pet carrier
-eye wash or saline solution and eye dropper
-Bag Balm (or similar product)
-sterile gauze, cotton squares and vet wrap
-scissors
-tweezers
-Betadine disinfectant (or similar product)
-Polysporin antibiotic ointment (or similar product)
-ice pack
-heating pad or rice sock
-soft towel (for making a "bunny burrito")
-stethoscope for listening to stomach sounds (optional)
-otoscope for looking in ears, mouth, etc. (optional)

Hope that helps!

Rue

I would start looking around for a breeder in your area. You'll have a lot less problems with a rabbit from a breeder than at a pet store, and breeders' bunnies are normally more tame cause their handled a lot more

the ARBA site didnt list any dutch breeders around me and i dont want to go to the shelter yet cause i may come home with one and my hubby really wants to get it for me when he comes home :-D he wants to pick her out with me.

I would call a couple anyways...I did that and they might know ppl that are not on ARBA...I guess it is worth a try

Yes, you can freeze pellets. Those horse stall litter pellets are also very good. I have a dutch I love as well, and the sweetest bunny ever is at our shelter right now, a dutch mix.

You could always look on petfinder at buns then when he gets back and your ready you can start looking at them.

Have you thought maybe about a bonded pair?

Latest posts

Back