Pinworms

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virtualtrauma

Reaction score
Hi everyone. This evening I broke apart one of my rabbits poops, just because. I was distracted and looked away but when I looked back it looked like there was a pinworm in the poop. Unfortunately I chucked the poop away without taking a photo but I've opened all of their poops since and haven't found anything. The room was dim and now I'm doubting myself. If it was pinworms should I have seen more? I've been breaking open all poops my rabbits have done since.

It's easier to tell imo from the condition of the rabbit than their poop. You don't always see it in the poop. A rabbit with worms will usually have a hard, bloated belly and thin, brittle fur. You can treat for pinworms even if it doesn't have it though. The dewormer is fairly safe to use and a lot of people use it regularly as a preventative (though I personally don't recommend that)

You won't necessarily keep seeing them even if your rabbit does have them. It's just catching it at the right moment when they happen to be expelled in the poop. If you're fairly certain you saw one, you can pick up some Panacur for rabbits. It's a paste. The usual treatment is one dose then another 10-14 days later, but a UK member mentioned vets there are doing a 9 consecutive day treatment as pinworms can be difficult to clear up. So I would go with the 9 day treatment to be safe.

Medirabbit: pinworms

Though if you aren't sure or have other concerns, contact a knowledgeable rabbit vet. They can also do a fecal float test to check for evidence of pinworms in the feces. But just know that doesn't always pick it up either. So you could come back with a negative fecal float and still find pinworms in the poop to indicate an active worm load. Here's a list of rabbit vets in the UK. Though there are others that aren't on the list.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-...abbit-friendly-vets/rabbit-friendly-vet-list/

Whenever I have notice symptoms of pinworms in my rabbits' poop (weight loss or seeing actual pinworms) I use Safe-Guard Equi-Bits. I have never had any health problems when using these, but it's important you know how much to give your bunny. If you scroll down on this page, you'll find the article on deworming using Safe-Guard Equi-Bits and other dewormers.

Thank you everyone. I contacted my vets and we've started a 9 day course of Panacur. The rabbits all seem fine in themselves and don't have any other symptoms

It's easier to tell imo from the condition of the rabbit than their poop. You don't always see it in the poop. A rabbit with worms will usually have a hard, bloated belly and thin, brittle fur. You can treat for pinworms even if it doesn't have it though. The dewormer is fairly safe to use and a lot of people use it regularly as a preventative (though I personally don't recommend that)
Am a new farmer living Nairobi kenya how can I get the dewormer?

Back