Pipp's Molar Spurs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipp

Reaction score
I've managed to control her molar spurswith diet, but wouldn't you know it, after just one or two days of me being sick and unable to do up her salad/goodies plate the right way,she's got spurs.:(

If I can gether to eat, 3 our of4 times, they've broken off on their own. I"mjust not sure I want to take the chance ofhaving it go through to Monday, especially since I'm out of Metacam, which usually will start her eating again -- she's VERY sensitive to the slightest discomfort. (I always try not to use the Metacam, it has affected her kidney's in the past).

So do I syringe feed and wait 'til Monday? Or take her in tomorrow? :ponder:

I've booked an appointment, but really not sure.

sas :?

Awww Pipp, sorry to hear her spurs are back. Can you get her in tomorrow? I'd err on the side of caution and get her looked at, before she totally stops eating (and you're dealing with the compunding problems.)

Silly bunny, she was probably worried about you, when you were sick. She knew you weren't yourself. (Or, is it "How dare you not prepare my salad properly!"?)

Yeah, I'm one to err on the side of caution also. I'd rather have the vet look at them and see if they can fix her up for you...

What do you give her to keep the spurs down normally?

See if you can take her in tomorrow, because if she needs a trim, they might not do it that day and will have to schedule for later that week for "surgery day".

I hope she gets better. She looks just like our Molly did just different color.

Sorry to hear Pipp

I think you are better off going tomorrow. Even if Pipp would be fine til Monday, you'd be beside yourself. plus, it must be quite uncomfortable... I never had a bunny with molar spurs so you know best :) But we don't want to be worrying about you worrying too ;)

Sending lots of thoughts and vibes to Sas and Pipp! :big kiss:

I'd take her in tomorrow, if you can, you know best. :)

oh poor pipp and poor you Sas wouldn't you credit it that she waits till you are sick. Actually weren't you sick the last time she had spurs or am i thinking of someone else? maybe she is coming out with symapthy.

I would probably take her in tomorrow as i can remember what a hard time you had with her last time.

:hug:

Well, was getting ready to take her to the vet this morning when she hopped over to her food bowl and started munching on the kale, carrot and pellets. (The kale is one of the veggies that really seems to help with the spurs). She sat there forever, it wasn't the usual 'picking at the food' or the 'chew a little bit, stop, and run to her I-don't-feel-well spot.'

So I called the vet'sand told them I'd keep her here and watch her over the weekend.

Keeping in mind you can only bring them in between 8 and 9 AM, thisstarted at around 7:50.

When Iwent to check at 9 AM, she had eaten about a half inch of a skinny carrot (or less), a bite of kale and that was it. She had been in front of her pellet bowl forever, but hardly ate any at all. And she was in her 'don't feel well' spot. :(

So now I'm syringe feeding her (and the syringe is NOT working well) and regretting not taking her in.

Going to be a loooong weekend. :grumpy:

Thanks for you concern, sorry I didn't take everyone's advice! :(

sas :clover:

Sas, this is what all of our little kids do. Human and fur..... I remember Lex being SO sick one time. She was burning up with fever - 105.5° and I hopped into the car, told hubby I was going to the ER and leaving my son here in bed (it was 2 a.m.) and I literally FLEW down the country roads to the city - a usual 30 to 40 minute drive took me 15 minutes TOPS.

We got to the ER and took her straight into triage...... her temp was normal and she was giggly. They checked her and we went home. Next evening - 104.8 or something like that...... I gave her advil and tylenol and took her out for a drive... she was fine within a couple of days...... she had a virus that was causing a high fever.

They all seem to wait until the weekend also. Never fails. Every time I've needed to take the animals in to the vet in a hurry - Weekend.

Everytime I've needed a horse vet quickly - Weekend.

Everytime the horses have thrown shoes and needed it badly - weekend.

I think they love to stress us out! So I feel for you like you wouldn't believe! I hope it goes better than you expect. Kiss Pipp for me!

Aww...hugs and love to you both, Sas...

I hope Pipp gets just too hungry to resist, and CHOWS down on food! :)

C'mon, Sweetie...I'll bring you DANDELIONS.....

:flowerskiss::pet:

Pipp actually ate some Critical Care -- willingly! Poor baby must be so hungry. :(

(As usual, though, no problem scarfing down oats and nuts, so I guess there's just some things worth the pain). ;)

I think she'll do better with the Metacam, off to pick some up now.

(I'll see Dawn and Zeke there!)

sas :thanks:

Sometimes it nevers fails. The weekends.
A day or two when momma human needs to focus on herself. Bo B, Blue Giants, and everyBody's humor! :balloons:Wazzat, Rosie?, you can STILL get dandelions?!!

Gaseous attack (30-minutes later) on our dwarfy Millie last night due to bitsy broccoli given; wrong veggie as treat snack.

Here's good thoughts to Pipp, sas, so she'll be chomping, chewing sideways and up'n'down, and not let those points be troublesome w/pain (until the vet gets to cuddle her and burr if needed). Continued good vibes for more critical care and consumption of nutrients.

:bestwishes::imsick: please get well soon.

TreasuredFriend wrote:
Sometimes it nevers fails. The weekends.
When it rains, it pours ....

Vets in Edmonton are closed on Sundays.That's why I don't like weekends.

Speaking of rain, how much rain is falling in Vancouver? ;)

TreasuredFriend wrote:
Wazzat, Rosie?, you can STILL get dandelions?!!
OH YEAH...here in two-season California, you can get ANY plant year-round! :biggrin2:

(Our two seasons: mild and a month or two of off and on rains...lol!)

You know, I can't imagine not having seasons, but right about now, I'd love to have a nice constant! Especially dealing with it in Indiana...... Last week was the middle of winter, cold - blistering temps. Tomorrow - 60° F. :censored2:

Actually, it's about 60F here now, too. It's just that we don't get snow, we get a bit of rain (been raining the past couple days...off and on), but mostly in my exact area, we get a desert climate, so extremes in temperature both ways.

But in most of Southern CA, we get mostly mild temps, and even here in my area, I'm still seein' dandelions! :D

Back