pinworm in rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunny34422

Reaction score
Found a pinworm in Timothy's poop today, confirmed with my local rescue and called his vet to schedule an appointment for tomorrow at noon. He's acting normal but I wanted to ask if there's anything I can do to help him in the meantime?

The rescue told me I'll likely get two doses of panacur to administer 10 days apart. I checked the rest of his poops but they look normal. Going to ask my family to clean his room and litterbox again while I'm at the vets tomorrow. I've read online that recurrence is common, has anyone experienced this where their bunny reinfected themselves?

Last question, is there any way to figure out the cause? I clean his litterbox every night, vacuum daily (I skip some days if it's not that dirty) and clean weekly, no other rabbits in the house and he doesn't go outside (if wild rabbits infect domestic ones? idk I've picked dandelions for him before but stopped a few weeks ago when I saw a wild bun outside).

The Panacur should take care of it. As long as there isn't a heavy infestation, you aren't likely to notice any health effects from pinworms. If this does reoccur after Panacur treatment, I would suggest trying a 5 day course, ,as I've read this might be a more effective treatment. Though I might be inclined to do a straight 10 day course, the one that is usually recommended for e. cuniculi prevention. This would for sure get rid of them.

Thanks guys, just got home from the vets. They said they'll be getting the fecal sample checked out at the lab, not sure how long it should take for the results but I got two syringes of panacur

Attachments

• 82710999-2CB7-4583-B656-F3D77F201C82.jpeg
    82710999-2CB7-4583-B656-F3D77F201C82.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 3
Usually you'll see results with in the day if there's a significant worm load to be expelled once the antiparasitic kills them off. If it's a really heavy worm load, there's something called 'die off', that can in some cases, make a rabbit sick. So if your bun starts acting off or stops eating, contact your vet right away. Though this usually only happens in a severe case.

If you decide you want to do the 9 day course, you could always just request more from your vet. I can't imagine they would have a problem with it. Or it can be bought online or at farm stores otc under a different brand name.

Latest posts

Back