Pipp Has Major Poopy Butt :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you thought about making her some weak minttea or some sort of flavored herbal tea? Would that help her want todrink more?

Peg

How's Pipp? Did you decide if you were takingher for the dental appointment tomorrow, or is the spur going away onits own? Is she eating better (I know she was on mostly dill and kaleas of Thursday).

Hope all is well!

Well, sad to say we've both had a bit of arelapse. I spent all day yesterday with a headache, probablyan allergy to housecleaning and/or manual labour combined with lack ofsleep. I think both Pipp and George have my number, they bothkeep waking me up.George just phones as I'mdrifting off, but Pipp ... she either jumps on me, or gagsme.

Yesterday,I wasasleep whentheunmistakable smell of poopy butt woke me up. Thesmelltruly was strong enough to wake me up, and she wasacross the room. So we're back to square one. Shehad been doing really well. I was going to book her fordental surgery on Monday for Tuesday. Now we'reback to syringe feeding and still trying to figure out what works andwhat doesn't.

sas :sigh

:pray:

Sorry to hear this news. Good vibes and prayers of healing continue for you both.

Thanks all. Pipp's in surgery rightnow. She dropped a huge glob of poopy goop on the vet'sexamtable just to demonstrate her problem. She wasvery helpful. :yuck

They still don't know what to give her, but I guess I'm springing forthe $25 bag of Critical Care -- even though I think veggies are better,fiber-wise. This is such a mystery. I'm not surewhat set off the dysbiosis again, but it could have been a little toomuch carrot, too many pellets (she had started eating them again), orpossibly the Metacam, considering the stuff is pretty sweet (although Ithink it started just before I gave her those meds, so I don't think itwas the trigger). I don't think the spurs were the issue, shegot the poopy butt first, and THEN stopped eating.

I can't get an answer from the vets, Etherbun or anywhereelse. This is an issue not only for bunnies that won't eathay, but any rabbits with dysbiosis who have stopped eating would be atrisk. After all, you can't force feed hay. Therehas to be something else that can be done to reset thebalance. The acidophilus doens't seem to be doing much.

If anybody sees any detailed studies re: bacterial imbalances and cecal dysbiosis, please share.

sas

She was even nibbling on lettuce at the vet's. (She won't touch the stuffwhen she's here).

No poops yet, but she did sniff at her kale.

And I ended up passing on the Critical Care, but I had them give her some before she left.

I'm very tired, butI'd better slap myself around and go getthe little princess some fresh veggies. :whatevah

sas :yawn:

Oh so glad to hear she came out of the surgeryok... and I'm still hoping by some random chance the poopy buttdissapears on it's own...

Oh Im so glad she came out okay. Did the vet sayif the molars were bad? I hope that now she is able to eat her regulardiet and kick that poopy butt!

Praying for you both.

The dental surgery is prettynon-intrusive, my vet uses the latest meds, it's more of a tranquilizer(Domitor/Medetomidine), itjust knocks her out for 30 minutes, then they give her reversal to wakeher up. It's safer than a spay or other operations.

She seems okay this morning, she'slooking brighter. I can't tell how much she ate, but sherifled through her salad bowl, the veggies are all over the place now,so she probably ate a sufficient amount. She's had some nottoo bad poops, and no huge clumps of cecal matter, so all is goodthere.

I think I'm going to leave her alone and hope that she knows what'sgood for her (aside from hay). If I try and coax her to eatveggies and/or pellets, we're risking the dysbiosis again.(That said, she just went crazy when I opened the oat drawer, so maybewe'll have to rethink this). ;)

Thanks for caring, guys!

sas:bunnynurse:and pipp :bunnysuit:

Haley wrote:
OhIm so glad she came out okay. Did the vet say if the molars were bad? Ihope that now she is able to eat her regular diet and kick that poopybutt!

Praying for you both.
Oh, forgot to answer this. She had three molars involved, andas usual, they weren't too bad, althougha little worse thanusual. It still wasn't bad enough to have an ulcer on thetongue or anything, just a minor discomfort.

For the first time, she actually showed the usual symptoms just beforeher surgery -- drooling, etc -- which she doesn't normallydo.She's still a wimp!

I'm convinced her veggie diet is the ticket, and not the pellets, eventhough the vet suggested the opposite. I think the veggies(with the exception of maybe the carrots) will provide the fiber andthe texture keep the poopy butt and the molar spurs in check.So she'll get limited pellets, and no slurry, at least fornow. Still not sure what to do if she goes off her foodagain, though. The jury is still out on the pumpkin.

sas

Back