Pink sores on my bunnies feet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeanutLover

Reaction score
Hey guys
I have a Netherland dwarf bunny Named peanut who seems a bit prone to getting calluses in his hind feet. We noticed them for the first Time about a year ago (he’s only 3 years old) and brought him to the vet for his regular nail trim and they said that it was ok and to put some sort of hydrating ointment like vaseline On them to make sure they stay hydrated and don’t crack. Due to this pandemic everything has been shut down for about 2 months now where we live and he hasn’t gotten his nails trimmed in this time. During one of my everyday check ups on his feet I realized his sores have come back and they’re a bit bigger than usual (of course they’re still tiny cause he has tiny hind feet) But I know this is because of the length of his nails. We’re going to cut them ourselves but we have always been terrified because the last thing we want is to hurt him or cut too deep. But we know that there is no choice and we will do it based on the countless amount of times we’ve seen him get his nails trimmed. My bunny is a roam free bunny at all times we don’t believe in cages, he stays in a very large area covered by carpet and we even put extra fluffy covers on certain parts so he has an extra comfy area to relax on. Although the sores bug me I want to know if any of you’s have any other recommendations besides keeping them hydrated with vaseline . I’ll attach some pictures below!

Attachments

• A1B0BCEE-CA88-451D-B4C4-FA8B86E0192F.png
    A1B0BCEE-CA88-451D-B4C4-FA8B86E0192F.png
    233.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 1D9BB4FD-4BB3-423B-9547-9FE4C3CCD8C4.jpeg
    1D9BB4FD-4BB3-423B-9547-9FE4C3CCD8C4.jpeg
    198.8 KB · Views: 5
  • F7843BA9-5DD1-447C-A1BC-5D8A0DCD9BBD.jpeg
    F7843BA9-5DD1-447C-A1BC-5D8A0DCD9BBD.jpeg
    80.2 KB · Views: 7
My bun has sore hocks too they seem to be getting better they were really red before but when I noticed them I used chlorhexidine (might have spelled it wrong) and soaked her hocks 2x a day 20 minutes. There are certain measurements (I got this from 101rabbits YouTube) I Also started to use more blankets not fleece I felt as if they weren't cushiony enough. I also got foam puzzle mats too It seemed to have helped out much more to me:)

If they look a light pink then it's best to leave them alone and continue to do what you are doing, giving soft surfaces, layers of fleece, memory foam, etc. If they get red you could put some F10 ointment on - just a very tiny amount, rub it in so it gets absorbed and he doesn't lick it all off. And, yeah, keeping on top of the nails helps. Good luck with that!

Hey guys
I have a Netherland dwarf bunny Named peanut who seems a bit prone to getting calluses in his hind feet. We noticed them for the first Time about a year ago (he’s only 3 years old) and brought him to the vet for his regular nail trim and they said that it was ok and to put some sort of hydrating ointment like vaseline On them to make sure they stay hydrated and don’t crack. Due to this pandemic everything has been shut down for about 2 months now where we live and he hasn’t gotten his nails trimmed in this time. During one of my everyday check ups on his feet I realized his sores have come back and they’re a bit bigger than usual (of course they’re still tiny cause he has tiny hind feet) But I know this is because of the length of his nails. We’re going to cut them ourselves but we have always been terrified because the last thing we want is to hurt him or cut too deep. But we know that there is no choice and we will do it based on the countless amount of times we’ve seen him get his nails trimmed. My bunny is a roam free bunny at all times we don’t believe in cages, he stays in a very large area covered by carpet and we even put extra fluffy covers on certain parts so he has an extra comfy area to relax on. Although the sores bug me I want to know if any of you’s have any other recommendations besides keeping them hydrated with vaseline . I’ll attach some pictures below!
My bun has now developed something similar for some reason and i had been wondering about it as well but as always, what i think of as worrysome is deemed irrelevant by my parents until it might be too late so i also struggle with that. I will also take tips of softening his flooring and rubbing with vaseline to see if it helps.

I got some pictures of his both front feet
(Excuse the fingers)
20200501_172233.jpg20200501_172217.jpg

They're like weird bald bumps that just came. His hind feet seem to have toughened fur that sometimes scalds or sheds? Like dandruff of some sort...

I saw 101Rabbits Youtube vids on how she prevents her buns from getting sore hocks - she layers the buns area with memory foam mats and if they do chew them, cover it with fleece.

Edit: I just watched the vid again and she says carpet is quite abrasive on their foot!

sorry I was midway editing the comment but my bun peed on my bed so had to clean 😭

6:14 is how she treats sore hocks, she also has a vid on how to trim nails - use a phone flashlight to see the nail kwik, wet paw fur to make it easier to seperate - I seem to get blinded by the light myself, not sure where to aim to see kwik and SEE 🤣 I did it myself first time few days ago, it was difficult as my bun was very wiggly but luckily she's weak so somewhat easier.. ugh I dread doing it again.. GOODLUCK

another vid on sorehocks treatment

Last edited:
My bun has now developed something similar for some reason and i had been wondering about it as well but as always, what i think of as worrysome is deemed irrelevant by my parents until it might be too late so i also struggle with that. I will also take tips of softening his flooring and rubbing with vaseline to see if it helps.
I know what you mean! Luckily my parents always listen to me and make vet appointments as soon as possible. Definitely soften up his flooring and put some Vaseline to make sure they don’t crack and start bleeding! And keep monitoring them!

My bun has sore hocks too they seem to be getting better they were really red before but when I noticed them I used chlorhexidine (might have spelled it wrong) and soaked her hocks 2x a day 20 minutes. There are certain measurements (I got this from 101rabbits YouTube) I Also started to use more blankets not fleece I felt as if they weren't cushiony enough. I also got foam puzzle mats too It seemed to have helped out much more to me:)
Thank you! I will look into soaking his feet!

If they look a light pink then it's best to leave them alone and continue to do what you are doing, giving soft surfaces, layers of fleece, memory foam, etc. If they get red you could put some F10 ointment on - just a very tiny amount, rub it in so it gets absorbed and he doesn't lick it all off. And, yeah, keeping on top of the nails helps. Good luck with that!
Yeah they’re a pretty light pink but I don’t want them to get worst so I’ve been putting small amounts of Vaseline to keep them hydrated and lots of fleece covers so that he always has somewhere soft to rest

sorry I was midway editing the comment but my bun peed on my bed so had to clean 😭

6:14 is how she treats sore hocks, she also has a vid on how to trim nails - use a phone flashlight to see the nail kwik, wet paw fur to make it easier to seperate - I seem to get blinded by the light myself, not sure where to aim to see kwik and SEE 🤣 I did it myself first time few days ago, it was difficult as my bun was very wiggly but luckily she's weak so somewhat easier.. ugh I dread doing it again.. GOODLUCK

another vid on sorehocks treatment

Thank you so much!! Will definitely cover my floor all with fleece and memory foam now! Before it was just certain parts but I think now I’ll just cover the entire carpet. As per trimming his nails I will do everything the video shows! Once again thank you!!

Thank you so much!! Will definitely cover my floor all with fleece and memory foam now! Before it was just certain parts but I think now I’ll just cover the entire carpet. As per trimming his nails I will do everything the video shows! Once again thank you!!
Maybe you don't need to since you think it's her long nails that has caused the sore hocks.

I don't know about my bun, he used to be absolutely destructive before his knee swell up a month ago so he's stopped the digging and chewing of my rug but i'm sure that whenever he heals, IF he heals, he'll be back at it once more.
He was notorious for flipping stuff up and destroying them back in his old household too, so i guess it's just in his codes to be extra destructive. He chewed away a cooling pad that i'd bought for him from the petstore(never ever doing it again) he destroyed a water bottle that he had, and the sweet-looking cotton fabric body muffler that i made got destroyed as well. received_577838736363359.jpeg20191111_164257.jpgThe somewhat tunnel-y thing of cardboard boxes, wooden sticks and cloth that i'd created for him had totally been wrecked as well. I didn't have any pictures of it though. Back when i covered his enclosure with fleece and it'd hang inside of it, he'd drag the blanket down and completely wreck said fleece fabric..

I don't know about my bun, he used to be absolutely destructive before his knee swell up a month ago so he's stopped the digging and chewing of my rug but i'm sure that whenever he heals, IF he heals, he'll be back at it once more.
He was notorious for flipping stuff up and destroying them back in his old household too, so i guess it's just in his codes to be extra destructive. He chewed away a cooling pad that i'd bought for him from the petstore(never ever doing it again) he destroyed a water bottle that he had, and the sweet-looking cotton fabric body muffler that i made got destroyed as well. View attachment 47288View attachment 47289The somewhat tunnel-y thing of cardboard boxes, wooden sticks and cloth that i'd created for him had totally been wrecked as well. I didn't have any pictures of it though. Back when i covered his enclosure with fleece and it'd hang inside of it, he'd drag the blanket down and completely wreck said fleece fabric..
I suggest not keeping him in a wired bottom cage! Even with the most padding it can cause harm in their legs because it is too much pressure and they never have truly any safe space to relax! The chewing and biting at everything can also be a sign that he’s bored! It’s best to stay away from water bottles and get them use to drinking from a bowl! Also try and give him as much as you can free roaming time to exercise his legs as safely as possible since you said he has a swollen knee :(. If the swelling in his knees seem to become more serious go check them out he might need medication but I have a feeling it might be from the wired bottom cage! You seem to really care about your bun and I really appreciate it, it’s always nice to see someone take a lot of interest into their pets! Just always keep him in super comfortable flooring and try and prevent cages! It’lI give some time to finally relax his knee. I know it’s easier said than done

Back