Pinworms?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phinnsmommy

Reaction score
Well yesterday in Phinns poop there was a pinworm... I think.

It was rreaallyy small, probobly about 1-2 millimeters, and white.

How do I treat him? Ah im scared, its kinda creepy thinking theres worms in your baby :(

Silvie

I dunno about treatment and all that but if you haven't done so, try to conserve one to bring to the vet or to post a picture here. :)I hope your bun will be ok.

Can it be some type of maggot? I heard of bunnies sometimes attracting flies and such...

Yeah, its defnietly not a maggot, because I check his butt everyday, and there are never any on him.

And im guessing its pinworms because they are the most common...

Ew! They're not dangerous, but you will need to go to a vet to treat them. Honeypot had this problem with Charlie, I think she was given Ivermectin by her vet.

Alright thanks.

He has to get his nails done anyway, so ill make an appointment.

Can I still proceed with bonding, once I get the new girl? Or will I have to wait until he is done treatment?

Pinworms are difficult to completely eradicate because no dewormer kills all lifestages of the pinworm.

Piperazine rabbit dewormer is available at pet and rabbit supply stores. Ivermectin can also be used. You'll note dead pinworms in the droppings 3+ days after the first treatment.

Pam

Ok, thanks.

Ive never seen Peperazine, can I order it off the internet?

If im going to the vet, I have an appointment for September 8th. So can I start the bonding process before that (if I dont get the peperazine?)

Thanks,
Silvie

Pinworms are easily spread to other rabbits and the eggs spread everywhere. I'd begin treatment and scrub everything down a few times before adding another rabbit.

Yes, Piperazine can be ordered over the internet.

Pam

Back