Places to go by yourself

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Myia09

Reaction score
So, I thought this would be interesting. Down here in AZ, I don't have many close friends. My best friend and I had a falling out (Her exboyfriend is my boyfriends best friend..drama happend) and my other friend is constantly out of state on her band's tour.

James is finally working again, which is great, but now I am finding that I spending more time alone without anyone to really go out with. I used to be really prideful and would never go somewhere by meself.

Well, first I went to Denny's by myself to grab a shake. I felt stupid at first, but really it was no big deal. I did the same to go grab a slize of pizza.

But what places are okay to be alone? For instance, going to the movies? Some people think that is a "Sad" thing to do.

What about going to a concert? To a club?

I think things like having coffee and reading a book are a "alone" given, but what would you personally do?

I like to go shopping alone. I know a few people who won't go by themselves but I prefer it that way. Then I can look at what ever I want for as long as I want and then I can leave when I want.

I usually end up sitting in my car if I go by myself to grab a bite to eat (fast food) so I can listen to my radio (car has satellite radio, house doesn't)

I'm not so sure I would go to a movie by myself. I normally wait for movies to come out on video anyway.

I would go to a local bar by myself so long as it was a place that I was familiar with otherwise I don't think it's such a good idea.

I also go shopping alone..I didn't even think of that. I hate going shopping with other people because you can't ever seem to do anything.

I really enjoy reading, so I go places and take my book with me...like I will go to this nice nature-y area on my school's campus and sit on a bench and read. Sometimes I go out to eat by myself too, I find it relaxing. I also like to go to busy places and people-watch (kinda stalkerish, I know, but its entertaining some of the weird things you'll see) and I also enjoy taking my dog to the park. Sometimes I take one of my snakes to a naturey place on campus so they can get some fresh air. I did that with my bunnies too, they really enjoyed it. People like to come up and meet the animals when I do that and I really enjoy talking to people about them. A lot of people love learning about the snakes. I also enjoy visiting the local Natural Science Museum, and I like to go to book stores and other stores just to check things out.

I went to the movies alone one time, it was actually quite nice because I didn't have my friends trying to discuss parts of the movie with me while it was still on.

I don't think I'd ever go to a club or a bar alone, just because I'd be too nervous...those are not places I think are safe enough to go to alone...

I spent a lot of time alone last year because I was new to town as a freshman in college, so I have my "alone time places" I like to visit. :p

I don't spend that much time by myself, but when I do I really enjoy it.

I love to go shopping alone. It's just so relaxing and lovely. Listen to my favourite music and I'm happy :).
I also love to grab a bite to eat alone sometimes. Take a good book, sit outside in the sun in a cafe or something, and have a nice meal while relaxing.

I don't think I could ever go to a club etc. alone because it's just too much fun with other people, but I guess if you don't have many friends that are free/near you, then going to a club might be a great way to meet people?

It's strange that most people don't like the idea of going to a cinema alone (myself included), but you don't talk throughout it do you? You listen and watch intently for 2 hours. So really, if you are comfortable with it, then totally go alone! As long as you are comfortable and confident, noone will be there pointing and judging, because noone else cares!

Do you have dogs? I love to take a dog for a walk alone around a gorgeous, quiet park or woods, just enjoying the calm and the quiet.

What about gyming? Gyming alone can be great. Or swimming or some kind of class like spinning or aerobics.

Jen

Right? What is wrong with going to the movies by yourself! lol. Esp I like to go to indie films that James hates and he always bugs me to go by myself.

I don't have any dogs :( I wish I did though, I would take them everywhere when it wasn't 110 out, lol. But with the bunnies, my place is too small for a dog.

I have been thinking of joining a gym, but honestly I odn't know how I can afford it..but I really do want to get in shape. ASU (Our university) offers pilates classes so I was alos thinking of taking one of those? I think it might be fun.

There is nothing wrong with going to the movies alone!

I moved to the city a few years ago, alone... I was not at all used to being alone. Now I love it!

Like you said, at first you feel a little silly chillin by yourself but once you do it a few times you will get used to it and probably really enjoy it!

I like to bring a magazine or the news paper to a local cafe or pub and just relax in the AC. I don't know about where you are, but around her every place has WiFi, if you have a lap top you can always tote that somewhere to hang out.

Palates is awesome! That is a great idea!

Question?? Are you wanting to make new friends or just enjoy being alone or a little of both???

I'm also running low on the friend front. Pretty much all my friends have moved away or have GF/BF/wives/husbands/jobs so I never see them anymore.

But I don't mind doing stuff on my own. I like going swimming by myself, shopping, going to the park and reading, going to the dog park, bike rides, volunteering. I also joined some local clubs(aquarium & reptile) and met a bunch of nice people.

I personally don't go to many movies but lots of my friends like going to the movies alone. I dont' think its weird or "sad". Your watching a movie in a dark room, sounds like a alone type activity to me :p

I've also gone to the bar alone for a drink. It wasn't a club but a bar/pub. It was fine, there was even other people sitting alone. Nobody cared. I dont' think i'd go to a club alone though. Too many creepy guys. When you go to clubs you definitely need the "buddy system",lol.

i go to the movies alone, nice me time, i just pretend like i am meeting someone inside. lol..fake a phone call or something lol

I will go pretty much anywhere alone. Most of my close friends live somewhere else, and I'd rather be happy by myself than pretend to have a good time with someone I don't really want to spend time with.

I like to read, so I'll take a magazine with me if I go to a restaurant alone. As for going to a movie alone, why would anyone think that was "sad"? What is sad is sitting at home, depressed because no one wants to go to that particular movie with you. My SIL is like that, she whines all the time because she has no one to go out to eat with or go to movies with. She lets the opinions of others rule her life, and she's miserable because of it. (But she'd rather be miserable than let a complete stranger, who she'll never see again, see her eat dinner alone. Forget that!)

I have gone to a few concerts alone. I probably wouldn't go to a club alone. Partly for safety reasons, but also because I don't like going to clubs, anyway. LOL.

Ohhh neat thread. I do these things by myself:

1. Dancing - ceroc & latin + you meet lots of new friends
2. Shopping
3. Library
4. Cafe - one with free boardband so I can take my laptop or one with newspapers so I can read!
5. Drive around the hills or out of town
6. Walk/Run on the beach, throught he forest or up on the hills

I have done these by myself too - but not often:

7. Movie (away on business)
8. Restaurant (away on business)
9. Museum
10. Art Gallery

Lol it seems as if you're not "alone" in being "alone." I to am in a similar situation where I find myself alone alot.

I always go to the movies by myself. I love the movies and I hate missing them because I have no one to go with. I usually have no problems but one time I decided to go to prince of Persia on opening night. It was a little awkward when I had to sit between two guys, who where with their friends, and I was very clearly alone! But eventually as the movie plays you forget all that stuff.

I've been swimming by myself, which can be very peaceful. I've gone to restaurants (usually with a good book) I've gone to parks, malls, I even went to Germany once by myself.

Usually I'm of the mind that if I want to do something I wont restrict myself because no one is available to come with me. You miss out on to much and I ended up in a very depressed state a few years ago because of it. I decided I would never do that to myself again!

Wow so many great replies! lol.

Well, I would like to make new friends by I am extremley socially akward. But I would just like to get out..friends or not!

That is exactly what I thought Beth too..I don't want to be ruled my insecurites to sit at home and do nothing.

Amalie, you reminded me that we do have a free art musuem I can go to :)

I guess one of the biggest problems is that you get despressed not doing anything..but when you go do them sometimes it still makes you feel a tad sad! That sounds silly, esp since I had a good time by myself

I actually prefer to do a lot of things outside of the home by myself. It's like shopping - can't get a darn thing done if other people are there with their own agendas and opinions. I shop alone and I roam a lot of places by myself. Sometimes I just dedicate an afternoon to walking around to see where my body decides it wants to go, and I'll go there.

I didn't ever used to watch movies alone until my husband started to go on a lot of business trips and I hated waiting to see movies that I've been anticipating so I just went on my own. It's actually nice because on big release days you can sit anywhere! It's hard to find 2 open seats next to each other but you can always find 1 lonely empty seat!

The beach and the library are also places I like to go alone.

The only thing that is sort of sad to do alone is eat out. I don't like to go to my "regular spots" alone because people will recognize me and ask why I'm alone, blah blah blah. I don't like to explain myself. I don't feel that I need to. I don't like being singled out like that either. So usually I take the opportunity when I'm by myself to try new places. I've found quite a few nice new spots this way. My husband and I used to end up eating at the same old places over and over until I started venturing out more on my own and recommending places for us to revisit together.

I don't do all that much alone. The town a few miles from me is fairly small and I feel awkard if I bump into people from school who are with friends and I am by myself. I would never eat alone or go to the cinema by myself but I think it is a teen thing, I'll probably grow out of that after awhile :)One of the things I really do like to do alone though is shopping for pet supplies, my friend's think it is funny when I go buying fleece blankets for the guinea pig's cage and toys for all the animals. It gets annoying and I feel too embarassed to buy a lot of stuff for the animals when they are with me lol!

I like doing the following things alone:

- Going to the book store for hours on end
- Browsing Value Village or Goodwill/Thrift Shop
- Kayaking
- Rollerblading (Bowie is in my ears, so I don't know if that counts as totally alone :D)
- Visiting the animals at the humane society, and taking the dogs on walks by myself.
- Art galleries
- New restaurants (then, I make notes on the takeout pamphlet, or in a little note book. I think it might make the wait staff a bit nervous, like I'm some big critic :D... I just rate my favourite dishes on a scale of 1-10, then I have somewhere nice to take Nate where I can guarantee the menu item is good or not :D)
- brushing my teeth (you'd be surprised :p)

I would really like to go to the bar alone, and just dance my feet off, but I'm a bit scared about it... silly, I know.

Karaoke alone is fun sometimes.
That way, when my voice cracks, no one knows me anyway :D

I like going around in the car, listening to the CBC alone on Saturday mornings, while I go to the garage sales :D

Sometimes, riding the bus listening to music is fun to do... just ride about and see the city, and do some people-watching.

I would like to start attending belly-dancing classes by myself :)

I don't go out... I'm pretty much a hermit. I do intend on doing one thing though and that is to go walk by the lake. I'd probably take a bunny with me as well. Once I can ride my bicycle properly, I can get a nifty little basket to bring the bunny in as well :biggrin: Maybe you can bring a bunner with you as well? I think nature is nice to enjoy alone. I want to get some bird watching guides and things. Do you like that sort of thing?

I also prefer shopping alone. Sometimes when I shop, I am after something specific, just want to get in and get out. Other times, I want to just wander and browse. My husband hates the mall, so if I really want to be alone I just go there.
Another thing is exercising. I want to set my goal and my pacing, and just do it. Husband always tries to get in on it, though. How am I supposed to get my heart rate up on the Wii Fit, if I have to stop and give hima turn after each game? Plus, then it takes me twice as long to get my time in. I wanted to start bicycling again, he got a bike. I want to go for a walk, he wants to go, too. So recently I have started hula hooping. It's fun and challenging, and I can do it in front of the tv. Despite all the male hoppers out there, he deems it a woman's thing, he doesn't want to buy a hoop for himself, and there's not enough space inside for both of us to hoop at the same time. Win!
I also bought the newest DDR, as he hates anything resembling dancing, but haven't opened it yet. Not "real" exercise, I know, but it's better than sitting, LOL!

Back