PINK TOES?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelson_is_mine

Reaction score
I know that rabbits don't have pads on the bottom of their feet, just really thick fur. And yesterday I noticed that one of his toes on his front right foot, has no hair on the underside. I don't know how long this has been going on, seeing as I don't really get a chance to see he bottom of his front feet much (he hates having his feet touched) but I haven't noticed him favoring it, or licking at it, so I don't think it's painful for him, I'm just wondering if his sometimes happens, and I should wait to see if it gets worse, or should I take him to the vet ASAP?It just looks like skin. There's no cuts and it's not inflamed and i'm drawing a blank as to what it could be from.

Hmm, thats strange let me check Bunbuns. Nope, i dont see anything like that on him. Maybe you should just keep an eye on him and if it seems to be bigger and spreading take him to the vet. Sorry im not much help:(

-April and Bunbuns

Thanks for the reply, that's my plan for now, and I'll ask about it when i go to work on tues. (I know! On Christmas!) seeing as i work at a vets, but I didn't know if I should try to squeeze him in today or tomorrow....

What kind of bunny do you have?

I know some of my buns with thin fur on their feet have naked toes too. As long as there is no swelling, irritation or open sores I wouldn't be overly worried.

Try giving different types of surfaces for bunny to sit on. If your bunny doesn't chew, you can try some fleecy blankets. Also lots of hay or straw to sit on too.

I wouldn't say it's a medical emergancy unless there are open sores. You can also put some bag balm on his feet.

--Dawn

Thanks. That makes me feel better. He's a lionhead. I wasn't too worried, since he didn't seem to mind it, I was more confused as to why it was happening. I didn't want it to be due to something horrible. His cage floor is lamenate (sp) and he has reign of my room which is carpeting, I might still through a towel in his cage anyway, just so I can feel like I'm doing something.

It's pretty similar to how people develop callouses on their feet. They come about from how a person walks or stands and the types of shoes they wear.

In a bunnies case, it happens due to how they walk/stand, the thickness of their fur and the types of fur they have. Pretty much the only variable a caretaker can help with is the flooring.

I would monitor your bunnies feet to make sure it doesn't get worse. You can change the flooring up or put some bag balm on his feet.

--Dawn

I would keep an eye on it. It could be a fungus.

Does he put his feet in his water bowl at all?

Roger

Yes, he does put his feet in the water bowl, and I wondered if that could be the origional cause, but it just looks like skin. There's a horse at the barn and a cat at my work who have fungus and it looks gross, so i didn't think about it again. I'll just bring him into work with me sometime this week just incase, i guess.

Thanks for the quick responses everyone, I'll try to keep all yoru suggestions in mind and I'll keep ya posted.

How does he put his feet in the water bowl? Does he just walk in it without thinking? Or does he he deliberately place his front feet in the bowl?

If it's the latter, that might be an indication of something amiss. I've never been clear on the exact meaning, but with my guys, it's either a sign of an elevated temperature or pain or something. My mini rex does that during his gas attacks, and I've had others do it while under stress or illness of some kind.

sas :?

When he begs to be let out of his cage sometimes, since his water is near the door, when he drops down, his front feet sometimes land in the water bowl. he always seems quite startled by it, so i don't think it's intentional.

Roger is right, it could be a fungus. Mini Rex in particular, are prone to it on their toes. (And I've had them get it even when they don't get their feet wet.)

I use white iodine (applied to the toes with a cotton swab) once a day for two to three weeks.This might be difficult if he won't allow you to touch his feet! (And don't forget a thorough cleaning of the cage floor!) The white iodine is only available at a pharmacy, and it smells very bad (at least to me!). But they don't lick it off and it can not hurt them if they do.

If it's a fungus, itcan and will spread to the other feet. You won't see any inflammation, he'll just lose all the hair on his toes. After a time, the toes will get irritated and more problems can arise.

Also consider giving him a different floor to stand on.

Is the fur missing on top of his toes, or just on the bottom? I have some bunnies that have thin to no fur on the bottom of their toes, you jsut have to be careful that it doesn't become sore. So long as it's normal skin, not iritated or inflamed, it should be ok.

Latest posts

Back